Intervlan routing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bill, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi there,

    Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm having a real problems
    with configuring dot1q encapsulation on a 3600 series router. I have 2 2950
    switches and a 3600 router, the switches are all configured fine but when I
    come to configure the dot1q encapsulation on the fa0/0 subinterfaces the
    router says unrecognised command for encapsulation. This is what I'm doing
    :-

    RouterA(config)#interface fastethernet0/0
    RouterA(config-if)#no ip address
    RouterA(config-if)#no shutdown
    RouterA(config-if)#interface fastethernet0/0.1
    RouterA(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 10
    ^ unrecognised command

    What am I doing wrong, I didn't think this was that tricky.

    Thanks,
    Bill.

    Bill, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Bill

    teggs Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm having a real problems
    > with configuring dot1q encapsulation on a 3600 series router. I have 2

    2950
    > switches and a 3600 router, the switches are all configured fine but when

    > come to configure the dot1q encapsulation on the fa0/0 subinterfaces the
    > router says unrecognised command for encapsulation. This is what I'm doing
    > :-
    >
    > RouterA(config)#interface fastethernet0/0
    > RouterA(config-if)#no ip address
    > RouterA(config-if)#no shutdown
    > RouterA(config-if)#interface fastethernet0/0.1
    > RouterA(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 10
    > ^ unrecognised command
    >
    > What am I doing wrong, I didn't think this was that tricky.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill.

    Hi Bill,

    It is most likely that the IOS running on your router has no IEEE 802.1Q
    support.
    For supported versions check out the IOS feature navigator on CCO:

    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

    This tool will tell you that the basic IP feature set does not support IEEE
    802.1Q Vlan trunking and it is most likely that this is what you have
    installed. You will need to upgrade to at least the IP PLUS feature set.

    Good luck!

    Teggs

    teggs, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "teggs" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm having a real problems
    > > with configuring dot1q encapsulation on a 3600 series router. I have 2

    > 2950
    > > switches and a 3600 router, the switches are all configured fine but

    when
    > > come to configure the dot1q encapsulation on the fa0/0 subinterfaces the
    > > router says unrecognised command for encapsulation. This is what I'm

    doing
    > > :-
    > >
    > > RouterA(config)#interface fastethernet0/0
    > > RouterA(config-if)#no ip address
    > > RouterA(config-if)#no shutdown
    > > RouterA(config-if)#interface fastethernet0/0.1
    > > RouterA(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 10
    > > ^ unrecognised command
    > >
    > > What am I doing wrong, I didn't think this was that tricky.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Bill.
    > >

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > It is most likely that the IOS running on your router has no IEEE 802.1Q
    > support.
    > For supported versions check out the IOS feature navigator on CCO:
    >
    > http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp
    >
    > This tool will tell you that the basic IP feature set does not support

    IEEE
    > 802.1Q Vlan trunking and it is most likely that this is what you have
    > installed. You will need to upgrade to at least the IP PLUS feature set.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Teggs

    Hi Teggs,

    Thanks mate I'll check it out at work today.

    Bill.

    Bill, Mar 4, 2004