Intervlan routing with a managed router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by xlr8, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. xlr8

    xlr8 Guest

    At present I work for a company that has a WAN that comprises of
    Managed routers. Each office has a Cisco router that is managed by a
    large Telecomunications provider.

    I've finally managed to get the company to start implementing VLANs.
    Now normally I would just jump into the router and create a
    sub-interfaces for each VLAN and run dot1q trunking however since I
    can't gain access to the managed router I would have to submit a
    request for each vlan change.....painful.

    So my question is, with the topology below is there a way I can
    implement VLANs without needing to go through the service provider all
    the time.

    Users -> CoreSwitch -> WAN Router -> Firewall
    Server->

    All systems have the WAN Router as the default gateway, it's default
    gatway is the firewall.

    My initial thoughts were to make the CoreSwitch (4510R) the default
    gateway and do the InterVLAN routing inside the switch and publish the
    routes to the WAN Router and via RIPv2.

    Is this a good idea and would it enable the all office to the relevant
    VLANs, is there a better way to do this?

    Thanks in adavance.

    xlr8, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Your idea of using the switch to route between vlans is probably the
    best way to do it since you don't manage the WAN router.
    RIPv2/eigrp/ospf will suffice for advertising the routes between your
    switch and the managed router. This is assuming that the telco will
    allow you to use a routing protocol, I can't see why they wouldn't.

    -Russ
    CCIE #9473 (Security/R&S), CISSP

    Russell Lusignan, Aug 19, 2004