InterVLAN Routing and Trunks

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by davidrwolf, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. davidrwolf

    davidrwolf

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Was just looking for validation and input for this proposed network plan:

    My new client has (2) Cat4507 connected through optical ports, with a 2621 router connected to one of the 4507's for external. There are currently NO VLAN's.

    I am planning on creating VLAN's for servers and desktop ports connected to each Cat4507. Since both Cat4507's have Supervisor-II+, we are going to enable IP routing on the switch.

    My question is this: Since the Cat4507's can route, do I really need to build trunks between the 4507's, and bet. (1) 4507 and the 2621 Router? It seems that InterVLAN routing is being taken care of, as well as routing through a default route, so I'm not sure a dot1q or ISL trunk is required. In fact, with the planned addressing scheme it's not clear what address would be used on the trunking ports:

    4507a:
    interface 0/0
    100.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    vlan 100
    ip 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    vlan 10
    ip 10.1.10.1 255.255.255.0

    4507b:
    vlan 100
    ip 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    vlan 11
    ip 10.1.11.1 255.255.255.0

    2621:
    interface 0/0
    ip 100.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

    <Router 2621 - 0/0>---<4507a - 0/0>---<4507b>

    Also, wasn't sure if I could assign "10.1.1.1" as vlan IP address on each switch? It's just for 2 holdover servers, these can be moved thus removing the need for vlan100 on 4507b but wanted to know in any case. THANKS!

    Darow
    davidrwolf, Jul 26, 2006