Interpreting HP OfficeJet d145 debug print color problems for an idiot

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Susan Sharm, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. Susan Sharm

    Susan Sharm Guest

    I'm thoroughly confused and I need your interpretive experience.

    I don't know how to INTERPRET results from printer test pages!

    Can you help me identify the real problem based on test results below?

    -----------------------------------
    Details follow:
    -----------------------------------
    My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer has been printing streaky
    colors for a few weeks (it came upon me all of a sudden though ...
    right in the middle of a photo print) - and I don't know how to
    interpret the results from all the test pages I ran. These diagnostic
    test pages are trying to tell me "something" but (I must admit) I do
    not know how to "interpret" what my eyes can see!
    -----------------------------------
    I wish I had run these tests the day I got the printer and saved the
    results to compare now!
    -----------------------------------
    My problem is I feel kind of dumb as these "utilities" on the printer
    are definately "showing" me the problem (and they do show me streaky
    colors) but I do not know how to INTERPRET those diagnostic reports! I
    see lots of pink, nice black, green & red ok, the blue comes and goes
    within any one print but I can't really tell if it is just the blue. I
    never knew I was so color challenged!
    -----------------------------------
    The ink on the c5011a (black) & c5010a (tricolor) ink cartridges is
    near the full level (this HP ink cartridge set is nearly unused
    although it has been in the Hewlett Packard printer for almost a year
    as I do not print very much).
    -----------------------------------
    WHAT TESTS HAVE I MISSED?
    1. I turned the HPOJd145 on & off to activate the startup "SELF TEST",
    which did not report any errors.

    2. I opened up the Windows XP "Printers and Faxes" window, right
    clicked on my "HP OfficeJet D Series Printer" icon, selected
    "Properties", pressed "Print Test Page" (see results below for
    interpretation).

    3. I followed the "HP Officejet d145 Reference Guide" instructions for
    removing & replacing with the same ink cartridges (I had no others at
    hand). This (not surprisingly) did not change anything; neither did
    removing and replacing with the same printheads. I then "cleaned" the
    printheads using MENU, 7 (STATUS AND MAINTENANCE), 2 (CLEAN
    PRINTHEADS).

    4. Pressing MENU, 3 (PRINT REPORT), 5 (SELF-TEST REPORT) printed two
    pages which I need help in interpreting (see below).

    5. Pressing MENU, 7, 1 (CHECK INK LEVEL) reported two lines in the
    front-panel LCD display of "Black 80%", "Color 60%".

    6. Pressing MENU, 7, 4 (PERFORM COLOR CALIBRATION) printed a page
    containing instructions and a block with a border containing a 9 by 9
    array of 81 smaller blocks in various shades of pink and greenish grey
    from which I'm supposed to visually determine a correct "Color Patch
    Number". I'm supposed to then type in that color patch number into the
    front-palen display and then press "ENTER". Again I need help in
    interpreting these results (see below).

    7. Pressing MENU, 7, 3 (ALIGN PRINTHEADS) printed a cryptic sheet
    containing hundreds of small boxes of black, cyan, magenta, and yellow
    boxes (and even a blurry to clear tri-color parrot) in all shades but
    no instructions on how to interpret the many shaded boxes.

    8. I downloaded the
    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/PaletteTestPages.htm
    palotte test page for reds, oranges, yellows, greens, and blues This
    result from this page seems to contradict results from single-color
    tests above (see below). I'm so even more confused after running this
    test - but I see most of the problems from this test (which is all the
    more confusing).

    9. Did miss any obvious printer tests that will point me to the problem
    (or am I just missing the obvious pointer already)?

    10. Would you kindly help me with the interpretation of the color test
    results below?
    -----------------------------------
    A. HOW DO WE INTERPRET WINDOWS XP PRINTER TEST PAGE RESULTS?
    This test printed one page saying "Congratulations. If you can read
    this information, you have correctly installed your hp officejet d
    series printer on SUSAN. The information below describes our printer
    driver and port settings. blah blah blah" It might be notable that the
    small flag of the Microsoft logo on the top left of this "Windows XP
    Printer Test Page" of (clockwise from top right) the colors green,
    yellow, blue, & orange seemed to print ok.
    -----------------------------------
    B. HOW DO WE INTERPRET THE TWO-PAGE SELF-TEST REPORT RESULTS?
    This test printed two pages, the first of which first had three
    sections.

    Page 1 Section 1 listed specifics about the printer model, serial
    number, service ID (whatever that is), firmware revision, optional
    accessories, and total page count (of 363 pages).

    Page 1 Section 2a listed "Ink Cartridge Information" for the "Black Ink
    Level" showing a dark black box and then a long light gray bar with
    80% at the end (why isn't the bar black?) and an expiration date of
    08/16/2006 for the hp no. 14 c5011a black ink cartridge.

    The "Ink Cartridge Information" subsection for the "Color Ink Level"
    showed a dark tricolor box (the yellow is easily seen) and then a long
    light tricolor bar of (from top to bottom) light blue, magenta, &
    yellow (they yellow bar is barely visible) with 60% at the end (why are
    these colors so light) and an expiration date of 08/16/2006 for the HP
    #14 hpc5010a ink cartridge.

    Page 1 Section 3 listed "Printhead Information" showing 4 distinct
    boxes showing CYAN, BLACK, MAGENTA, and YELLOW quite boldly and
    clearly, along with a Status of OV (whatever that is), the installation
    date, and other cartridge information already listed. The "Printhead
    Alignment" sub section showed 8 dark black vertically oriented
    rectangles all aligned well, and six dual-color vertical boxes and six
    sets of two dual vertically oriented colored lines, all seemingly
    aligned and six sets of horizontally oriented dual color lines, again,
    all seemingly in line.

    On the bottom of that first page, just before the "Please recycle this
    page" reminder, is the belated suggestion of "! Do not remove
    printheads untli replacemnts are available." (oh, oh, did I damage them
    by removing my printheads and putting them back immediately???).

    Page 2 contains four fat bold color bars encompassing the top third of
    the 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper in portait mode with the rest of the page
    blank. While all four color bars (CYAN, BLACK, MAGENTA, and YELLOW) are
    bold and clear, the inch-wide CYAN bar has an unexpected 3/8 inch clear
    white "cloud" starting at the left side of the paper stretching like an
    oil slick into the center of the paper where it fades to light blue and
    then back to dark bold CYAN. There is absolutely no ink in that white
    cloud but there are no white streaks whatsoever in all the other
    portions of the dark cyan color bar. I seriously need help in
    interpreting these unexpected results.

    In stark contrast, the half-inch wide black bar is bold and clear but
    it has streaks of very thin white strands that roll horizontally across
    the paper by the full width.

    In further contrast, the inch wide magenta and yellow bars are quite
    dark, bold, and contain no streaks of any sort.
    -----------------------------------
    C. HOW DO WE INTERPRET COLOR CALIBRATION INSTRUCTIONS?
    The instructions for the color tint test page say to hold the results 8
    inches ahead and slowly move the page containing the 9x9 arrowy of
    pinkish-to-greenish blocks until they somehow magically "fade into the
    background". Are they crazy? Or am I? NONE of the boxes even comes
    close to fading into the background (at any arms length distance)!

    The first boxes (numbered 01, 02, 03, etc.) are pinkish and the last
    few boxes (79, 80, 81) are greenish. The background is a single shade
    of grey. I guess if I really really really try to play along with them,
    the numbers at the top right (e.g., 07, 08, 09, and 16, 17, 18) seem
    the "greyest" but none are really as grey as the background. If you
    forced me at gunpoint to "enter a color patch number", I'd timidly type
    "09", however reluctantly (which I did).
    -----------------------------------
    D. HOW DO WE INTERPRET THE ALIGN PRINTHEADS PRINTOUT REPORT?
    The most cryptic of all printouts seems to be the align printheads
    output report. It contains a confusing (to me) set of three arrays and
    two objects which seem easier to interpret.

    Section 1, from right to left, starting on the right side of the
    landscape page is an object which looks like a seesaw sans fulcrum with
    one person sitting backward. That is, it contains a black box with a
    line eminating from one corner and another black box connected to the
    line at another corner, all of which is dark and distinct (which I must
    suspect is the main point). A bold green check arrow seems to indicate
    OK (but maybe I'm stretching my interpretive skills by assuming that.)

    Section 2, to the left of that black see-saw, is a blurry multi-color
    parrot and a dark black arrow pointing to a distinct and bold
    multi-color parrot. I also suspect this is fine (but how do I know)?
    There is no check arrow under that parrot so I assume the prior green
    arrow suffices.

    Section 3, to the left of the two parrots, is a 7 by 7 vertical
    oriented array of yellow, magenta, cyan, and black boxes, one set of
    which is filled in while the other sets are excel spreadsheeted and one
    of the sets is dashed lines. They look OK to me but what am I looking
    for? This time there are 7 green check arrows at the bottom of the
    page, these being the boldest green arrows on that printer test page.

    Section 4, to the left of the excel spreadhseeted boxes are another
    array, this time of 5 by 4 single color horizontal lines most of which
    seem to be dark and bold except the yellow and black single large box
    at the top have some streaks initially at the edge of the paper (the
    yellow and magenta are bold throughout). In the many horizontal bars,
    there are slight streaks in the black and even less in the blue, but in
    both cases they are very slight in those 41 other rows. Of the five
    green check arrows, first two (right to left) check arrows are very
    bold, the next three have a slight bit of yellow on their thin tips (am
    I stretching the interpretation to assume that slight bit of yellow is
    significant?).

    Section 5, on the left side of the landscape printout test page is
    similar to the previous section except that the array of 2 by 4
    horizontal oriented bars and dashed lines are now yellow, magenta,
    cyan, and black instead of being a single color. Again, exept at the
    very top edge of the paper where the colros for black and blue appear
    slightly smudged (but not on all top bars), the colors seem perfectly
    fine to me. Even the smudged parts are only on the beginning of the
    blocks and only in some blocks, so I suspect this may be due to
    "normal" edge-of-paper effects ??? The two green check marks at the
    bottom of the page clearly have yellow tips and are otherwise bold
    green (like a brush dipped in yellow & green paint).
    -----------------------------------
    D. HOW DO WE INTERPRET THE COLOR PALETTE PRINTOUT REPORT?
    The color palette printout from
    http://www.alotofthings.com/primer_palette/cpt3_.pdf seems to
    contradict much of what is shown above. Worse yet, while most tests
    shown above don't show me a problem, this page seems to show me
    problems in "mixing" of colors.

    Section RED is on the top row which shades from something called
    "pagoda", to "vermillion", to "cardinal", to "scarlet", to "christmas",
    to "carnival", to "chianti", and finally to "candy apple". These are
    clearly red, but, none are what I'd call really bright red. They are
    more like a blackish red, sort of like the darkish red of the Coca Cola
    can my kid left on the kitchen table just now. Comparing with the
    screen display of the PDF, they are a little darker and a bit less red
    and more orangey than what I see on the computer.

    Section ORANGE contains two rows of 8 squares each from "parchment" to
    "ochre", which, in contrast, I'd say are more red than orange (but
    who'se to say?). Certainly none are a bright pumpkin orange. Again,
    they are sort of like a darkish orange color not too dissimilar than
    the colors I see on the screen for that test PDF page.

    Section YELLOW is bright, bold, and yellow, much like that of the PDF
    test page on screen. I don't have any esthetic complaints, it seems,
    about the yellows.

    Section GREEN is very dissapointing. None of the 8 by 3 squares is as
    vividly green as in the onscreen test PDF and only the last three
    "turtle", "jungle" and "billiard" even remotely approach a green army
    jeep color. The rest are actually almost fully yellow, with some having
    green streaks going through them (but not all). So, the green section
    is actually mostly yellow except for those three colors and perhaps the
    "turf" color too.

    Section BLUE is also disheartening as it's not even remotely blue.
    Worse than the green (which at least had three greens) none of the
    blues even remotely look like those of the test PDF on screen. They
    start out as light yellow at the "Polar" and "Robin's Egg" boxes, turn
    to grayish in the "teal" and "newport" boxes, switch to pinkish cyanish
    in the "blueprint" and "french" boxes then to darker pinkish cyan in
    the final "cobalt", "prussian" & "dresden" boxes.
    -----------------------------------
    SUMMARY:
    -----------------------------------
    I'm not sure what to interpret because the HP supplied test pages
    "seem" to indicate the colors are OK'ish, while the arbitrary non-HP
    test page seems to indicate otherwise. There is plenty of blue and some
    bold green checkmarks in the HP test pages, but I'm almost totally
    missing blue and green in the arbitrary non-HP test page.

    I apologize for the lengthy details (I wanted you to have as much
    information as I had).
    Can you help interpret these results for me and the many others who
    must follow?

    Thank you in advance,
    Susan Harm
    Susan Sharm, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Susan Sharm

    Bob Thompson Guest

    Susan wrote:
    > Can you help me identify the real problem based on test results below?

    The real problem is you're using an HP printer instead of a real
    printer.

    If you chose the better Epson printers, you would be able to refill the
    ink tanks and eliminate the ink level as one of the suspected areas.
    Bob Thompson, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Susan Sharm

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer has been printing streaky
    >colors for a few weeks (it came upon me all of a sudden though ...
    >right in the middle of a photo print)

    Sounds like a clogged nozzle ... see if there's a nozzle check test
    that prints out a test pattern to verify this and if so run the
    cleaning cycle until it clears (sorry if you already did this, I didn't
    read everything you posted, but this is the typical symptom of clogged
    nozzles, typically an air bubble)
    Bill Hilton, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Susan Sharm

    measekite Guest

    Re: Interpreting HP OfficeJet d145 debug print color problems foran idiot

    TOO LONG TO READ BUT I RECOMMEND THAT YOU CALL HP TECH SUPPORT AFTER
    READING THE MANUAL

    measekite, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Re: Interpreting HP OfficeJet d145 debug print color problems foran idiot

    measekite wrote:
    > TOO LONG TO READ BUT I RECOMMEND T

    So, how 'bout trimming your reply??

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Susan Sharm

    Susan Sharm Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > So, how 'bout trimming your reply?

    Is there somewhere I can post the PDF of the printed results so experts
    can see the problem first hand (a picture is worth a thousand words
    when debugging printer problems).

    My friend who saw the printouts said I should replace the CYAN
    printhead (HP #14 hpc4921a)? He said it was very expensive (how
    expensive)? Since I have time to order on the Internet, and since the
    printer only has 300 or so pages printed in the three years I've owned
    it, I wonder ........

    Is there a good web-based supplier of inexpensive remanufactured HP
    printheads ?
    Susan Sharm, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Susan Sharm

    Tony Guest

    "Susan Sharm" <> wrote:
    >John McWilliams wrote:
    >> So, how 'bout trimming your reply?

    >Is there somewhere I can post the PDF of the printed results so experts
    >can see the problem first hand (a picture is worth a thousand words
    >when debugging printer problems).
    >
    >My friend who saw the printouts said I should replace the CYAN
    >printhead (HP #14 hpc4921a)? He said it was very expensive (how
    >expensive)? Since I have time to order on the Internet, and since the
    >printer only has 300 or so pages printed in the three years I've owned
    >it, I wonder ........
    >
    >Is there a good web-based supplier of inexpensive remanufactured HP
    >printheads ?

    I have seen printheads (#14) for about US$39 but you may find them cheaper than
    this. I don't know of anyone who remanufactures them and I doubt if it would be
    worth while considering the complexity of doing so.
    Feel free to e-mail the PDF to me at the above address and I would be happy to
    have a look.
    I have to say that one of the problems you may have is the infrequency of
    printing, All inkjet printers need regular use to keep the printheads healthy;
    at least 2 pages per week is my personal recommendation, each page should use
    all colours, the test prints you mentiioned are a good idea but tend to use a
    lot of ink, you could perhaps edit them and reduce the amount of ink used that
    way.
    Tony
    Tony, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Susan Sharm

    Susan Sharm Guest

    I finally found the explanation of the complex HP printer color test
    pages!

    So that others save the time it took me to find this explanation of the
    intricate color test patterns output by an HP all in one officejet
    printer, see the explanations at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bpa00224#

    >From the color test results, I'm assuming the HPC4921A #14 CYAN print

    head is clogged. Since the print head is no good, I just now soaded the
    top screen in amonia and gently wiped the bottom gold contacts with an
    alcohol soaked cotton swab. This didn't seem to unclog the print head
    so I am still looking for a better way to clean the printhead than this
    procedure (which I found by googling).

    Susan
    Susan Sharm, Nov 13, 2005
  9. Susan Sharm

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:13:01 -0800, Susan Sharm wrote:

    > I finally found the explanation of the complex HP printer color test
    > pages!
    >
    > So that others save the time it took me to find this explanation of the
    > intricate color test patterns output by an HP all in one officejet
    > printer, see the explanations at:
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bpa00224#
    >
    >>From the color test results, I'm assuming the HPC4921A #14 CYAN print

    > head is clogged. Since the print head is no good, I just now soaded the
    > top screen in amonia and gently wiped the bottom gold contacts with an
    > alcohol soaked cotton swab. This didn't seem to unclog the print head
    > so I am still looking for a better way to clean the printhead than this
    > procedure (which I found by googling).
    >
    > Susan

    Are not the print heads renewable?
    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email
    Neil Ellwood, Nov 13, 2005
  10. Susan Sharm

    Susan Sharm Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > Are not the print heads renewable?

    Hi Neil,
    I am not sure what you are asking.

    There are two ink "tanks" on this HP OfficeJet d145. One for black, and
    another for the three colors cyan, magenta, and yellow. Below the ink
    tanks are four separate printheads, one for each color.

    The printhead can be replaced but I see that most of the time a "bad"
    printhead is merely clogged so I'm trying to unclog the printhead.

    Is that what you mean by "renewable"?

    My question is what is the procedure to unclog a clogged printhead.

    Susan
    Susan Sharm, Nov 13, 2005
  11. Susan Sharm

    Bob I Guest

    Re: Interpreting HP OfficeJet d145 debug print color problems foran idiot

    renewable=replacable. If plugged too bad you will need to buy replacements.

    Bob I, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Susan Sharm

    Bob I wrote:

    > renewable=replacable. If plugged too bad you will need to buy
    > replacements.
    >
    > Susan Sharm wrote:
    >
    >> Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are not the print heads renewable?

    >> Hi Neil,
    >> I am not sure what you are asking.
    >>
    >> There are two ink "tanks" on this HP OfficeJet d145. One for black, and
    >> another for the three colors cyan, magenta, and yellow. Below the ink
    >> tanks are four separate printheads, one for each color.
    >>
    >> The printhead can be replaced but I see that most of the time a "bad"
    >> printhead is merely clogged so I'm trying to unclog the printhead.
    >>
    >> Is that what you mean by "renewable"?
    >>
    >> My question is what is the procedure to unclog a clogged printhead.
    >>
    >> Susan

    GLAD TO HEAR THE GOOD NEWS. CANON OEM, EPSON OEM, AND HP OEM INKS HAVE
    LESS CHANCE OF CLOGGING SO YOUWOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK THAT QUESTION.

    measekite, Nov 14, 2005