interpherence from phone

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have a 802.11g home wireless lan that works fine except that I have
    significant interference from my phones. I have several 2.4 GHz phone around
    the home. If I unplug the power to some of the phones, the signal power of
    the lan gets stronger in various areas of the house. If an extension phone
    rings with an incoming call near where I am working and where the lan
    reception is weak, I lose the lan. If I move the phone receiver, it improves
    things.

    So the phones are certainly interfering with home wlan. Unfortunately I
    need the phones in their present rooms and I am limited as to where I can
    put the router. Being unclear how phone interference works I am not sure how
    best to position things to minimize interference. Is phone interference
    caused by the phone being 'interposed' in the line of reception of the wlan
    or just a radiant effect from the phone over a certain area? Is there a way
    to better shield the phones? Short of buying other phones what are the ways
    to reduce the effects of this interference?

    Thank you.

    Jeff
    Jeff, Jan 15, 2007

  2. "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    >I have a 802.11g home wireless lan that works fine except that I have
    >significant interference from my phones. I have several 2.4 GHz phone
    >around the home. If I unplug the power to some of the phones, the signal
    >power of the lan gets stronger in various areas of the house. If an
    >extension phone rings with an incoming call near where I am working and
    >where the lan reception is weak, I lose the lan. If I move the phone
    >receiver, it improves things.
    >
    > So the phones are certainly interfering with home wlan. Unfortunately I
    > need the phones in their present rooms and I am limited as to where I can
    > put the router. Being unclear how phone interference works I am not sure
    > how best to position things to minimize interference. Is phone
    > interference caused by the phone being 'interposed' in the line of
    > reception of the wlan or just a radiant effect from the phone over a
    > certain area? Is there a way to better shield the phones? Short of buying
    > other phones what are the ways to reduce the effects of this interference?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Jeff

    Some phones can be configured to transmit on a different channel. Check the
    owners manual for help with that. Otherwise moving the base station to
    another location may or may not help. Moving the wireless network router
    away from the base station may also help. Its also possible, but not
    probable IMO, that changing the channel on the wireless router may fix the
    issue.

    The best solution is to either upgrade to a 5.8 Ghz phone system or go back
    to a 900 Mhz phone system.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 15, 2007

  3. Jeff

    RJK Guest

    When my old Philips "Onis" Dect phone base, is near my Orange Live box I
    feel like I've got sinusitis - i.e. there is some kind of interference that
    resembles accoustic feedback !
    http://help.cnet.com/Networking_and...D=2505403&kw=Networking and Wi-Fi&nodeId=3243
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070108/sfm064.html?.v=77

    Keeping the various transmitters as far apart as possible seems to help - at
    least three feet, preferably more.
    A solution seems to be, change phones to ones that use the 1.9ghz band,
    rather than the 2.4ghz that 802.11g uses.
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7585_102-0.html?forumID=19&messageID=2285118&threadID=213787
    It appears that even when 5.8ghz phones are used near 802.11g equipment,
    there can be problems. Again, the answer seems to be - keep the various
    transmitters as far apart as possible.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 15, 2007
  4. Jeff