internetcalls incomming number

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ¬Stephen Hammond, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

    Stephen
    ¬Stephen Hammond, Mar 17, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    >
    >Stephen
    >

    I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    still get the unobtainable tone .
    , Mar 17, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    > <> wrote:
    >>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

    >
    > I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    > have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    > still get the unobtainable tone .


    Have you tried calling via BT?
    Paul Cupis, Mar 17, 2006
    #3
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:09:12 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?

    >>
    >> I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    >> have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    >> still get the unobtainable tone .

    >
    >Have you tried calling via BT?

    Don't have BT Paul wouldn't give em house room anymore and that goes
    for the Telewest phone service also .
    , Mar 17, 2006
    #4
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:09:12 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    >>>
    >>>I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    >>>have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    >>>still get the unobtainable tone .

    >>
    >>Have you tried calling via BT?

    >
    > Don't have BT Paul wouldn't give em house room anymore and that goes
    > for the Telewest phone service also .


    So you haven't tried it "every which way around" then.
    Paul Cupis, Mar 17, 2006
    #5
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    GwG Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    >>
    >>Stephen
    >>

    > I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    > have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    > still get the unobtainable tone .


    0560 numbers are not accepted by most NTL exchanges, and NTL refuse to
    enable these exchanges, therefore making 0560 numbers virtually
    worthless, because most people on NTL will not be able to ring you.
    GwG, Mar 17, 2006
    #6
  7. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:30:04 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:09:12 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> wrote:
    >>>>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    >>>><> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    >>>>
    >>>>I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    >>>>have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    >>>>still get the unobtainable tone .
    >>>
    >>>Have you tried calling via BT?

    >>
    >> Don't have BT Paul wouldn't give em house room anymore and that goes
    >> for the Telewest phone service also .

    >
    >So you haven't tried it "every which way around" then.

    Apart from the two ways mentioned I have tried it every which way
    round even via my mobile. BT and Telewest are for the most part
    blanked out of my mind and words which I find most objectionable
    just like the numbers 0870, those three belong in the same box in my
    book .
    Thank God for www.saynoto0870.com and VOIP .
    , Mar 17, 2006
    #7
  8. GwG wrote:

    >therefore making 0560 numbers virtually
    > worthless, because most people on NTL will not be able to ring you.


    Oh I don't know - that might be an advantage.
    Colin Forrester, Mar 17, 2006
    #8
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:03:49 GMT, "GwG"
    <> wrote:

    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    >>>
    >>>Stephen
    >>>

    >> I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    >> have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    >> still get the unobtainable tone .

    >
    >0560 numbers are not accepted by most NTL exchanges, and NTL refuse to
    >enable these exchanges, therefore making 0560 numbers virtually
    >worthless, because most people on NTL will not be able to ring you.
    >

    If you are dialling via an ATA then just include the following in your
    dial plan.
    <056:004456>xx.<:mad:sipbroker.com>
    You don't need to do anything more than that. I don't suppose that all
    056 numbers will work but my voipfone one does. If there are any
    others that you want to call you can register them. Visit
    sipbroker.com for details.
    Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
    stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
    056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
    should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
    is considered the same as geographic.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 17, 2006
    #9
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:03:31 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:


    > Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
    >stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
    >056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
    >should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
    >is considered the same as geographic.

    Ok then Brian if someone was to call me using my voipcheap number
    which is +445601562XXX what would they have to dial using their
    expensive BT line or even more expensive telewest line taking into
    consideration the extortionate 6p pr call surcharge .
    , Mar 17, 2006
    #10
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    DMac Guest


    >>What's the number like is it a 056 number ?


    why would anyone want an 056 number?
    DMac, Mar 17, 2006
    #11
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    >>Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
    >>stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
    >>056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
    >>should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
    >>is considered the same as geographic.

    >
    > Ok then Brian if someone was to call me using my voipcheap number
    > which is +445601562XXX what would they have to dial


    05601562xxx - what do you think they'd have to dial?
    Paul Cupis, Mar 17, 2006
    #12
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:51:47 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>>Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
    >>>stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
    >>>056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
    >>>should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
    >>>is considered the same as geographic.

    >>
    >> Ok then Brian if someone was to call me using my voipcheap number
    >> which is +445601562XXX what would they have to dial

    >
    >05601562xxx - what do you think they'd have to dial?

    How long has your name been Brian ? get back to sticking up for all
    the 0870 rip off merchants Paul .
    , Mar 18, 2006
    #13
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    [OT] Re: internetcalls incomming number

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:51:47 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>>Ok then Brian if someone was to call me using my voipcheap number
    >>>which is +445601562XXX what would they have to dial

    >>
    >>05601562xxx - what do you think they'd have to dial?

    >
    > How long has your name been Brian ?


    If you want a private conversation with Brian, have one.
    Paul Cupis, Mar 18, 2006
    #14
  15. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:34:05 GMT, wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:03:31 GMT, Brian A
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Of course, if you want people from cable to call you then you are
    >>stuck - unless, of course, they call via 18866 etc. - the charge to
    >>056 numbers, afaik, is tha same as for standard geographics. There
    >>should be no trouble calling from BT - again, for the most part, 056
    >>is considered the same as geographic.

    >Ok then Brian if someone was to call me using my voipcheap number
    >which is +445601562XXX what would they have to dial using their
    >expensive BT line or even more expensive telewest line taking into
    >consideration the extortionate 6p pr call surcharge .

    1. Afaik you can't dial 056 numbers from NTL cable - not sure about TW
    - all same company now anyway. That is why I said "you are stuck".
    2. You can dial 056 numbers via the 18866 group on cable (and, of
    course, BT) and the cost is the same as geo - or so the last
    announcement I heard stated - i.e. the connection charge then 0p/min
    3. It was posted, I think on the uk.telecom group, that the cost of
    dialling 056 numbers, from BT, was the same as geographic and that
    they were included in the packages in a similar, though not exactly
    the same way, as geos. You'd have to google back to find the exact
    detail - or check out with the uk.telecom group.

    Until NTL included 056 numbers, and treat them the same as geos, which
    they should, 056 number use is rather limited. Ofcom should give NTL a
    kick over this. They don't seem to act over simple everyday things
    that consumers need sorting out. They seem to me to be typical
    administrators - good at procrastinating over wordy documents and
    equally so on getting things done.


    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 18, 2006
    #15
  16. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > 3. It was posted, I think on the uk.telecom group, that the cost of
    > dialling 056 numbers, from BT, was the same as geographic and that
    > they were included in the packages in a similar, though not exactly
    > the same way, as geos. You'd have to google back to find the exact
    > detail - or check out with the uk.telecom group.


    BT Together discounts for geographic calls "includes calls to any number
    range charged at g21 rates and shown as 11 under Categorisation for
    Customer Options in Section 2 Part 10"

    http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Cust_Opts_Res.boo/31853.htm
    http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/00251.htm

    According to Customer Options 2/10, g21 includes a bunch of 055 ranges
    and all of 056.
    Paul Cupis, Mar 18, 2006
    #16
  17. ¬Stephen Hammond

    andy Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    > >
    > >Stephen
    > >

    > I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    > have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    > still get the unobtainable tone .


    It seems like everyone has summarised this pretty well by now. NTL
    don't cover these numbers directly, but almost everyone else does, at
    similar cost to ordinary landlines not to 0870s (though BT may be
    slightly higher than ordinary numbers, 5p/min).

    I don't think anybody has answered the original question - what type of
    numbers do internetcalls issue? And perhaps we could add their sister
    companies to the question.

    I believe I've read that some people get geographic numbers and some do
    not, but I can't remember where I saw this, and there wasn't any detail
    of differences. Perhaps for example they have a restricted number of
    area codes and only issue to people in the areas in question.

    Does anybody actually know this, and can answer it clearly, without
    further irrelevant tirades against the numbers, NTL, Ofcom, etc? Thank
    you
    andy, Mar 18, 2006
    #17
  18. ¬Stephen Hammond

    GwG Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    ..
    >
    > Until NTL included 056 numbers, and treat them the same as geos, which
    > they should, 056 number use is rather limited. Ofcom should give NTL a
    > kick over this. They don't seem to act over simple everyday things
    > that consumers need sorting out. They seem to me to be typical
    > administrators - good at procrastinating over wordy documents and
    > equally so on getting things done.
    >


    NTL told me a few months ago that they had no intention of enabling more
    exchanges to accept 0560 numbers. I passed this information on to Ofcom,
    who were very concerned with the situation, and they did investigate it,
    but found that they had no powers to force NTL to enable 0560 numbers.
    GwG, Mar 18, 2006
    #18
  19. GwG wrote:

    > NTL told me a few months ago that they had no intention of enabling more
    > exchanges to accept 0560 numbers. I passed this information on to Ofcom,
    > who were very concerned with the situation, and they did investigate it,
    > but found that they had no powers to force NTL to enable 0560 numbers.


    But is the same Ofcom which can compel telcos to deliver calls using the
    new 101 number. What a strange World we live in.
    Colin Forrester, Mar 18, 2006
    #19
  20. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Chris Heaton Guest

    I have three internet lines, one with Skype, one with VOIP Cheap and the
    other with Vonage.

    I am not sure why everyone is talking about "056" numbers because with each
    of these services I could select a number in any city I wanted. All my
    numbers are normal 0121 (Birmingham UK) numbers but I could have just as
    easily selected numbers in London or Manchester etc. I could even select a
    number abroad if I wanted!

    To find out why not install VOIP Cheap, both the calls and landline numbers
    are Free!

    Chris
    "andy" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:22 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >What's the number like is it a 056 number ?
    > >
    > >Stephen
    > >

    > I would like to know how one dials these numbers from within the uk, I
    > have tried dialing my voipcheap 056 number every which way around but
    > still get the unobtainable tone .


    It seems like everyone has summarised this pretty well by now. NTL
    don't cover these numbers directly, but almost everyone else does, at
    similar cost to ordinary landlines not to 0870s (though BT may be
    slightly higher than ordinary numbers, 5p/min).

    I don't think anybody has answered the original question - what type of
    numbers do internetcalls issue? And perhaps we could add their sister
    companies to the question.

    I believe I've read that some people get geographic numbers and some do
    not, but I can't remember where I saw this, and there wasn't any detail
    of differences. Perhaps for example they have a restricted number of
    area codes and only issue to people in the areas in question.

    Does anybody actually know this, and can answer it clearly, without
    further irrelevant tirades against the numbers, NTL, Ofcom, etc? Thank
    you
    Chris Heaton, Mar 19, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Frisbee®
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    1,065
  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    So Can I have a normal incomming number 01**

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 2, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    744
    Scope
    Nov 4, 2005
  3. Ron Wellsted

    SIPDiscount incomming number

    Ron Wellsted, Jan 22, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    510
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    469
    Brian A
    Feb 12, 2006
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    internetcalls incomming number

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Aug 3, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    980
    Carl Farrington
    Aug 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page