    harry176 Guest

    Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    and Outlook 97 on the Internet
    harry176, Apr 30, 2007

  2. harry176

    Sandy Nuts Guest

    What the **** for?
    Sandy Nuts, Apr 30, 2007

  3. harry176 wrote:
    > Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    > and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    Have you gotten an account yet with an ISP? They frequently supply a
    disk that does most of the leg work. Is it dialup over the phone or
    broadband?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 30, 2007
  4. harry176 wrote:

    > Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    > and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    Since you didn't mention if this computer is at the same location as the
    Windows 2000 computer you posted with, may I hazard a guess that it is
    the same location? Using the same ISP services? Using dialup? Cable/dsl?

    Details... details...

    Set the ancient box up the same as the Win2000 box.

    (Does Outlook 97 even *run* on a Win95 PC?)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2007
  5. harry176

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 30 Apr 2007 06:42:32 -0700, harry176 <>
    wrote:

    >Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    >and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    Contact your ISP.
    Evan Platt, Apr 30, 2007
  6. harry176

    harry176 Guest

    On 30 Apr, 14:54, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > harry176 wrote:
    > > Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    > > and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    > Since you didn't mention if this computer is at the same location as the
    > Windows 2000 computer you posted with, may I hazard a guess that it is
    > the same location? Using the same ISP services? Using dialup? Cable/dsl?
    >
    > Details... details...
    >
    > Set the ancient box up the same as the Win2000 box.
    >
    > (Does Outlook 97 even *run* on a Win95 PC?)
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    Thanks for the reply. This computer is at the public library the one
    home is the old one.
    I have tried Tesco pay has go dailup with no luck ,they require
    Outlook express .I have downloaded internet explorer5 but can not get
    it to open will O/E be in this
    Harry
    PS Runing out time here .
    harry176, Apr 30, 2007
  7. harry176 wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> harry176 wrote:
    >>> Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer
    >>> 3 and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    >> Since you didn't mention if this computer is at the same location as
    >> the Windows 2000 computer you posted with, may I hazard a guess that
    >> it is the same location? Using the same ISP services? Using dialup?
    >> Cable/dsl?
    >>
    >> Details... details...
    >>
    >> Set the ancient box up the same as the Win2000 box.
    >>
    >> (Does Outlook 97 even *run* on a Win95 PC?)

    > Thanks for the reply. This computer is at the public library the one
    > home is the old one.

    Ah, a detail you overlooked in your first post. The more details you
    give, the less time any helper needs to spend asking you questions.

    > I have tried Tesco pay has go dailup with no luck ,

    That sentence is hard to parse and find a worthy translation.

    > they require Outlook express .I have downloaded internet explorer5 but
    > can not get it to open will O/E be in this

    AFAIR, Win95 can run Internet Exploder 4, but not 5.

    O/E ? Outlook Express and not Outlook 97? Yes, OE is a part of IE.

    > Harry
    > PS Runing out time here .

    ...at the library? <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2007
  8. harry176 wrote:
    > On 30 Apr, 14:54, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>harry176 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    >>>and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    >>Since you didn't mention if this computer is at the same location as the
    >>Windows 2000 computer you posted with, may I hazard a guess that it is
    >>the same location? Using the same ISP services? Using dialup? Cable/dsl?
    >>
    >>Details... details...
    >>
    >>Set the ancient box up the same as the Win2000 box.
    >>
    >>(Does Outlook 97 even *run* on a Win95 PC?)
    >>
    >>--
    >> -bts
    >> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck

    > Thanks for the reply. This computer is at the public library the one
    > home is the old one.
    > I have tried Tesco pay has go dailup with no luck ,they require
    > Outlook express .I have downloaded internet explorer5 but can not get
    > it to open will O/E be in this
    > Harry
    > PS Runing out time here .

    Yes, Outlook Express comes with Windows95 and can be updated. But Tesco
    would be the place to call for help getting connected to their internet
    service.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 30, 2007
  9. harry176

    Mike Easter Guest

    harry176 wrote:
    > Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    > and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    I have run Win98se-lite on a computer which was originally Win 3.1, so
    I'm sure that whatever hardware came with W95 would run 98 w/ w95
    explorer -- but if you don't have a copy of W98se then using W95b is
    most practical. Or else using a lightweight linux distro, which would
    cause you to have to learn some commandline and textfile configuration
    skills.

    The W95 will run IE6 but I don't think that is the best choice because
    IE6 has greater hardward requirements than some other choices, and also
    IE6 is primitive compared to newer and more modernized browsers.

    Either Opera or Firefox would use less resources for the browser and
    using Tbird as the email/news client would be more easily configured
    than using Opera's email/news.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 30, 2007
  10. harry176

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > harry176 wrote:
    >> Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer
    >> 3 and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    > I have run Win98se-lite

    > The W95 will run IE6 but I don't think that is the best choice

    > Either Opera or Firefox would use less resources for the browser and
    > using Tbird as the email/news client would be more easily configured
    > than using Opera's email/news.

    here are MS's support dl/s for W95
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

    here are the posted system requirements for FF2 and Tbird2
    Windows
    Minimum System Requirements
    233 Mhz processor
    64 MB of RAM
    50 MB of free disk space
    Microsoft Windows 98

    but I suspect FF & Tbird will run on W95; I know that Opera will,
    because Opera sez so...

    // Minimum configuration for Opera 9:

    20 MB of free disk space
    Any system running Windows 95 (or higher)
    These requirements only apply to Opera. Third-party plug-ins such as
    Flash, Java and others may have higher requirements.

    Recommended configuration for Opera 9:

    Pentium II class system with 64 MB of RAM and at least 50 MB of free
    disk space
    Windows 98 or higher
    While Opera 9 should run on any 32-bit version of Windows, the
    performance on computers below Pentium II class may not make it
    particularly usable. Legacy versions of Opera, such as Opera 6 and
    below, are better suited for such systems.

    Legacy versions of Opera for Windows are available from the Opera
    archive at arc.opera.com.

    Installing Opera 9 on Windows 95, 98 or NT 4.0 requires the Windows
    Installer to be installed on your system. Alternatively you can select
    the classic installer when downloading Opera, but this will require you
    to manually download language files for languages other than US English.
    //

    So, the most modern least hardware demanding legacy version would
    apparently be Opera 6.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 30, 2007
  11. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Either Opera or Firefox would use less resources for the browser and
    > using Tbird as the email/news client would be more easily configured
    > than using Opera's email/news.

    It would be prudent to check the following page before attempting to
    install Firefox or Thunderbird on that old Win95 PC. There are some
    caveats regarding versions of Windows files.

    http://community.wvu.edu/~ast002/mozilla/qa.html#win95

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2007
  12. harry176

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Either Opera or Firefox would use less resources for the browser and
    >> using Tbird as the email/news client would be more easily configured
    >> than using Opera's email/news.

    > It would be prudent to check the following page before attempting to
    > install Firefox or Thunderbird on that old Win95 PC. There are some
    > caveats regarding versions of Windows files.
    >
    > http://community.wvu.edu/~ast002/mozilla/qa.html#win95

    Ah, good. I was looking for something like that at Mozilla, but
    couldn't find it. I had a feeling 1.5 might be a better version choice
    for FF & Tbird than the 2/s.

    I did find access to those versions, but not from the Mozilla front
    pages.

    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5.0.11/win32/en-US/
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/1.5.0.10/win32/en-US/

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 30, 2007
  13. harry176

    thanatoid Guest

    harry176 <> wrote in

    > Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet
    > Explorer 3 and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    Forget IE/OE and Outlook. For hundreds of reasons you can look
    up on Google groups.

    Use:

    Web:
    www.offbyone.com
    www.opera.com (I use ver 7, I would not suggest later versions
    due to sys req's. Earlier varesions should be fine.)

    Mail:
    http://www.npopsupport.org.uk

    Usenet:
    http://Xnews.newsguy.com

    I have been using them with Win95B for years.

    thanatoid, Apr 30, 2007
  14. harry176

    Ben Myers Guest

    "harry176" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Help wanted to get a computer with win95.4.00.950B Internet Explorer 3
    > and Outlook 97 on the Internet

    Start the computer, click "Start", "Programs", "Accessories", "Internet Tools",
    "Get on the Internet". You will need the area code and local phone number
    for dialup service from your ISP.

    Ben
    Ben Myers, May 1, 2007