Internet TV

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Jun 7, 2009.

  1. http://www.internettvaccess.com/

    I'm sure there are many Internet TV applications/services, and I found this
    one after searching far and wide for about 15 seconds, maybe 30 seconds.

    I have a BBQ island and have been struggling with how I might get television
    out to the patio. I've already got plenty of power, but no cable. It
    occurred to me that I could solve the problem through my wireless network
    and my kid's laptop. I did a Google search on FREE INTERNET TV, and stumbled
    onto the link above.

    I've not experienced internet TV before. I don't know anybody that has used
    it, so I thought somecody here may have an experience to share.

    What sort of resources are required on the laptop? Since it is basically
    streaming from the wire to the TV, and would not be doing anything else at
    the time, it ought not need huge amounts of memory or a blazing CPU, or a
    huge HDD for that matter. I've got computers with those attributes, so I can
    set up one of them with DVR services and that sort of thing.

    I'd like to bring sports programming out to my patio, while using the BBQ
    for family gatherings and that sort of stuff.

    Before I sign up for an Internet TV package, have any of you guys done this,
    and do you like it?

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 7, 2009

  2. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.internettvaccess.com/
    >

    > I'm sure there are many Internet TV applications/services, and I found
    > this one after searching far and wide for about 15 seconds, maybe 30
    > seconds.
    >
    > I have a BBQ island and have been struggling with how I might get
    > television out to the patio. I've already got plenty of power, but no
    > cable. It occurred to me that I could solve the problem through my
    > wireless network and my kid's laptop. I did a Google search on FREE
    > INTERNET TV, and stumbled onto the link above.
    >
    > I've not experienced internet TV before. I don't know anybody that has
    > used it, so I thought somecody here may have an experience to share.
    >
    > What sort of resources are required on the laptop? Since it is basically
    > streaming from the wire to the TV, and would not be doing anything else at
    > the time, it ought not need huge amounts of memory or a blazing CPU, or a
    > huge HDD for that matter. I've got computers with those attributes, so I
    > can set up one of them with DVR services and that sort of thing.
    >
    > I'd like to bring sports programming out to my patio, while using the BBQ
    > for family gatherings and that sort of stuff.
    >
    > Before I sign up for an Internet TV package, have any of you guys done
    > this, and do you like it?

    My experiences with so-called Free Internet TV was a list of channels you
    could select, and when you selected one, it streamed video that was usually
    a short film playing on endless loop. However, I did not try all stations,
    so you might choose to experiment. I would recommend you try it out before
    going through all the trouble of trying to bring it out to the patio.

    Woof

    James D. Andrews, Jun 9, 2009