    Peter M Guest

    Any good programs to monitor RX/TX Traffic

    Thanks

    Peter M, Jan 9, 2009

  2. Peter  M

    Lodi Guest

    >On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:21:16 +1300, Peter M wrote:

    > Any good programs to monitor RX/TX Traffic
    >

    > Thanks

    If linux based.....

    sudo apt-get install vnstat

    then

    ifconfig

    note active eth e.g eth0, eth1 etc

    then

    vnstat -u -i eth0 (assuming eth0 active) (most likely need to be root)

    then for hourly transfer amount (all on one line)

    xterm -bg white -fg black -font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*-
    iso8859-* -T "vnstat hourly" -hold -e vnstat -h

    or daily transfer amount (all on one line)

    xterm -bg white -fg black -font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-
    iso8859-* -T "vnstat daily" -hold -e vnstat

    Can do weekly and monthly as well.

    Adjust above commands to adjust font size (i.e change 18 or 32)

    man vnstat for more info

    or

    http://humdi.net/vnstat/

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Peter  M

    Ron McNulty Guest

    > xterm -bg white -fg black -font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*- iso8859-* -T "vnstat hourly" -hold -e vnstat -h

    I love the elegant simplicity of linux commands....

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Jan 9, 2009
  4. Peter  M

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:21:16 +1300, Peter M wrote:

    > Any good programs to monitor RX/TX Traffic

    Don't know if this will do what you want. I haven't used it either, I just
    spotted it in another NG, today.

    <http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/kiwi_syslog_server/>

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Jan 9, 2009
  5. Peter  M

    EMB Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:21:16 +1300, Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> Any good programs to monitor RX/TX Traffic

    > Don't know if this will do what you want. I haven't used it either, I just
    > spotted it in another NG, today.
    >
    > <http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/kiwi_syslog_server/>

    Do not under any circumstances use a real email address to sign up to
    Solarwinds - they will spam you silly with upgrade offers, trial ofers
    and general bullshit for evermore.

    Their software however is really good, as are the Kiwi Enterprises apps
    that they have just bought (a pity really as the price will now go
    through the roof).

    EMB, Jan 9, 2009
  6. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:
    >> xterm -bg white -fg black -font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*- iso8859-* -T "vnstat hourly" -hold -e vnstat -h

    > I love the elegant simplicity of linux commands....
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron

    Easier to cut and paste than a list of tabs to find and buttons to click.

    oneofus, Jan 9, 2009
  7. Peter  M

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:19:10 +1300, EMB wrote:

    >> <http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/kiwi_syslog_server/>
    >>

    > Do not under any circumstances use a real email address to sign up to
    > Solarwinds - they will spam you silly with upgrade offers, trial ofers and
    > general bullshit for evermore.

    Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't as yet downloaded this or registered
    with solarwinds. It's good to know if a company likes to spam you, well in
    advance :)

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Jan 9, 2009
  8. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 18:31:45 +1100, Mike Dee <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:19:10 +1300, EMB wrote:
    >
    >>> <http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/kiwi_syslog_server/>
    >>>

    >> Do not under any circumstances use a real email address to sign up to
    >> Solarwinds - they will spam you silly with upgrade offers, trial ofers and
    >> general bullshit for evermore.

    >Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't as yet downloaded this or registered
    >with solarwinds. It's good to know if a company likes to spam you, well in
    >advance :)

    Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will monitor
    all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.

    Running on XP..

    Peter M, Jan 9, 2009
  9. Peter  M

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:54:10 +1300, Peter M wrote:

    > Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will
    > monitor all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.
    >
    > Running on XP..

    I know there's a Firefox extension that will do this.
    <http://netusage.iau5.com/>

    Here's a link to some others (including FF extensions) that look fairly
    user friendly:
    <http://www.zepy.net/archives/how-to-save-internet-bandwidth-usage-with-free-software-firefox-extension.html>

    HTH

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Jan 9, 2009
  10. Peter M wrote:

    > ... all I want is a dead simple program that will monitor all my Lan usage
    > traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.

    You have a cap on dialup??

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009
  11. Peter  M

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Jan 9, 2009
  12. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:05:07 +1100, Mike Dee <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:54:10 +1300, Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will
    >> monitor all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.
    >>
    >> Running on XP..

    >I know there's a Firefox extension that will do this.
    ><http://netusage.iau5.com/>
    >
    >Here's a link to some others (including FF extensions) that look fairly
    >user friendly:
    ><http://www.zepy.net/archives/how-to-save-internet-bandwidth-usage-with-free-software-firefox-extension.html>
    >
    >HTH

    Yes but I use a FTP client and IE8, so will this help..?

    Peter M, Jan 9, 2009
  13. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:05:07 +1100, Mike Dee <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:54:10 +1300, Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will
    >> monitor all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.
    >>
    >> Running on XP..

    >I know there's a Firefox extension that will do this.
    ><http://netusage.iau5.com/>
    >
    >Here's a link to some others (including FF extensions) that look fairly
    >user friendly:
    ><http://www.zepy.net/archives/how-to-save-internet-bandwidth-usage-with-free-software-firefox-extension.html>
    >
    >HTH

    Yes but I use a FTP client, Agent news reader and IE8, so will this help..?

    Peter M, Jan 9, 2009
  14. Peter  M

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 23:42:24 +1300, Peter M wrote:

    > Yes but I use a FTP client and IE8, so will this help..?

    Probably not, Mozilla apps are better catered for, as far as what you are
    wanting here.

    Perhaps these are more suited...

    Bandwidth Daemon:

    Bandwidth Daemon is an advanced network bandwidth monitor for Windows
    2000/XP. Rather than counting the bandwidth from all packets, Bandwidth
    Daemon passes each packet through filters to determine if it should be
    counted. You may define your own filters, to monitor different types of
    traffic... US $25

    <http://www.grofsoft.com/bwd.php>

    Or:

    No Frills Timer:

    No Frills Timer keeps track of the amount of time you spend connected to
    the Internet. It is designed to be small, fast, and reasonably easy to
    use. NFT is free software, released under the terms of the GPL license.
    The full source code is included with this distribution...

    <http://www.grofsoft.com/nft.php>

    The latter look promising, no? The price is right, but the Bandwidth
    Daemon might cover more bases.

    Good luck.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Jan 9, 2009
  15. Peter  M

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >>
    >> Any good programs to monitor RX/TX Traffic

    > http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

    Yep, I use DUMeter, I have it on my screen (on top, 40% visible) at all
    times, showing the last 13 minutes of up/down in real time.

    Having a 1400 x 1050 panel is good. On my last panel, a 1280 x 1024, I could
    only fit 10 minutes in the same area of screen. :)

    Just checked your link, I see it's up to ver 4.01. I still use 3.05.
    Unfortunately I don't think you get free upgrades when you buy, (not that
    I'm unhappy with the version I have).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 9, 2009
  16. Peter  M

    Guest

    On Jan 9, 8:48 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    >
    > > Peter M wrote:

    > >> Any good programs tomonitorRX/TX Traffic

    > >http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

    > Yep, I use DUMeter, I have it on my screen (on top, 40% visible) at all
    > times, showing the last 13 minutes of up/down in real time.
    >
    > Having a 1400 x 1050 panel is good. On my last panel, a 1280 x 1024, I could
    > only fit 10 minutes in the same area of screen. :)
    >
    > Just checked your link, I see it's up to ver 4.01. I still use 3.05.
    > Unfortunately I don't think you get free upgrades when you buy, (not that
    > I'm unhappy with the version I have).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Hi,
    I recommend sax2,its real-time display and statistical traffic
    analysis of whole network, you may find network resource abuse, worms,
    denial of service attacks, to lead the network work well. visit
    http://www.Ids-sax2.com and download sax2 to help you.

    , Jan 9, 2009
  17. Peter  M

    Sam Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > Thanks for the Help but all I want is a dead simple program that will monitor
    > all my Lan usage traffic, so I don't exceed my Cap.

    Netmeter - freeware
    http://tinyurl.com/2qd5rv

    Doesn't your ISP give you a usage on your account page?

    Sam, Jan 9, 2009
  18. In message <>, Peter M wrote:

    > Yes but I use a FTP client, Agent news reader and IE8, so will this
    > help..?

    You realize that Firefox does FTP downloads as well? News you could access
    through Google Groups I suppose. And as for IE8 ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009
  19. Peter  M

    Lodi Guest

    >On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 23:03:39 -0800, Ron McNulty wrote:

    >> xterm -bg white -fg black -font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*-
    >> iso8859-* -T "vnstat hourly" -hold -e vnstat -h

    > I love the elegant simplicity of linux commands....
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron

    You can't get more simple than typing "vnstat" which will display the TX/
    RX info. If you want to get tricky just type "vnstat -h" to get hourly
    rates only, -d for daily, -w for weekly, -m for monthly etc (no quotes)

    But because I enjoy tinkering under the bonnet I played around for half
    an hour and ended up with the big long command you quoted. The exact info
    I want perfectly customised for me and my eyesight. If you want to use it
    just copy and paste and it will do the job perfectly. You have my word :)

    Copy and paste into separate launchers, then modify for hourly, daily,
    weekly etc. Iconize the launchers or give them their own pop-up taskbar.
    Basically just play around. Way more fun than point and click and take
    what you're given.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jan 9, 2009
  20. In message <gk6trs$atd$>, oneofus wrote:

    > Ron McNulty wrote:
    >>
    >>> xterm -bg white -fg black -font -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*-
    >>> iso8859-* -T "vnstat hourly" -hold -e vnstat -h

    >> I love the elegant simplicity of linux commands....

    > Easier to cut and paste than a list of tabs to find and buttons to click.

    Or long-winded instructions to click here, find this window, go to this tab,
    check this box, tote that bale, with a lot of elaborate screenshots just to
    make things clearer. All of which becomes instantly obsolete when the next
    version comes out with a brand-spanking-new "ribbonized" interface or
    whatever the fad is this year.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009