    Turns out that using a local time server, ntp.cs.mu.OZ.AU works fine.

    Nothing much useful turns up with groups.google or google, tho
    I didnt carefully read every hit. That time server turned up there.

    Rod Speed, May 23, 2005

  2. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yes, I know it's a simple, pathetic, question. Come and visit me at
    Penrith Leagues.....Panthers, the place to be!

    Rod Speed, May 23, 2005

  3. Rod Speed

    Colin Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Basically been using the standard XP time synch with the
    > synch rate increased dramatically, couple of times a day.
    >
    > Thats been working fine for a year or two and has just started
    > to fail with the error message "peer's stratum is less than the
    > host's stratum" or more strictly I just noticed that the PC time
    > is well out, few minutes, and checked and saw the error message.

    No error messages but the two time apps I have can't get the NIST servers
    now - OK last week. One is their own app. on the Colorado servers.

    Changed to the one you gave and all is well.

    Colin, May 23, 2005
  4. Rod Speed

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Basically been using the standard XP time synch with the
    > synch rate increased dramatically, couple of times a day.
    >
    > Thats been working fine for a year or two and has just started
    > to fail with the error message "peer's stratum is less than the
    > host's stratum" or more strictly I just noticed that the PC time
    > is well out, few minutes, and checked and saw the error message.
    >
    > Same result on multiple PC thru the adsl router.
    >
    > None of the other US time servers I tried worked, tho they
    > just say error, not that particularly cryptic error message.
    >
    > Turns out that using a local time server, ntp.cs.mu.OZ.AU works fine.
    >
    > Nothing much useful turns up with groups.google or google, tho
    > I didnt carefully read every hit. That time server turned up there.

    Ditto here Rod, I hadn't noticed until your post.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 23, 2005
  5. "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, I know it's a simple, pathetic, question. Come and visit me at
    > Penrith Leagues.....Panthers, the place to be!

    The Panthers Club has to be about one of the best clubs in NSW.
    Was a member in the 1960s when it was just a big tin shed.
    It has always been a great place for families and having retired to WA, I do
    miss the place and always make a beeline for it when visiting the east
    coast.

    Ivor Longwonne, May 23, 2005
  6. Rod Speed

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Start

    Run

    MS-ITS:C:\WINDOWS\Help\datetime.chm::/windows_date_IT_overview.htm

    That will show you the Help and Support Center (WinXP's inbuilt help system)
    page dealing with time synchronisation. Basically, it sounds like either you
    need to use another time server because the one you're attempting to synch
    with is unavailable or busy (unlikely with time.windows.com) or that your
    firewall is blocking NTP (Network Time Protocol) requests. If it's the
    latter then you'll to post details of which firewall / version you're using
    so people can give you an idea of how to re-configure it to allow NTP
    requests.

    pcbutts1, May 23, 2005
  7. Rod Speed

    Unknown Guest

    "Ivor Longwonne" <> wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, I know it's a simple, pathetic, question. Come and visit me at
    >> Penrith Leagues.....Panthers, the place to be!
    >>

    > The Panthers Club has to be about one of the best clubs in NSW.
    > Was a member in the 1960s when it was just a big tin shed.
    > It has always been a great place for families and having retired to WA, I
    > do miss the place and always make a beeline for it when visiting the east
    > coast.

    Why the hell would you come back? I like not being near the bloody suburbs
    of Sydney. A decidedly disgusting place to live.

    Unknown, May 24, 2005
  8. Rod Speed

    Unknown Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Basically been using the standard XP time synch with the
    > synch rate increased dramatically, couple of times a day.
    >
    > Thats been working fine for a year or two and has just started
    > to fail with the error message "peer's stratum is less than the
    > host's stratum" or more strictly I just noticed that the PC time
    > is well out, few minutes, and checked and saw the error message.
    >
    > Same result on multiple PC thru the adsl router.
    >
    > None of the other US time servers I tried worked, tho they
    > just say error, not that particularly cryptic error message.
    >
    > Turns out that using a local time server, ntp.cs.mu.OZ.AU works fine.
    >
    > Nothing much useful turns up with groups.google or google, tho
    > I didnt carefully read every hit. That time server turned up there.

    Shit eh! I had been thinking it was a networking issue. Didn't bother me
    much as I use Tardis anyway and set all machines (98SE and XP) with the
    Tardis companion K9 once Tardis has it's answer. Thought maybe there was
    something I had stuffed in my network but really wasn't about to go find it.

    You might download Tardis and try it, too. Works damned well.

    Unknown, May 24, 2005
  9. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    pcbutts1 <> wrote in message

    > Start

    > Run

    > MS-ITS:C:\WINDOWS\Help\datetime.chm::/windows_date_IT_overview.htm

    > That will show you the Help and Support Center (WinXP's inbuilt help system)
    > page dealing with time synchronisation.

    Yes, but none of what's offered was the problem.

    > Basically, it sounds like either you need to use another time server

    Didnt work with any I tried in north america, so it can be that.

    > because the one you're attempting to synch with is unavailable or busy
    > (unlikely with time.windows.com)

    And impossible with the list I tried.

    > or that your firewall is blocking NTP (Network Time Protocol) requests.

    Nope, I didnt change anything there, and it came back by itself
    too. Thats something that shows up quite a bit using google,
    that it stops working and comes back in days usually.

    > If it's the latter then you'll to post details of which firewall / version
    > you're using so people can give you an idea of how to re-configure it to allow
    > NTP requests.

    Turned out not to be relevant.

    Looks like it was the ping time that colin suggested.
    Unfortunately I didnt check the ping times when it wasnt working.

    It has started working again now with time.windows.com
    and its certain that the local timezone time server would
    have had a lower ping time when time.windows.com
    and the other US time servers werent working.

    Rod Speed, May 24, 2005
  10. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >> Basically been using the standard XP time synch with the
    >> synch rate increased dramatically, couple of times a day.
    >>
    >> Thats been working fine for a year or two and has just started
    >> to fail with the error message "peer's stratum is less than the
    >> host's stratum" or more strictly I just noticed that the PC time
    >> is well out, few minutes, and checked and saw the error message.
    >>
    >> Same result on multiple PC thru the adsl router.
    >>
    >> None of the other US time servers I tried worked, tho they
    >> just say error, not that particularly cryptic error message.
    >>
    >> Turns out that using a local time server, ntp.cs.mu.OZ.AU works fine.
    >>
    >> Nothing much useful turns up with groups.google or google, tho
    >> I didnt carefully read every hit. That time server turned up there.
    >>

    > Shit eh! I had been thinking it was a networking issue. Didn't bother me
    > much as I use Tardis anyway and set all machines (98SE and XP) with the
    > Tardis companion K9 once Tardis has it's answer. Thought maybe there was
    > something I had stuffed in my network but really wasn't about to go find it.
    >
    > You might download Tardis and try it, too. Works damned well.

    I used to use it before its standard in XP. Basically didnt
    see any point in using an addon when its standard in XP.

    It would make sense to use a local timezone time server in XP.

    Rod Speed, May 24, 2005
  11. Rod Speed

    Unknown Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    > "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>> Basically been using the standard XP time synch with the
    >>> synch rate increased dramatically, couple of times a day.
    >>>
    >>> Thats been working fine for a year or two and has just started
    >>> to fail with the error message "peer's stratum is less than the
    >>> host's stratum" or more strictly I just noticed that the PC time
    >>> is well out, few minutes, and checked and saw the error message.
    >>>
    >>> Same result on multiple PC thru the adsl router.
    >>>
    >>> None of the other US time servers I tried worked, tho they
    >>> just say error, not that particularly cryptic error message.
    >>>
    >>> Turns out that using a local time server, ntp.cs.mu.OZ.AU works fine.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing much useful turns up with groups.google or google, tho
    >>> I didnt carefully read every hit. That time server turned up there.
    >>>

    >> Shit eh! I had been thinking it was a networking issue. Didn't bother me
    >> much as I use Tardis anyway and set all machines (98SE and XP) with the
    >> Tardis companion K9 once Tardis has it's answer. Thought maybe there was
    >> something I had stuffed in my network but really wasn't about to go find
    >> it.
    >>
    >> You might download Tardis and try it, too. Works damned well.

    > I used to use it before its standard in XP. Basically didnt
    > see any point in using an addon when its standard in XP.

    Yeah, cant see a point to using it, either....oh wait, the XP time setting
    isnt working properly is it?

    > It would make sense to use a local timezone time server in XP.

    Something like those provided in standard XP?

    Unknown, May 24, 2005
  12. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> Shit eh! I had been thinking it was a networking issue. Didn't bother me
    >>> much as I use Tardis anyway and set all machines (98SE and XP) with the
    >>> Tardis companion K9 once Tardis has it's answer. Thought maybe there was
    >>> something I had stuffed in my network but really wasn't about to go find it.
    >>>
    >>> You might download Tardis and try it, too. Works damned well.

    >> I used to use it before its standard in XP. Basically didnt
    >> see any point in using an addon when its standard in XP.

    > Yeah, cant see a point to using it, either....
    > oh wait, the XP time setting isnt working properly is it?

    It does with a time server in the local timezone.

    >> It would make sense to use a local timezone time server in XP.

    > Something like those provided in standard XP?

    Gone blind yet ?

    Rod Speed, May 24, 2005
  13. Rod Speed

    Unknown Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    > "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    >>> I used to use it before its standard in XP. Basically didnt
    >>> see any point in using an addon when its standard in XP.

    >> Yeah, cant see a point to using it, either....
    >> oh wait, the XP time setting isnt working properly is it?

    > It does with a time server in the local timezone.

    Didnt last night.

    >>> It would make sense to use a local timezone time server in XP.

    >> Something like those provided in standard XP?

    > Gone blind yet ?

    Why? You videoing your dirty habits with bulldogs again?

    Unknown, May 24, 2005
  14. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, cant see a point to using it, either....
    >>> oh wait, the XP time setting isnt working properly is it?

    >> It does with a time server in the local timezone.

    > Didnt last night.

    Something else must be broken with your XP time synch.

    >>> Something like those provided in standard XP?

    >> Gone blind yet ?

    > Why? You videoing your dirty habits with bulldogs again?

    That was Proctor, stupid. Cant you get even the simplest stuff right ?

    Rod Speed, May 24, 2005
  15. Rod Speed

    Colin Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >> C:\Documents and Settings\boot>ping time.windows.com
    >>
    >> Pinging time.windows.com [207.46.130.100] with 32 bytes of data:
    >>
    >> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=279ms TTL=49
    >> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=319ms TTL=49
    >> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=265ms TTL=49
    >> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=265ms TTL=49
    >>
    >> Ping statistics for 207.46.130.100:
    >> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    >> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    >> Minimum = 265ms, Maximum = 319ms, Average = 282ms

    > Weird, I still cant ping it, pings time out, same IP too.

    Me too - time out with both IP and name

    ( Sure there are enough groups in the cross-post ?)

    Colin, May 25, 2005
  16. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Colin" <> wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\boot>ping time.windows.com
    >>>
    >>> Pinging time.windows.com [207.46.130.100] with 32 bytes of data:
    >>>
    >>> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=279ms TTL=49
    >>> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=319ms TTL=49
    >>> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=265ms TTL=49
    >>> Reply from 207.46.130.100: bytes=32 time=265ms TTL=49
    >>>
    >>> Ping statistics for 207.46.130.100:
    >>> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    >>> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    >>> Minimum = 265ms, Maximum = 319ms, Average = 282ms

    >> Weird, I still cant ping it, pings time out, same IP too.

    > Me too - time out with both IP and name
    >
    > ( Sure there are enough groups in the cross-post ?)

    Pfft, you aint seen nuffin, child |-)

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2005
  17. Rod Speed

    Unknown Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    > "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    >>> It does with a time server in the local timezone.

    >> Didnt last night.

    > Something else must be broken with your XP time synch.

    >>> Gone blind yet ?

    >> Why? You videoing your dirty habits with bulldogs again?

    > That was Proctor, stupid. Cant you get even the simplest stuff right ?

    Proctor even KNOW what a bulldog is?

    Unknown, May 25, 2005
  18. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> Didnt last night.

    >> Something else must be broken with your XP time synch.

    >>> Why? You videoing your dirty habits with bulldogs again?

    >> That was Proctor, stupid. Cant you get even the simplest stuff right ?
    >>

    > Proctor even KNOW what a bulldog is?

    Who cares ?

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2005
  19. Rod Speed

    Unknown Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    > "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    >>> Something else must be broken with your XP time synch.

    >>> That was Proctor, stupid. Cant you get even the simplest stuff right ?
    >>>

    >> Proctor even KNOW what a bulldog is?

    > Who cares ?

    The Tom Baker one or the other guy on Saturday nights? :)

    Unknown, May 25, 2005