    115.2kbps. What would be the reason for the change?
    --
    christine willis
    cw, Apr 4, 2004

  2. cw

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:41:08 +1200, "cw" <>
    scribbled:

    >Hi, I have dial up 56k. Recently my internet has been showing speed of
    >115.2kbps. What would be the reason for the change?

    You're seeing the DCE speed and not the modem's speed.
    Beat's me what you changed I haven't had a modem in years.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Apr 4, 2004

  3. cw

    °Mike° Guest

    That is just the speed that the modem is communicating
    with your computer at, NOT your download speed.

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:41:08 +1200, in
    <gh%bc.6810$u%>
    cw scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2004
  5. cw

    Dino Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > cw wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I have dial up 56k. Recently my internet has been showing speed of

    > How'd you get your own internet? I've always had to share an internet with
    > everybody else. You must be or know someone important.

    You need to install the .inf driver for your modem
    Dino, Apr 5, 2004
  6. cw

    cw Guest

    You need to install the .inf driver for your modem

    Thanks but how do I do that please.?

    cw, Apr 5, 2004
  7. Dino wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> cw wrote:

    >>>Hi, I have dial up 56k. Recently my internet has been showing speed of

    >> How'd you get your own internet? I've always had to share an internet with
    >> everybody else. You must be or know someone important.

    > You need to install the .inf driver for your modem

    "inf" for "infinite-net", right?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2004
  8. cw

    Boomer Guest

    "cw" <> wrote in

    >> You need to install the .inf driver for your modem

    > Thanks but how do I do that please.?

    A quick search at Google.com.

    Mid page...
    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/drivers.asp

    HTH

    Boomer, Apr 5, 2004
  9. cw

    Chris Guest

    >> cw wrote:
    >>Hi, I have dial up 56k. Recently my internet has been showing speed of

    115.2kbps.

    <snip>

    When I had a dialup, this also happened to me, but only twice in a 3 year
    period. When it occurred, the connection speed was *definitely*
    faster.......(I tested regularly visited sites etc).....and it was
    blistering (for a dial up that is)..

    Is this possible? I always wondered but never really asked anyone.....
    Chris, Apr 5, 2004
  10. cw

    Unknown Guest

    Absolutely impossible. A 56K modem has a maximum speed of 53K. When you see
    the 115.2 speed it is indicating the maximum port speed.

    Unknown, Apr 5, 2004
  11. cw

    Dino Guest

    cw wrote:
    > You need to install the .inf driver for your modem
    >
    > Thanks but how do I do that please.?
    > "Dino" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>How'd you get your own internet? I've always had to share an internet

    > with
    >
    >>>everybody else. You must be or know someone important.
    >>>

    >>You need to install the .inf driver for your modem

    Go to the Modem manufacturers sight and get the driver.
    Dino, Apr 5, 2004
  12. cw

    hushia Guest

    "Dino" <> wrote in message
    > cw wrote:
    > > You need to install the .inf driver for your modem
    > >
    > > Thanks but how do I do that please.?
    > > "Dino" <> wrote in message

    > > with

    > >>You need to install the .inf driver for your modem

    > Go to the Modem manufacturers sight and get the driver.

    But make sure they don't spot you!
    hushia, Apr 5, 2004
  13. cw

    Chris Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > Absolutely impossible. A 56K modem has a maximum speed of 53K. When you

    see
    > the 115.2 speed it is indicating the maximum port speed.

    Ah....just my wishful thinking then....
    Chris, Apr 5, 2004
  14. Chris wrote:
    >>> cw wrote:
    >>>Hi, I have dial up 56k. Recently my internet has been showing speed of

    > 115.2kbps.

    ><snip>

    > When I had a dialup, this also happened to me, but only twice in a 3 year
    > period. When it occurred, the connection speed was *definitely*
    > faster.......(I tested regularly visited sites etc).....and it was
    > blistering (for a dial up that is)..

    Why did you answer me, and snip whatever I posted? If you're not going
    to at least include SOMETHING of what someone else posted, respond to the guy
    you're really responding to.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2004
  15. Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2004
  16. cw

    Chris Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > > 115.2kbps.

    > ><snip>

    > > When I had a dialup, this also happened to me, but only twice in a 3

    year
    > > period. When it occurred, the connection speed was *definitely*
    > > faster.......(I tested regularly visited sites etc).....and it was
    > > blistering (for a dial up that is)..

    > Why did you answer me, and snip whatever I posted? If you're not going
    > to at least include SOMETHING of what someone else posted, respond to the

    guy
    > you're really responding to.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux RU 4892F

    Apologies - I thought I had.
    I responded to CW (OP April 04, 2004 10:41 PM), snipped it so it only showed
    his opening sentence and responded to it.
    I know how narky this group gets about this stuff so please indicate to me
    what I did wrong and I'll endeavour not to do it again.

    Chris
    Chris, Apr 5, 2004
  17. cw

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:34:11 +0100, in
    <yChcc.25304$>
    Chris scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Apologies - I thought I had.
    >I responded to CW (OP April 04, 2004 10:41 PM),

    No, you didn't. You replied directly to Blinky, but
    snipped relevent attribution information to make
    it LOOK like you replied to cw. The actual thread
    goes something like:

    cw (Original Poster)
    ....|
    ....|-=Hawk=-
    ....|
    ....|°Mike°
    ....|
    ....|Blinky the Shark
    ........|
    ........|Dino
    ............|
    ............|cw
    ............|---|
    ............|---|Boomer
    ............|---|
    ............|---|Dino
    ............|-------|
    ............|-------|hushia
    ............|-------|
    ............|-------|Blinky the Shark
    ............|
    ............|Blinky the Shark <-- [***Blinky replied to cw***]
    ................|
    ................|Chris <-- [***You replied to Blinky***]
    ....................|
    ....................|Unknown
    ....................|---|
    ....................|---|Chris
    ....................|
    ....................|Blinky the Shark
    ........................|
    ........................|Chris
    ............................|
    ............................|°Mike°

    > snipped it so it only showed his opening sentence
    >and responded to it.

    Bad form.

    >I know how narky this group gets about this stuff so
    >please indicate to me what I did wrong and I'll endeavour
    >not to do it again.
    >
    >Chris

    Simply highlight the message (click on it) of the person
    you wish to respond to, before pressing 'Reply Group'.
    If that particular post is not available on your server,
    do NOT snip relevent attributions (who said what), and
    prefix (at the top) your post with <Piggybacked> to
    indicate your reply is aimed at somebody other than the
    person you actually are replying to.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 5, 2004
  18. cw

    Chris Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:34:11 +0100, in
    > <yChcc.25304$>
    > Chris scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >Apologies - I thought I had.
    > >I responded to CW (OP April 04, 2004 10:41 PM),

    > No, you didn't. You replied directly to Blinky, but
    > snipped relevent attribution information to make
    > it LOOK like you replied to cw. The actual thread
    > goes something like:
    >
    > cw (Original Poster)
    > ...|
    > ...|-=Hawk=-
    > ...|
    > ...|°Mike°
    > ...|
    > ...|Blinky the Shark
    > .......|
    > .......|Dino
    > ...........|
    > ...........|cw
    > ...........|---|
    > ...........|---|Boomer
    > ...........|---|
    > ...........|---|Dino
    > ...........|-------|
    > ...........|-------|hushia
    > ...........|-------|
    > ...........|-------|Blinky the Shark
    > ...........|
    > ...........|Blinky the Shark <-- [***Blinky replied to cw***]
    > ...............|
    > ...............|Chris <-- [***You replied to Blinky***]
    > ...................|
    > ...................|Unknown
    > ...................|---|
    > ...................|---|Chris
    > ...................|
    > ...................|Blinky the Shark
    > .......................|
    > .......................|Chris
    > ...........................|
    > ...........................|°Mike°
    >

    > > snipped it so it only showed his opening sentence
    > >and responded to it.

    > Bad form.
    >
    > >I know how narky this group gets about this stuff so
    > >please indicate to me what I did wrong and I'll endeavour
    > >not to do it again.
    > >
    > >Chris

    > Simply highlight the message (click on it) of the person
    > you wish to respond to, before pressing 'Reply Group'.
    > If that particular post is not available on your server,
    > do NOT snip relevent attributions (who said what), and
    > prefix (at the top) your post with <Piggybacked> to
    > indicate your reply is aimed at somebody other than the
    > person you actually are replying to.

    Oh, ok - sorry all
    Thanks for the pointers
    Chris, Apr 5, 2004
  19. cw

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:17:23 +0100, in
    <2ficc.25499$>
    Chris scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Oh, ok - sorry all
    >Thanks for the pointers

    No problem, and thanks for taking the time to ask
    and to learn. :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 5, 2004