    I thought Internet Speed Boost software might help.
    If anyone has experience of this could you point me in the right direction?
    Thanx in Advance
    zybbok, Oct 21, 2006

  2. zybbok wrote:

    > Hello Folks.

    > Can anyone tell me if 'Internet Speed Boost' software actually works?
    > I've got a Broadband service

    Which one and what speed is it?

    > and I installed McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 a few days ago.

    My condolences.

    > The internet now feels 'jerky'; it isn't as smooth in operation as it
    > was.

    Get rid of the resource hog from McAfee. Which part of "the internet"
    feels jerky? NNTP, FTP, HTTP, POP3 ... ?

    > I thought Internet Speed Boost software might help. If anyone
    > has experience of this could you point me in the right direction?
    > Thanx in Advance

    Googling for "Internet Speed Boost" turns up a bunch of links hawking a
    dial-up accelerator. Looks like some affiliate-selling scam. Here's what
    I think about those:

    http://k75s.home.att.net/accelerator.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 21, 2006

  3. zybbok

    Jim Guest

    "zybbok" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Folks.
    > Can anyone tell me if 'Internet Speed Boost' software actually works?
    > I've got a Broadband service and I installed McAfee Internet Security
    > Suite 2007 a few days ago.
    > The internet now feels 'jerky'; it isn't as smooth in operation as it was.
    > I thought Internet Speed Boost software might help.
    > If anyone has experience of this could you point me in the right
    > direction?
    > Thanx in Advance

    They used to on dial up systems, but not on broadband. The decompression
    part can slow your system right down. It doesn't work for anything other
    than text anyway and certainly doesn't work on broadband. Get shut of
    McAfee as it is crap. I installed it a few days ago and took it off within
    15mins. Everything was going slow, then a sudden burst of data, then slow
    again. The programs are rubbish.
    Get yourself AVG Antivirus and Zone Alarm instead. You will notice a hell
    of a difference.
    Jim, Oct 21, 2006
  4. zybbok enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > Hello Folks.
    > Can anyone tell me if 'Internet Speed Boost' software actually works?
    > I've got a Broadband service and I installed McAfee Internet Security
    > Suite 2007 a few days ago.
    > The internet now feels 'jerky'; it isn't as smooth in operation as it
    > was. I thought Internet Speed Boost software might help.

    Well, just think - how was "the internet" a few days ago before you
    installed McAfee?
    Now, McAfee tries to employ some kind of "application proxies" on your
    pc, to filter incoming web content and scan for viruses, or mails.
    While the application proxy receives a file/ a picture / a page of
    text/, it pauses your browser until the information is ready to scan
    for viruses or malware. Then, after that's done, data comes "in a
    flash".
    If you can live with the delays, is your choice.
    However, using a safer browser and a broadband router, together with
    some antispyware tool and a up-to-date virus scanner that does just the
    job it's made for, and - most important - browsing as a "restricted
    user" will IMHO serve you better.
    Do not install another local proxy (accellerator), most probably you'd
    end up with a unuseable system.
    Walter Mautner, Oct 21, 2006