Internet SMS reception

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, May 29, 2008.

  1. Almost every VOIP provider and their dog allows sending of SMS from their
    website, and some allow sending of SMS through the SIP protocol. Quite
    often these are easy to script.

    But does anyone offer an SMS receive service? I'm thinking of a system
    where you get a number (can be anywhere in the world). When an SMS is
    received it activates some action my server can pick up - sends an email,
    causes an HTTP request, or something like that. The important bit is that
    it's push - I don't want to be polling a webpage every minute just in case.
    I need a fairly timely response - preferably within a minute or two of the
    SMS being received at the gateway. SMS will come out of the blue - it won't
    be a reply to another text.

    I notice there are SMS->email gateways out there, but are there any that fit
    my timing requirements? I don't want one that only empties its queue every
    half an hour. I'd actually rather avoid running an SMTP server if I can
    (because as soon as I open the SMTP port I'll get every script kiddie trying
    to break in, which is a bit of a load for my tiny number of genuine
    messages).

    I'm quite happy to have to put a prefix on the SMS (like the shortcodes that
    say things like 'text WIN and your name to 12345') and it can be anywhere in
    the world (with a preference for the UK). Volume is tiny (at most one per
    week).

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Theo
    Theo Markettos, May 29, 2008

  2. Theo Markettos

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:zRd*,
    Theo Markettos <> typed, for some
    strange, unexplained reason:
    :
    : But does anyone offer an SMS receive service? I'm thinking of a
    : system where you get a number (can be anywhere in the world). When
    : an SMS is received it activates some action my server can pick up -
    : sends an email, causes an HTTP request, or something like that.

    [snip]

    You might try asking your local radio station, ours here certainly has a
    facility where you send a message to their number (it's a normal mobile
    number not a shortcode) and it appears on the presenter's screen. But I
    doubt it'll be cheap.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 29, 2008

  3. Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > You might try asking your local radio station, ours here certainly has a
    > facility where you send a message to their number (it's a normal mobile
    > number not a shortcode) and it appears on the presenter's screen. But I
    > doubt it'll be cheap.

    I'm guessing they have some kind of Premicell with a port on the back that
    plugs into a PC. I suppose I could do the same with an old phone and a
    cable - for software perhaps gnokii-smsd might do the trick (and I probably
    have a suitable phone and cable already). But I'd need to keep a phone
    powered all the time, as well as keep a SIM topped up (I suppose I could
    automate it to make it call the speaking clock every 6 months to keep it
    alive).

    I was just wondering if there was a hosted solution to save the power and
    hassle?

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, May 30, 2008
  4. Theo Markettos

    Steve Purdy Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    > Almost every VOIP provider and their dog allows sending of SMS from their
    > website, and some allow sending of SMS through the SIP protocol. Quite
    > often these are easy to script.
    >
    > But does anyone offer an SMS receive service? I'm thinking of a system
    > where you get a number (can be anywhere in the world). When an SMS is
    > received it activates some action my server can pick up - sends an email,
    > causes an HTTP request, or something like that. The important bit is that
    > it's push - I don't want to be polling a webpage every minute just in
    > case.
    > I need a fairly timely response - preferably within a minute or two of the
    > SMS being received at the gateway. SMS will come out of the blue - it
    > won't
    > be a reply to another text.
    >
    > I notice there are SMS->email gateways out there, but are there any that
    > fit
    > my timing requirements? I don't want one that only empties its queue
    > every
    > half an hour. I'd actually rather avoid running an SMTP server if I can
    > (because as soon as I open the SMTP port I'll get every script kiddie
    > trying
    > to break in, which is a bit of a load for my tiny number of genuine
    > messages).
    >
    > I'm quite happy to have to put a prefix on the SMS (like the shortcodes
    > that
    > say things like 'text WIN and your name to 12345') and it can be anywhere
    > in
    > the world (with a preference for the UK). Volume is tiny (at most one per
    > week).
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Try AAISP http://www.aaisp.net.uk/ they announced something like this the
    other day - see
    http://aaisp.blogspot.com:80/2008/05/text-keyword-service.html

    Steve
    Steve Purdy, May 30, 2008
  5. Theo Markettos

    > Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >> You might try asking your local radio station, ours here certainly has a
    >> facility where you send a message to their number (it's a normal mobile
    >> number not a shortcode) and it appears on the presenter's screen. But I
    >> doubt it'll be cheap.

    > I'm guessing they have some kind of Premicell with a port on the back that
    > plugs into a PC. I suppose I could do the same with an old phone and a
    > cable - for software perhaps gnokii-smsd might do the trick (and I
    > probably
    > have a suitable phone and cable already). But I'd need to keep a phone
    > powered all the time, as well as keep a SIM topped up (I suppose I could
    > automate it to make it call the speaking clock every 6 months to keep it
    > alive).
    >
    > I was just wondering if there was a hosted solution to save the power and
    > hassle?

    A lot of the BBC uses a central application on shared numbers (some are used
    by stations for (say) an hour then another station gets the same number for
    the next hour and some use keywords. Don't know about commercial stations.
    Steve Purdy, May 30, 2008
  6. In article <BRd*>,
    Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    >Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >> You might try asking your local radio station, ours here certainly has a
    >> facility where you send a message to their number (it's a normal mobile
    >> number not a shortcode) and it appears on the presenter's screen. But I
    >> doubt it'll be cheap.

    >I'm guessing they have some kind of Premicell with a port on the back that
    >plugs into a PC. I suppose I could do the same with an old phone and a
    >cable - for software perhaps gnokii-smsd might do the trick (and I probably
    >have a suitable phone and cable already). But I'd need to keep a phone
    >powered all the time, as well as keep a SIM topped up (I suppose I could
    >automate it to make it call the speaking clock every 6 months to keep it
    >alive).

    There are many devices to do this - I use a dedicated GSM terminal
    (basically a mobile phone with an rs232 port and no audio hardware) and
    the linux getsms and putsms command-line stuff, but as you say you don't
    want to host it yourself...

    So you could pay someone to host it for you and a quick google of and
    the linux getsms and putsms command-line stuff, but as you say you don't
    want to host it yourself...

    So you could pay someone to host it for you and a quick google of hosted
    sim shows lots of links.... But for one a week, it might not be worth
    it (and yes, keeping a contract open might be an issue - I did once have
    an O2 PAYG SIM lapse on me )-: however just sending one TXT a week seems
    to keep the current one live)

    Some time back I was looking for bulk SMS servers for another project
    and found a Scottish company who seem to trade under a few names, and
    although the project didn't get off the ground, I did communicate with
    them and they seemed to answer email quickly enough - a quick search
    through their sites finds:

    http://www.hslsms.com/recvsms-1.html

    however you're looking at the best part of £30 a month for the hosting
    service...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, May 30, 2008
  7. Theo Markettos

    Tim Guest

    Theo Markettos wrote:
    > I'm quite happy to have to put a prefix on the SMS (like the shortcodes that
    > say things like 'text WIN and your name to 12345') and it can be anywhere in
    > the world (with a preference for the UK). Volume is tiny (at most one per
    > week).
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You need to talk to AQL. Most people who offer SMS services are
    actually reselling AQL.

    http://www.aql.com/

    Tim
    Tim, May 30, 2008
  8. Hi Theo and Tim,

    Tim wrote:
    > Theo Markettos wrote:
    >> I'm quite happy to have to put a prefix on the SMS (like the
    >> shortcodes that
    >> say things like 'text WIN and your name to 12345') and it can be
    >> anywhere in
    >> the world (with a preference for the UK). Volume is tiny (at most one
    >> per
    >> week).
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > You need to talk to AQL. Most people who offer SMS services are
    > actually reselling AQL.
    >
    > http://www.aql.com/
    >
    > Tim

    We do indeed. We provide keywords on our shortcode services in the way
    you've described, as well as inbound SMS on geographic numbers so that
    if you want to set up a combined VoIP/Fax and inbound SMS number you can
    do. As these only work within the UK we also offer virtual mobile
    numbers which will work internationally. All of these allow messages to
    be delivered via HTTP Post. The geographic numbers and virtual numbers
    are dedicated, so you could set up as many keywords as you wanted on
    your own scripts, or just accept inbound messages.

    If you're looking to do responses to your customer's messages, we also
    provide outbound services, and customers would see that your messages
    came from your virtual number with us, which means they could reply
    straight back to your scripts. Alternatively, you can present your
    company name on your outbound messages. Again, these can be sent over
    HTTP Post or Email.

    Give me a call on 01133 20 30 40 if you have any questions about the
    service or pricing and we can get a trial set up for you.

    Regards,

    Craig
    Craig Hopkins, May 30, 2008
  9. Theo Markettos

    Chris Davies Guest

    Steve Purdy <> wrote:
    > A lot of the BBC uses a central application on shared numbers (some are used
    > by stations for (say) an hour then another station gets the same number for
    > the next hour and some use keywords. Don't know about commercial stations.

    Our local commercial station appears to share its short code, as whenever
    it advertises the number to SMS, the presenter always warns people to
    "start your message with STRAY".

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jun 2, 2008