    that we add spanning-tree root value o all our core switches. Would
    this improve our internet experince, or are ther other things the we
    can do to improve or Internet performance. Thanks.
    Someone, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Someone

    nazgulero Guest

    Hello,

    looking at the amount of buildings and switches you are mentioning, I
    asume you have several hundred users ? I would have a look at the load
    on the T1. Depending on the IOS version you are running on the router
    connecting to the Internet, you could either turn on ip accounting on
    the interface where the T1 is connecting to (with the ´ip accounting´
    interface command), and then look at the output with the ´show ip
    accounting´ command, this will show you the source and destination IP
    address pairs, as well as the amount of packets sent. Possibly, your
    users are running streaming audio or video over the T!, which would
    quickly saturate the link.
    You could also try and turn on NBAR protocol discovery, with the
    interface command ´ip nbar protocol-discovery´, and then look at the
    output with the ´show ip nbar protocol-discovery´ command.

    HTH,

    Naz
    nazgulero, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Someone

    Guest

    > We have about 40 Switches in our network which span 9 buildings with
    > T1 connection between the buildings. Our Internet connections is very
    > very very slow. An analysis done by a consulting company suggested
    > that we add spanning-tree root value o all our core switches

    As you seem to have concluded you need expert help
    on site.

    It is not clear if you have got it in this case or not.

    Setting the STP 'root value' or more correctly Bridge Priority
    may or may not change the topology. If it does change the
    topology it may or may not be better for any particular traffic.

    A half decent model is that to get between any two points
    on the network traffic goes via the root. It is best if the root
    is at the centre since if the root is at an edge some traffic
    may have to traverse twice the diameter of the network
    to get between two points. If the root is at the centre
    then the max "distance" between two points is
    only the network diameter.

    Note that traffic does not necessarily go all the way to the root.
    That is though the worst case.
    , Dec 20, 2005