    these problems at the moment or have been experiencing them recently?

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Oct 11, 2003

  2. WriteWord Translations

    Big Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:48:36 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it just me or is the Internet really slow all of a sudden?
    >
    >Web pages are just refusing to load. Or if they do load, they take at least
    >five minutes (which is a long time when you're waiting for a Web page to
    >load). Whenever I try to open a page, any page, I just get a blank, and the
    >Internet Explorer bar either crawls painfully along or doesn't move at all.
    >
    >Disconnecting and logging back in makes no difference (but sometimes it has
    >in the past). Same applies to closing IE and reopening it.
    >
    >I'm using Xtra, and am in Wellington on dialup. Any other Xtra dialup
    >customers in Wellington (or elsewhere in NZ for that matter) experiencing
    >these problems at the moment or have been experiencing them recently?
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >ROWAN M.

    Thats Xtra for you, no one likes it..

    Big , Oct 11, 2003

  3. WriteWord Translations

    pour-lay Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:53:07 +1300, Big wrote:

    >Thats Xtra for you, no one likes it..

    I'm sure xtra gets a lot of 'first timers' who move onto better and
    often cheaper ISPs, when they get wiser.

    Thye really do have the crappiest service at the worst price.

    pour-lay, Oct 11, 2003
  4. WriteWord Translations

    Kookaburra Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is it just me or is the Internet really slow all of a sudden?
    >
    >Web pages are just refusing to load. Or if they do load, they take at least
    >five minutes (which is a long time when you're waiting for a Web page to
    >load). Whenever I try to open a page, any page, I just get a blank, and the
    >Internet Explorer bar either crawls painfully along or doesn't move at all.
    >
    >Disconnecting and logging back in makes no difference (but sometimes it has
    >in the past). Same applies to closing IE and reopening it.
    >
    >I'm using Xtra, and am in Wellington on dialup. Any other Xtra dialup
    >customers in Wellington (or elsewhere in NZ for that matter) experiencing
    >these problems at the moment or have been experiencing them recently?
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >ROWAN M.

    That's exactly what was happening to me earlier this evening with
    Paradise. I was disconnecting and logging back on as well but it made
    no difference. I couldn't even download my emails. Seems with
    Paradise is was confined to the Wellington area too.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Oct 11, 2003
  5. WriteWord Translations

    Lukagain Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is it just me or is the Internet really slow all of a sudden?

    My Xtra account is also buggered internationally.
    Seems like IP packets are being dropped at NZ Gate National Service
    Provider, administered by Telecom New Zealand Ltd.

    Nor affecting my GlobeNet account.
    There may be a lesson there somewhere.

    Lukagain, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Yes, true. New Zealand-based sites are fine, but international sites are
    absolutely hopeless right now.

    I think the IP packets thing was affecting Paradise earlier as well, from
    what I read on that thread.

    Thanks Lukagain, Kookaburra and others for your info.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Oct 11, 2003
  7. WriteWord Translations

    Lost Guest

    WriteWord Translations wrote:

    > Is it just me or is the Internet really slow all of a sudden?
    >
    > Web pages are just refusing to load. Or if they do load, they take at least
    > five minutes (which is a long time when you're waiting for a Web page to
    > load). Whenever I try to open a page, any page, I just get a blank, and the
    > Internet Explorer bar either crawls painfully along or doesn't move at all.

    You've probably got a faulty modem. It is commonplace for modems to deteriorate
    and/or die with time, and slowdowns such as you've described may occur.
    Xtra is not the best ISP, but it should not take 5 minutes to load a webpage.

    Sometimes increased line-noise conditions can be at fault too.

    Lost, Oct 11, 2003
  8. WriteWord Translations

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "WriteWord Translations" <> wrote in message
    > Is it just me or is the Internet really slow all of a sudden?
    >
    > Web pages are just refusing to load. Or if they do load, they take at

    least
    > five minutes (which is a long time when you're waiting for a Web page to
    > load). Whenever I try to open a page, any page, I just get a blank, and

    the
    > Internet Explorer bar either crawls painfully along or doesn't move at

    all.

    > Disconnecting and logging back in makes no difference (but sometimes it

    has
    > in the past). Same applies to closing IE and reopening it.
    >
    > I'm using Xtra, and am in Wellington on dialup. Any other Xtra dialup
    > customers in Wellington (or elsewhere in NZ for that matter) experiencing
    > these problems at the moment or have been experiencing them recently?
    >
    > Best Regards
    >
    > ROWAN M.

    At the moment I have three ISP's - one set to flatrate at a time of course.
    They are Clearnet, Hypernet, and Globenet. Of the three, I find Globenet the
    best overall. On Clearnet I frequently get disconnected, Hypernet can be
    slow some nights. I am in the Wellington area.

    Eagle Eye, Oct 11, 2003
  9. WriteWord Translations

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 23:53:07 +1300, Big wrote:
    >
    > >Thats Xtra for you, no one likes it..

    > I'm sure xtra gets a lot of 'first timers' who move onto better and
    > often cheaper ISPs, when they get wiser.

    I'm equally sure they don't. Xtra's service is far better than Paradise
    at times.

    Mainlander, Oct 12, 2003