    connections before although there was always at least one wired connection.
    I must add that I tried to hard wire a connection to the desktop but would
    only get 169.x.x.x ip addresses. Help......
    rc, Mar 21, 2009

  2. Hi
    If you do not have a Router with DHCP you have to assign Static IPs and use
    ICS.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 22, 2009

  3. rc

    James Egan Guest

    On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:58:37 -0400, "rc" <rc@home> wrote:

    >I am trying desperately to share an internet connection between a laptop
    >running Windows Vista connected wirelessly to a Westell 7500 modem (thru
    >Verizon) and a desktop running Windows XP. I would like to also do this
    >wirelessly using a Realtek8185 wireless network card. I have everything
    >installed, I can see the network connection and yet I can't seem to connect.
    >I'm having brain freeze as I have set up networks and shared internet
    >connections before although there was always at least one wired connection.
    >I must add that I tried to hard wire a connection to the desktop but would
    >only get 169.x.x.x ip addresses. Help......

    That device is a modem router so you should be able to connect to it
    wirelessly from both desktop and laptop at the same time. Before you
    can do that you need to establish a wired connection to the modem
    router's web interface at (default) 192.168.1.1 and configure all the
    wireless and maybe mac access control settings. Then match those
    settings on the pc's.

    If you can't communicate with the modem router at all you may have to
    hard reset it to its default settings. You need to look in the manual
    for how to do that.

    Jim.
    James Egan, Mar 22, 2009
  4. Sooner Al [MVP], Mar 22, 2009