    i don't really want to use ICS or proxy.

    thanks

    will.
    will, Jun 21, 2004

  2. will

    Howard Guest

    will wrote:

    > i have a W2K pc connected to the internet via a dial-up modem, and i
    > have a couple of other machines networked to this pc.
    >
    > is there a way to configure my main pc (software or hardware-wise) to
    > 'fool' other machines that they're connecting directly to the internet?
    > i don't really want to use ICS or proxy.

    ICS is the expected way to do this. Can you tell us why you don't want to
    use it?

    -H
    Howard, Jun 21, 2004

  3. will

    max wheatley Guest

    www.mailtraq.com ..... the free version

    max wheatley, Jun 21, 2004
  4. will

    Rupert Guest

    I believe Will wants the impossible - he wants a network of PC's to connect
    to the internet via one main machine - with out using a proxy server - small
    chance as any software that provides this service is a proxy server in it's
    own right.

    Rupert, Jun 21, 2004
  5. will

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:30:48 +1200, will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i have a W2K pc connected to the internet via a dial-up modem, and i have
    > a couple of other machines networked to this pc.
    >
    > is there a way to configure my main pc (software or hardware-wise) to
    > 'fool' other machines that they're connecting directly to the internet? i
    > don't really want to use ICS or proxy.

    Is there any reason why ICS (NAT I think) or a proxy aren't suitable?

    The only way to do this without NAT or a proxy is if you somehow manage
    to get routable IP adresses for your LAN (via dialup - yeah right). Even
    then you would still something to do the routing - I think W2K can do
    that (for certain values of 'do'), but don't quote me on that.

    Just use NAT or a proxy.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 21, 2004
  6. will

    will Guest

    > Is there any reason why ICS (NAT I think) or a proxy aren't suitable?

    #### i think i'm too dumb or lazy to set them up properly :)

    i did try proxy, it works fine with Win98 and W2K, but not very well
    with my iPAQ. ICQ and Jabber couldn't resolve domain names (or their
    IPs) (login.icq.com and jabber.meta.net.nz) properly. weird thing is MSN
    Messenger can connect via the SOCKS5 proxy though.

    i also tried ICS, but it only works intermittently, for example, i can
    access www.google.com but not www.yahoo.com, it seems some domain names
    cannot be resolved. my host is 192.168.0.1, others with gateway to this
    host.

    when i had my ADSL router, everything was sweet, so i wanted something
    similar to that setup.

    cheers,

    will.
    will, Jun 21, 2004
  7. will wrote:
    > when i had my ADSL router, everything was sweet, so i wanted something
    > similar to that setup.

    buy a modem router thing... like a 5 port hub with a modem in it, setup
    via a web interface.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 22, 2004
  8. will

    theseus Guest

    will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i have a W2K pc connected to the internet via a dial-up modem, and i
    > have a couple of other machines networked to this pc.
    >
    > is there a way to configure my main pc (software or hardware-wise) to
    > 'fool' other machines that they're connecting directly to the internet?
    > i don't really want to use ICS or proxy.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    If you have an internal modem, Windows sharing is the option you are stuck
    with
    If you have an external modem you can
    Use a hardware modem router
    http://www.dlink.com.au/products/routers/dp602/
    There used to be a few more on the market, but dialup went out with the ark
    according to manufacturers now.
    or make one with freesco, LEAF, coyote, clarkconnect, ipcop, smoothwall,
    smeserver etc.
    freesco is simple autodialing and controllable via http.
    smeserver has a squid proxy and a whole bunch of stuff.
    Each method has its merits
    theseus, Jun 22, 2004