    or can it be set up another way via third party software.
    Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.

    Thankyou for any advice
    JONI, Sep 17, 2003

  2. JONI

    Suenet Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:35:48 +0100, JONI wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
    > users on windows 98se.
    > The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
    > pick up the pieces.
    > There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
    > The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
    >
    > Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
    > or can it be set up another way via third party software.
    > Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
    >

    > Thankyou for any advice

    A single port router would do just fine.
    Suenet, Sep 17, 2003

  3. JONI

    lee Guest

    Sounds easy how you put it.
    Any Idea where to position the router cause it looks kinda messy in the cab
    Can you elaberate please on the single port route or give me some bumf.

    Ta

    lee, Sep 17, 2003
  4. JONI

    Ron Martell Guest

    "JONI" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
    >users on windows 98se.
    >The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
    >pick up the pieces.
    >There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
    >The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
    >
    >Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
    >or can it be set up another way via third party software.
    >Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
    >

    >Thankyou for any advice

    Get a Cable/DSL router. They are widely available and prices are
    dropping. Saw one in the local Staples the other day for $39 CDN
    after rebate.

    These routers will have a WAN port that connects to your broadband
    modem and 4 LAN ports which can connect direct to PCs or to your
    switch. You may need a "crossover" wired cable to connect the Router
    to the Switch.

    Good luck.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 17, 2003
  5. JONI

    lee Guest

    Thanx ron
    You sound like you know the bobby more//
    Will check it out

    lee, Sep 17, 2003
  6. JONI

    AlanG Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
    >users on windows 98se.
    >The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
    >pick up the pieces.
    >There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
    >The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
    >
    >Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
    >or can it be set up another way via third party software.

    A router would be best but you could stick another NIC in a pc and use
    that. Not satisfactory IME.
    try http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2000.htm

    >Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.

    Depends on what your ISP allows.
    You can usually set up as many accounts as your ISP allows on as many
    machines as you like.

    --
    Alan G
    "The corporate life [of society] must be
    AlanG, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Get a router. Plug your switch into it.

    --
    Want someone to fix your computer remotely?
    Check out Network info at this site:

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/tips.htm
    "JONI" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know the best way to share Internet access (broadband) for 8
    > users on windows 98se.
    > The network setup has been done by some data engineer and Ive been left to
    > pick up the pieces.
    > There is a cabinet of 2x 20 port patch panels and a 20 port switch -
    > The network only consists of 8 clients peer 2 peer.
    >
    > Do I need a router to share everyone on a single B/band connection
    > or can it be set up another way via third party software.
    > Every machine needs to be able to send and receive emails as well/.
    >

    > Thankyou for any advice

    ---
    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 17, 2003