Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?=, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    The setup:

    Two laptops, one as host one as client.

    The host is setup as a wirless hotspot for the client to acess.

    Works great except for one thing; the client donload speed is far less than
    that of the host. (uploads speeds are equal between the two however)

    Some numbers:

    Donload kbps Upload kbs
    Host 700 300
    Client 140 300

    Any clues as to why the client is downloading at 140 whilst the host can
    achieve 700?

    Thanks ever so much for some insight!

    =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?=, Sep 14, 2007

  2. Hi
    It is hard to know why, and it might be that there is nothing that you can
    do about it.
    Getting a Wireless cable/DSL Router would provide equal speed and much
    netter network.
    There are "humble" Wireless Cable/DSL Router on sales for less than $30.
    A Wireless Cable/DSL Router is a device (size of a book) that connects
    between the Internet's Modem and the networked computers.
    This device Routes (direct) the Internet to the appropriate computer.
    You can plug in 4 computers with cable, and many computers can connect
    wirelessly to the Internet and between them self (Network Sharing).
    The system would be connected like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    More about Routers here, http://www.ezlan.net/routers1.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 15, 2007

  3. Hi N,

    I recently (about 6 mos. ago) got a wireless router in the price range Jack
    is referring to, and it works like a million bucks. It gives me (the
    wireless client) great speed and reliability. I bought a D-Link router, but
    there are many good ones that are fairly inexpensive made by other
    manufacturers.

    --
    HTH,
    Curt

    Windows Support Center
    www.aumha.org
    Practically Nerded,...
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

    Curt Christianson, Sep 15, 2007
  4. Re: Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download sp

    Appreciate the advise, heres the deal regarding the current setup...the
    client is a company laptop and is using the hosts internet connection to hook
    up to the company network; the security policy of the compnay laptop allows
    it hook up to wireless hotspots.

    Internet on the host is provided by a USB web and walk gadget. Security
    policy on the company laptop will not let the web and walk anywhere near its
    fragile USB ports. Hence the need to "share" the internet through a hotspot.

    I understand that a hotspot can also be shared via a router, iso. a stand
    alone laptop acting as a host (I have a router) however I cannot visualise
    the setup in this instance ie: Plug the USB web and walk in to the router (it
    has no ethernet cable output)...Perhaps the host laptop with internet can
    replace the role of the cable/DSL modem in you diagram? I do not know if/how
    this would work?

    My router is an ASUS WL 500g

    Really appreciate the info so far

    =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?=, Sep 15, 2007