Internet Shareing problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ockerr, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Ockerr

    Ockerr Guest

    I have set up my Home computer with the Winxp network
    I have My computer, and My wife's as a client
    We communicate between computers okay no problems at all with file sharing,
    Netmeeting ect.

    I have broad band, she has Dialup
    As we are networked together I want her to use my Broadband connection.
    I have set it up as directed and used the Netsetup disk on her computer

    On her Computer I can see my ADSL connection in The START,SETTINGS, NETWORK
    CONNECTIONS folder

    But when I load up Internet explorer on her Computer I cant connect, I have
    been to The TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS and then to CONNECTIONS, and I have my
    ADSL connection showing in the (Dial-up and virtual Private Network
    settings)
    I have set Her new ADSL as (Default) done OK, and then tried to connect to
    the internet with IE but it just hangs and does not connect. IE doesn't seem
    to recognize the ADSL

    Sure I have cocked it up some where, Can any one tell me what might be the
    problem
    Many thanks

    Ockerr, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Ockerr

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-11, Ockerr <> wrote:

    snip

    > Sure I have cocked it up some where, Can any one tell me what might be the
    > problem
    > Many thanks

    Sounds as though you are trying to do things the hard way. Have you got a
    'router' for your ADSL connection? If so, and if your computers both have
    'network' or 'ethernet' sockets, you can connect both computers to the
    router, and let the router handle all the interconnections. If you
    haven't got a router, perhaps it would be worth getting one. Ideally, a
    combined 'modem' and router is the easiest to manage. They come with
    simple instructions for getting a basic network set up.

    If your computers both have 'wireless cards', you don't even need wires to
    connect them to a 'wireless router'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Ockerr

    Ockerr Guest

    No I dont have a Router.
    But the strange part is
    On the client I can click on connect and the Icon will come up that I am
    connected to the Internet, I definately have the Broadband Running on the
    Client.
    Its Just that I cannot bring up a web Page on IE, it cant find it as the IE
    program cant find my Broadband line, Yet I have add'd the new connection to
    the Logon startup, when I try to connect it just cant find that connection,
    Yet its there I can see it Blinking and its working.
    cheers

    Ockerr, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Ockerr

    old man Guest

    From recollection, if the sys are networked with the modem on sys A, you
    enable internet sharing and connect sys B via LAN, not the modem connection.
    That said sys A has to be on, If you use a reuter, modem>reuter> PC's both
    sys are independent

    old man, Apr 12, 2006