Internet service?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe J., Aug 16, 2009.

  1. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    I currently use a Sprint wireless card plugged directly into my router for
    Internet access and to run my home network. My contract will be ending soon
    and I don't want to continue because it is too slow. I currently pay $55
    for Sprint. Embarq is our telco provider and if I bundled service with them
    I could get phone & 3M download, 640k upload for $49 per month. First, any
    opinions on Embarq and the price and speed? No download cap.
    I could also upgrade to 5Mbps for $59 or 10Mbps for $65, phone included.
    Are these kinds of speeds actually achieved?

    Cox cable is another option Their bundled rate for phone and Internet is
    $75 per month and the download speed is "up to 8M". I would also have to
    pay a fee to have a jack relocated. I need DirecTv for sports packages.
    AT&T not available in my area.

    Second, if I go the Embarq route, it sounds like they provide a modem. My
    router has a jack labeled "phone in" but it is not the normal modular plug,
    but a very flat jack, like a USB plug. Is that where the modem output would
    go and would they provide the cable?

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe J., Aug 16, 2009

  2. Joe J.

    - Bobb - Guest

    re:

    > " My router has a jack labeled "phone in" but it is not the normal modular
    > plug, but a very flat jack, like a USB plug. Is that where the modem
    > output would go and would they provide the cable?"

    I'd check manual/website for your router.

    - Bobb -, Aug 16, 2009

  3. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    Now I'm getting more confused but from what I read in the manual:
    a.. Enables wireless broadband network with 1xEV-DO PC card or phone*
    a.. Supports high rates up to 2.4 Mbps (typical download speed of 400-700
    Kpbs)

    Do this mean this router will essentially cap my speed at 2.4Mbps, so it
    doesn't matter what speed the server provides? Unless I buy a new router?

    Thanks,

    Joe J., Aug 16, 2009
  4. Joe J.

    GTS Guest

    "Joe J." <> wrote in message
    >I currently use a Sprint wireless card plugged directly into my router for
    >Internet access and to run my home network. My contract will be ending
    >soon and I don't want to continue because it is too slow. I currently pay
    >$55 for Sprint. Embarq is our telco provider and if I bundled service with
    >them I could get phone & 3M download, 640k upload for $49 per month.
    >First, any opinions on Embarq and the price and speed? No download cap.
    > I could also upgrade to 5Mbps for $59 or 10Mbps for $65, phone included.
    > Are these kinds of speeds actually achieved?
    >
    > Cox cable is another option Their bundled rate for phone and Internet is
    > $75 per month and the download speed is "up to 8M". I would also have to
    > pay a fee to have a jack relocated. I need DirecTv for sports packages.
    > AT&T not available in my area.
    >
    > Second, if I go the Embarq route, it sounds like they provide a modem. My
    > router has a jack labeled "phone in" but it is not the normal modular
    > plug, but a very flat jack, like a USB plug. Is that where the modem
    > output would go and would they provide the cable?
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joe

    No. The modem from the provider will have a telephone jack.
    GTS, Aug 16, 2009
  5. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    Answered my own question...looks like I need a new router to support cable
    or DSL speeds.
    But, still need opinions on providers.
    Joe.

    Joe J., Aug 16, 2009
  6. Joe J.

    - Bobb - Guest

    >> "Joe J." <> wrote in message
    >>>I currently use a Sprint wireless card plugged directly into my router
    >>>for Internet access and to run my home network. My contract will be
    >>>ending soon and I don't want to continue because it is too slow. I
    >>>currently pay $55 for Sprint. Embarq is our telco provider and if I
    >>>bundled service with them I could get phone & 3M download, 640k upload
    >>>for $49 per month. First, any opinions on Embarq and the price and speed?
    >>>No download cap.
    >>> I could also upgrade to 5Mbps for $59 or 10Mbps for $65, phone included.
    >>> Are these kinds of speeds actually achieved?
    >>>
    >>> Cox cable is another option Their bundled rate for phone and Internet
    >>> is $75 per month and the download speed is "up to 8M". I would also
    >>> have to pay a fee to have a jack relocated. I need DirecTv for sports
    >>> packages. AT&T not available in my area.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Joe

    First , you " currently use a Sprint wireless card plugged directly into my
    router for internet access and to run my home network". If you skip the
    router ( which seems to have an issue from your tests so far), how's Sprint
    by itself ? Usually I find they're fine.

    Then, if you just want to drop Sprint, I'd start with thinking about: What
    do you do with your PC ?
    Do you need/would use higher speeds enough to justify higher costs ?
    For instance, if you use Yahoo type webpages and maybe email/newsgroups a
    lot and very rarely upload/download big files then speed doesn't matter etc.
    I have Comcast and bought my own cable modem ( rather than pay $3 month to
    rent one) and my basic internet costs $42
    Test here: on your current line to see what currently get.
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or
    http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/HighSpeedInternet/speedcomparison.html

    My Speakeasy Result just now :
    Download Speed: 6293 kbps (786.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 998 kbps (124.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Although I'm not crazy about Comcast ( hw is OK but when an issue, dealing
    the humans that WORK at Comcast is very aggravating), my only other local
    alternative is Verizon and they want my phone/cable/internet service for
    $129 for 2 years and ... who knows how much after that? They won't / can't
    tell me.
    In the meantime, Comcast for $54 for TV and internet is my choice.
    - Bobb -, Aug 16, 2009
  7. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    > Then, if you just want to drop Sprint, I'd start with thinking about: What
    > do you do with your PC ?
    > Do you need/would use higher speeds enough to justify higher costs ?
    > For instance, if you use Yahoo type webpages and maybe email/newsgroups a
    > lot and very rarely upload/download big files then speed doesn't matter
    > etc.
    > I have Comcast and bought my own cable modem ( rather than pay $3 month to
    > rent one) and my basic internet costs $42
    > Test here: on your current line to see what currently get.
    > http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or
    > http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/HighSpeedInternet/speedcomparison.html
    >
    > My Speakeasy Result just now :
    > Download Speed: 6293 kbps (786.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 998 kbps (124.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > Although I'm not crazy about Comcast ( hw is OK but when an issue, dealing
    > the humans that WORK at Comcast is very aggravating), my only other local
    > alternative is Verizon and they want my phone/cable/internet service for
    > $129 for 2 years and ... who knows how much after that? They won't / can't
    > tell me.
    > In the meantime, Comcast for $54 for TV and internet is my choice.

    I've tested using speakeasy before and it showed my speed sucks. Just to
    try again today I came up with an average of 500 down and 100 up. Before we
    moved I lived out in the country and the only option was satellite or phone
    modem. Did satellite for a year and that was awful, wind, rain, and snow
    would knock that out all the time. No DSL available. Then I came upon this
    router and the Sprint wireless card and it served its purpose. I am locked
    in for two more months, after that I want to dump it.
    Joe J., Aug 17, 2009
  8. Joe J.

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Joe J." <> wrote in message

    >> Then, if you just want to drop Sprint, I'd start with thinking about:
    >> What
    >> do you do with your PC ?
    >> Do you need/would use higher speeds enough to justify higher costs ?
    >> For instance, if you use Yahoo type webpages and maybe email/newsgroups a
    >> lot and very rarely upload/download big files then speed doesn't matter
    >> etc.
    >> I have Comcast and bought my own cable modem ( rather than pay $3 month
    >> to rent one) and my basic internet costs $42
    >> Test here: on your current line to see what currently get.
    >> http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ or
    >> http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/HighSpeedInternet/speedcomparison.html
    >>
    >> My Speakeasy Result just now :
    >> Download Speed: 6293 kbps (786.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >> Upload Speed: 998 kbps (124.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >>
    >> Although I'm not crazy about Comcast ( hw is OK but when an issue,
    >> dealing the humans that WORK at Comcast is very aggravating), my only
    >> other local alternative is Verizon and they want my phone/cable/internet
    >> service for $129 for 2 years and ... who knows how much after that? They
    >> won't / can't tell me.
    >> In the meantime, Comcast for $54 for TV and internet is my choice.
    >>

    > I've tested using speakeasy before and it showed my speed sucks. Just to
    > try again today I came up with an average of 500 down and 100 up. Before
    > we moved I lived out in the country and the only option was satellite or
    > phone modem. Did satellite for a year and that was awful, wind, rain, and
    > snow would knock that out all the time. No DSL available. Then I came
    > upon this router and the Sprint wireless card and it served its purpose.
    > I am locked in for two more months, after that I want to dump it.

    Joe,

    What if the backlog is your router ?
    Can you plug the sprint card right into a PC ( to avoid the router)
    Run the test from the PC ( no router in the picture)
    If THAT is acceptable, then how about a Linksys router with internet sharing
    from the Pc with the sprint card ?
    Sprint mobile broadband stuff:
    http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/mobile_broadband/index.shtml
    - Bobb -, Aug 17, 2009
  9. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    No slot on the PC for the wireless card, so I can't check. It's not a USB.
    In the end I'm leaning toward the bundle pkg from Embarq unless I hear
    something really bad about it. It would save me about $25 per month, after
    I pay for the new router. Good idea though, Bobb! Thanks.

    Joe

    Joe J., Aug 17, 2009
  10. Joe J.

    Red Hot Tips Guest