    --
    Cheers!

    Jan

    Jan, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Jan wrote:

    > I use AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and Microsoft Antispy. Computer is
    > kept updated with latest definitions, windows updates, etc. I also run
    > Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis. I have
    > noticed that if I do a search, for example about a medication I am
    > taking (I take a few being diabetic), I start getting a lot spam being
    > sent to me about the specific medication I searched for. Why is this
    > happening and what can I do to prevent it. I feel something is recording
    > my surfing habits but I don't know what. TIA.

    ...it does sound like you have spyware. None of the apps listed above has
    caught anything? Are you using IE?

    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    In article <NYYae.65257$A31.25705@fed1read03>,
    says...
    > Jan wrote:
    >
    > > I use AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and Microsoft Antispy. Computer is
    > > kept updated with latest definitions, windows updates, etc. I also run
    > > Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis. I have
    > > noticed that if I do a search, for example about a medication I am
    > > taking (I take a few being diabetic), I start getting a lot spam being
    > > sent to me about the specific medication I searched for. Why is this
    > > happening and what can I do to prevent it. I feel something is recording
    > > my surfing habits but I don't know what. TIA.

    > ..it does sound like you have spyware. None of the apps listed above has
    > caught anything? Are you using IE?
    >
    > Michael

    Yes using IE.
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan

    Jan, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Jan

    srm Guest

    Jan wrote:

    > Yes using IE.

    First, switch to Firefox or Opera. Second, have you run the anti-spyware
    utilities while your machine has been rebooted into safe mode?

    --
    @+

    srm, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Jan

    Ford Prefect Guest

    "Jan" <> wrote in message
    > In article <NYYae.65257$A31.25705@fed1read03>,
    > says...
    >> Jan wrote:
    >>
    >> > I use AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and Microsoft Antispy. Computer is
    >> > kept updated with latest definitions, windows updates, etc. I also run
    >> > Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis. I have
    >> > noticed that if I do a search, for example about a medication I am
    >> > taking (I take a few being diabetic), I start getting a lot spam being
    >> > sent to me about the specific medication I searched for. Why is this
    >> > happening and what can I do to prevent it. I feel something is
    >> > recording
    >> > my surfing habits but I don't know what. TIA.

    >> ..it does sound like you have spyware. None of the apps listed above has
    >> caught anything? Are you using IE?
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Yes using IE.
    > --
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Jan

    What are you using for searching?

    Ford...

    Ford Prefect, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Jan

    Jan Guest

    In article <>, ford_prefect69
    @hotmail.com says...

    > "Jan" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <NYYae.65257$A31.25705@fed1read03>,
    > > says...

    > >> ..it does sound like you have spyware. None of the apps listed above has
    > >> caught anything? Are you using IE?
    > >>
    > >> Michael
    > >>

    > > Yes using IE.
    > > --
    > >
    > > Cheers!
    > >
    > > Jan

    > What are you using for searching?
    >
    > Ford...

    Google.
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan

    Jan, Apr 25, 2005
  7. Jan

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:23:37 GMT, Jan <> wrote:

    >In article <>, ford_prefect69
    >@hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> "Jan" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <NYYae.65257$A31.25705@fed1read03>,
    >> > says...

    >> > Yes using IE.
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Cheers!
    >> >
    >> > Jan

    >> What are you using for searching?
    >>
    >> Ford...
    >>

    >Google.

    Jan,

    Be careful. Google does not have your safety as their primary goal.
    (It's a long thread, but there is discussion about Google).

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Apr 25, 2005
  8. Jan

    donnie Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:56:39 GMT, Jan <> wrote:

    >I use AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and Microsoft Antispy. Computer is
    >kept updated with latest definitions, windows updates, etc. I also run
    >Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis. I have
    >noticed that if I do a search, for example about a medication I am
    >taking (I take a few being diabetic), I start getting a lot spam being
    >sent to me about the specific medication I searched for. Why is this
    >happening and what can I do to prevent it. I feel something is recording
    >my surfing habits but I don't know what. TIA.

    #########################
    Cookies?
    donnie.

    donnie, Apr 27, 2005
  9. Jan

    DANG Guest

    "Jan" <> schreef in bericht
    > I use AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and Microsoft Antispy. Computer is
    > kept updated with latest definitions, windows updates, etc. I also run
    > Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis. I have
    > noticed that if I do a search, for example about a medication I am
    > taking (I take a few being diabetic), I start getting a lot spam being
    > sent to me about the specific medication I searched for. Why is this
    > happening and what can I do to prevent it. I feel something is recording
    > my surfing habits but I don't know what. TIA.

    I suggest getting hold of 2 freeware applications that may help:
    Spybot Search and Destroy - a useful spyware/cookie/browser help object
    buster
    available from many sources, here's just one:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

    and Emp Temp - useful utility to easily and quickly empty your
    temporary/history/cookie folders
    available here:
    http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/
    HTH
    DANG

    DANG, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Jan

    DANG Guest

    "DANG" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Jan" <> schreef in bericht
    > > I also run
    > > Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis.

    Oops, missed the spybot reference, nevermind, someone may find the link
    helpful and in the meantime, did you provide any site with your email
    address during your searching?

    DANG, Apr 27, 2005
  11. donnie wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:56:39 GMT, Jan <> wrote:
    >
    >>I use AVG Antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and Microsoft Antispy. Computer is
    >>kept updated with latest definitions, windows updates, etc. I also run
    >>Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and X Cleaner on a regular basis. I have
    >>noticed that if I do a search, for example about a medication I am
    >>taking (I take a few being diabetic), I start getting a lot spam being
    >>sent to me about the specific medication I searched for. Why is this
    >>happening and what can I do to prevent it. I feel something is recording
    >>my surfing habits but I don't know what. TIA.

    > #########################
    > Cookies?
    > donnie.

    ah...good point.