    have the same intruder on my system. How does one hunt someone down
    once they move residence, purchase a new PC, and have a new highspeed
    Internet account?
    The Pete, Jul 27, 2007

  2. The Pete

    sandy58 Guest

    On Jul 27, 4:38 am, The Pete <> wrote:
    > My PC was previousily hacked into successfully in my old apartment. I
    > recently moved, bought a new computer (has Norton firewall) and now I
    > have the same intruder on my system. How does one hunt someone down
    > once they move residence, purchase a new PC, and have a new highspeed
    > Internet account?

    You may have:
    Same e-mail address? Same password? Same chat group? Same sign-on
    name? Or you have sent him/her an e-mail unwittingly?
    It's someone you know? Work with? Lot's of ways you could have
    inadvertently slipped up to drop a clue.
    sandy58, Jul 27, 2007

  3. The Pete

    Paul Guest

    The Pete wrote:
    > My PC was previousily hacked into successfully in my old apartment. I
    > recently moved, bought a new computer (has Norton firewall) and now I
    > have the same intruder on my system. How does one hunt someone down
    > once they move residence, purchase a new PC, and have a new highspeed
    > Internet account?

    If you copied something from the old computer, you might have brought
    the Trojan horse code along with it. It is much easier to find someone,
    if a Trojan horse "dials out" and sends your details to the hacker.
    The Trojan can also FTP some code from the hacker's computer, so the
    hacker can achieve more complete control. Typical toys a hacker will
    use, would be a "keylogger", to get passwords or credit card numbers
    that you type while using the computer. So if the new computer got
    some "content" from the old computer, that would be a good way for
    the hacker to "own" the new computer.

    Coming in the "front door" of your new computer, would be more difficult.
    I presume you learned a few things about security since the last time this
    happened.

    A new computer, as a way to "escape" from what happened to you previously,
    only makes sense, if you know how your previous computer was compromised.
    If you don't know how he got in, the new computer doesn't guarantee anything.
    In that sense, you should only buy a new computer, if you have acquired
    enough tools and capabilities, to remove the virus/Trojan from the old machine.
    If you don't know what happened, or what was injected, it could happen again.

    If I wanted to get into your machine, the first piece of info I'd want
    is your email address. I'd then send you an email with an executable
    attachment, with a title of "Britney Spears Boobs". You would double
    click on the attachment, executing the Trojan horse code, and I would
    "own" your machine. That is a lot easier than port scanning your high
    speed Internet connection. To get past your virus/malware scanner,
    I'd use a home virus kit, with polymorphic packaging. The attachment
    doesn't even have to be an .exe . I could send you a .scr "screensaver".

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/polymorphic_virus.html

    Another little security lesson for you. Consider the message you just
    posted to USENET. This is what is in the header of the message you sent.
    The USENET news server you use, is free to add as much content identifying
    you, as they want. Adding this to the header of the message, makes it
    easier to trace who sent it later. (A good server, uses Xtrace and
    an encrypted text string, making it impossible for me to get the IP
    address.)

    If I was your little hacker buddy, I'd be furiously port scanning that
    IP address right now. Not too fast of course, and using randomly selected,
    but well known port numbers. We don't want your networking setup to detect
    a "SYN flood" or anything. By doing a reverse lookup on the address,
    I get a little info about you physically. Does the word "Bloor"
    mean anything to you ?

    You need to find another USENET server. If you look at the header of
    my message, there is no IP address listed. (Note - that is purely
    an accident, as the server was putting my IP address in there at one
    time. Removing the IP address was a recent improvement in their
    service.)

    If you want a newsreader, you can get Thunderbird from Mozilla.org .
    If you need a USENET news server to connect to directly,
    try "news.aioe.org". That is what I'm using. There is a limit to the
    number of text messages you can send a day, through that server.

    Once you are set up with Thunderbird, you can examine the headers of
    received messages, and see what is in them, and whether you are a
    tiny bit more secure.

    Naturally, the more Internet connected tools you use, the more
    potential information leaks and compromises are possible. If you want
    real security, it means not being connected to the Net.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 27, 2007