Internet Security - A real test

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by A, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. A

    A Guest

    My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
    disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.

    Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful message
    which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!

    At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be repaired
    and should be uninstalled and re-installed.

    We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
    Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
    uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from Norton
    and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.

    This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.

    I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
    solution.

    As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
    (uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.

    Anyone had a LU1806 ???

    A, Jun 3, 2005

  2. On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:04:33 +0000 (UTC), "A" <> wrote:

    >My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
    >disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.
    >
    >Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful message
    >which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!
    >
    >At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be repaired
    >and should be uninstalled and re-installed.
    >
    >We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
    >Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
    >uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from Norton
    >and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.
    >
    >This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.
    >
    >I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
    >solution.
    >
    >As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
    >(uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.
    >
    >Anyone had a LU1806 ???

    Google is your friend. :)

    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=lu1806&meta=

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 3, 2005

  3. A

    me Guest

    I too am sympathetic to your dilemma--I absolutely WILL NOT use nortons. It
    is simply too much of a pain--and there are MUCH better products on the
    market.

    me, Jun 5, 2005
  4. A

    Loopback Guest

    Why not call the support line or go to Symantec's web site....

    They are both excellent.

    Loopback, Jun 5, 2005
  5. A

    rainman Guest

    Loopback wrote:
    > Why not call the support line or go to Symantec's web site....
    >
    > They are both excellent.
    >

    > "A" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
    >>disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.
    >>
    >>Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful
    >>message which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!
    >>
    >>At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be
    >>repaired and should be uninstalled and re-installed.
    >>
    >>We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
    >>Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
    >>uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from
    >>Norton and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.
    >>
    >>This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.
    >>
    >>I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
    >>solution.
    >>
    >>As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
    >>(uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.
    >>
    >>Anyone had a LU1806 ???

    I only use Symantec AV corporate edition, as DoD employees get free
    copies with unlimited LiveUpdate (get free McAfee too) through a
    contract for personal use (letting you know, in case you know any
    military members you can get a copy from), but I've had some experience
    with the I.S. software. When you removed it, did you also uninstall
    LiveUpdate, and LiveReg? Many times they show up separately.

    I also have had problems with pre-installed Norton/Symantec problems. My
    problem is: none of them have ever worked... I ALWAYS have to
    uninstall/reinstall.

    Also, ZoneLabs (www.zonelabs.com) has a good free firewall that I prefer
    over Norton's called ZoneAlarm (Pro version is not free). It works great
    with Symantec Corp. Ed. if you end up going that route.

    Rainman

    rainman, Jun 5, 2005