    Can anyone suggest some good internet resources for MCSD .NET (VB)?

    I'm looking for a couple good forums, exam notes, braindumps, etc.. what
    sites helped you prepare for you exam?
    Tackie, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Tackie

    Tom Dacon Guest

    You've come to the right place. This newsgroup is the main place for
    discussion of the MCSD track itself, and the microsoft.public.dotnet.*
    newsgroups are about the best places there are for discussion of the .Net
    platform. There are quite a few web sites devoted exclusively or largely to
    ..Net. www.gotdotnet.com is a good starting point. While it's affiliated with
    Microsoft, there are many, many others. Most of the .Net-oriented sites have
    their own forums, but the microsoft.public.dotnet.* ones on this news server
    get by far the most traffic and the widest participation (and some of the
    most expert commentators, not to mention participation by members of the MS
    ..Net development teams). These discussions have been going on for years
    now - since summer of 2000, when .Net was first disclosed to the public - so
    make groups.google.com's advanced search page your friend for mining this
    resource for specific questions.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/default.asp is the starting point at
    Microsoft for certification. From that site you can get to all the
    information you need for all the certifications that Microsoft offers. The
    MSDN library is a deep repository of .Net information, so you might consider
    a MSDN subscription to give you local computer access to that resource. The
    online MSDN portal is http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/. A good place to go to
    find out how well you're prepared for the MSCD certification track is
    Microsoft's skill assessment site, http://www.msmeasureup.com/test/home.asp.

    The emphasis on this newsgroup is mastery of the platform, rather than quick
    tricks for passing the tests. When you take a Microsoft certification test,
    you sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), which binds you not to disclose
    details of the test. Very few professional people who take the tests in
    order to become certified are motivated to dilute the value of their
    certification by freely handing out what they remember of the contents of
    the tests to others who just want the ticket without learning the material.
    So don't expect people on this newsgroup to offer you braindumps.

    What the good people here will do is to guide you to specific study
    resources - the best books they've found for preparation, the best practice
    test resources, and so on, sometimes even including encouragement when
    you're down (but they also like to heap scorn on idiots and slackers, and
    they reserve their best shots for people looking for a free ride).

    So if you're serious about building your skills as a developer and getting a
    certification in the process, welcome aboard.

    If you're not, well...ready on the firing line.

    Tom Dacon
    Dacon Software Consulting

    Tom Dacon, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Tackie

    Tackie Guest

    Thanks for the information Tom. I have to admint I'm still not even sure
    what "braindumps" are but my main goal is just to get pushed in the right
    direction to continue my training.

    I've completed "What is .net" ctb ny keystone learning which has really
    helped but now I assume it's time to take on a couple more resources and
    start testing my skills.

    I'll check out getdonet.com and if you got more.. let me know.

    thanks again!

    Tackie, Oct 8, 2004