    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com
    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009

  2. OldGringo

    thanatoid Guest

    OldGringo <> wrote in
    news:s4RFl.16486$:

    > Living in a remote area with limited AM/FM radio signals, I
    > am thinking of getting an Internet Radio Receiver. I have
    > done some research and read reviews on units from the top
    > of the line to the bottom of the barrel and have concluded
    > that the Logitech Squeezebox http://xrl.in/20zo
    > will best suits my needs. The question: Any hands on
    > experience pros or cons with any of the units. I already
    > have a gangbuster sound system to hook it to.

    You can listen to radio stations from all over the world without
    any extra hardware except a cable to connect the sound card line
    output to your gangbuster sound system. Google for more info.

    Also, have you considered satellite radio?

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
    thanatoid, Apr 17, 2009

  3. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    > OldGringo <> wrote in
    >
    >> Living in a remote area with limited AM/FM radio signals, I
    >> am thinking of getting an Internet Radio Receiver. I have
    >> done some research and read reviews on units from the top
    >> of the line to the bottom of the barrel and have concluded
    >> that the Logitech Squeezebox http://xrl.in/20zo
    >> will best suits my needs. The question: Any hands on
    >> experience pros or cons with any of the units. I already
    >> have a gangbuster sound system to hook it to.

    > You can listen to radio stations from all over the world without
    > any extra hardware except a cable to connect the sound card line
    > output to your gangbuster sound system. Google for more info.
    >
    > Also, have you considered satellite radio?

    I do listen to the stations on the computer however, where I would
    like the radio and the sound system are at opposite ends of the
    house. I tried a FM transmitter connected to the computer but that
    was no good. An FM transmitter that would work is illegal without a
    license. I don't want to have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will
    probably be too much distortion. Satellite radios cost about as much
    as Internet Radios then you have to pay a monthly subscription fee.
    I use 2Wire WiFi on my PC and my laptop will connect with excellent
    signal anywhere in the house including upstairs and in the basement,
    ant that is the main reason for selecting Internet wireless radio.
    Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

    --
    Old Gringo
    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009
  4. "OldGringo" <> wrote in message
    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    > Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    >> OldGringo <> wrote in
    >>> Living in a remote area with limited AM/FM radio signals, I
    >>> am thinking of getting an Internet Radio Receiver. I have
    >>> done some research and read reviews on units from the top
    >>> of the line to the bottom of the barrel and have concluded
    >>> that the Logitech Squeezebox http://xrl.in/20zo
    >>> will best suits my needs. The question: Any hands on
    >>> experience pros or cons with any of the units. I already
    >>> have a gangbuster sound system to hook it to.

    >> You can listen to radio stations from all over the world without any
    >> extra hardware except a cable to connect the sound card line output to
    >> your gangbuster sound system. Google for more info.
    >>
    >> Also, have you considered satellite radio?
    >>

    > I do listen to the stations on the computer however, where I would like
    > the radio and the sound system are at opposite ends of the house. I tried
    > a FM transmitter connected to the computer but that was no good. An FM
    > transmitter that would work is illegal without a license. I don't want to
    > have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will probably be too much distortion.
    > Satellite radios cost about as much as Internet Radios then you have to
    > pay a monthly subscription fee.
    > I use 2Wire WiFi on my PC and my laptop will connect with excellent signal
    > anywhere in the house including upstairs and in the basement, ant that is
    > the main reason for selecting Internet wireless radio.
    > Thanks for the reply and thoughts.
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    Where are you? Satellite radio is free in Britain.
    Geoff Pearson, Apr 17, 2009
  5. OldGringo

    thanatoid Guest

    OldGringo <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > An FM transmitter that
    > would work is illegal without a license.

    Correct. Not worth the hassle.

    > I don't want to
    > have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will probably be too
    > much distortion.

    There won't be any distortion. Get Gotham cable, very good and
    not as expensive as Monster or some such rip-off. You can order
    a specific length and the appropriate Neutrik plugs (expensive
    but worth it) from a good pro electronics supply store. Almost
    anyone who has soldered a cable plug before can do the job. If
    you have no such store nearby, try Googling or go to
    www.mouser.com

    <SNIP>

    thanatoid, Apr 17, 2009
  6. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Geoff Pearson Post:
    > "OldGringo" <> wrote in message
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    >> Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    >>> OldGringo <> wrote in
    >>> You can listen to radio stations from all over the world without any
    >>> extra hardware except a cable to connect the sound card line output to
    >>> your gangbuster sound system. Google for more info.
    >>>
    >>> Also, have you considered satellite radio?
    >>>

    >> I do listen to the stations on the computer however, where I would like
    >> the radio and the sound system are at opposite ends of the house. I tried
    >> a FM transmitter connected to the computer but that was no good. An FM
    >> transmitter that would work is illegal without a license. I don't want to
    >> have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will probably be too much distortion.
    >> Satellite radios cost about as much as Internet Radios then you have to
    >> pay a monthly subscription fee.
    >> I use 2Wire WiFi on my PC and my laptop will connect with excellent signal
    >> anywhere in the house including upstairs and in the basement, ant that is
    >> the main reason for selecting Internet wireless radio.
    >> Thanks for the reply and thoughts.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    > Where are you? Satellite radio is free in Britain.

    Extrema south west Texas and it's $10 $12 dollars a month here.

    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009
  7. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The thanatoid Post:
    > OldGringo <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> An FM transmitter that
    >> would work is illegal without a license.

    > Correct. Not worth the hassle.
    >
    >> I don't want to
    >> have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will probably be too
    >> much distortion.

    > There won't be any distortion. Get Gotham cable, very good and
    > not as expensive as Monster or some such rip-off. You can order
    > a specific length and the appropriate Neutrik plugs (expensive
    > but worth it) from a good pro electronics supply store. Almost
    > anyone who has soldered a cable plug before can do the job. If
    > you have no such store nearby, try Googling or go to
    > www.mouser.com
    >
    > <SNIP>

    Thanks again for the info.

    OldGringo, Apr 17, 2009
  8. OldGringo

    catchme Guest

    OldGringo wrote:
    > Living in a remote area with limited AM/FM radio signals, I am thinking
    > of getting an Internet Radio Receiver. I have done some research and
    > read reviews on units from the top of the line to the bottom of the
    > barrel and have concluded that the Logitech Squeezebox http://xrl.in/20zo
    > will best suits my needs. The question: Any hands on experience pros or
    > cons with any of the units. I already have a gangbuster sound system to
    > hook it to.

    assuming you have a computer and you are connected to the internet, you
    therefore already have an "internet radio"; just find a station to
    listen to, on any music player (i.e. itunes) or related app.
    catchme, Apr 18, 2009
  9. OldGringo wrote:

    >>> I do listen to the stations on the computer however, where I would like
    >>> the radio and the sound system are at opposite ends of the house. I
    >>> tried
    >>> a FM transmitter connected to the computer but that was no good. An FM
    >>> transmitter that would work is illegal without a license. I don't want
    >>> to have to run 75 ft. of cable as there will probably be too much
    >>> distortion. Satellite radios cost about as much as Internet Radios then
    >>> you have to pay a monthly subscription fee.
    >>> I use 2Wire WiFi on my PC and my laptop will connect with excellent
    >>> signal anywhere in the house including upstairs and in the basement, ant
    >>> that is the main reason for selecting Internet wireless radio.
    >>> Thanks for the reply and thoughts.

    Plug the laptop earhpone out into your soundsystem line-in. Use wifi to
    connect to the internet using the other pc as a router/relay, and play your
    favorite internet stations using vlc or others, on the lap.
    >>> --
    >>> Old Gringo
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    >> Where are you? Satellite radio is free in Britain.
    >>

    > Extrema south west Texas and it's $10 $12 dollars a month here.

    What do you have to pay for - placing a dish on your roof or elsewhere?
    Most sat radios and even a lot of tv stations are unencrypted (no ci
    necessary) and can be received without additional monthly fees - the
    equipment is a one-time invest.
    What *we* here have to pay for, is a general tax-like broadcast fee -
    regardless of the means the signal is received, am/fm, sat, cable or even
    internet. But that's a "flat rate" as well.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 18, 2009
  10. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The wisdomkiller & pain Post:

    > Plug the laptop earhpone out into your soundsystem line-in. Use wifi to
    > connect to the internet using the other pc as a router/relay, and play your
    > favorite internet stations using vlc or others, on the lap.
    >>> Where are you? Satellite radio is free in Britain.
    >>>

    >> Extrema south west Texas and it's $10 $12 dollars a month here.
    >>

    > What do you have to pay for - placing a dish on your roof or elsewhere?
    > Most sat radios and even a lot of tv stations are unencrypted (no ci
    > necessary) and can be received without additional monthly fees - the
    > equipment is a one-time invest.
    > What *we* here have to pay for, is a general tax-like broadcast fee -
    > regardless of the means the signal is received, am/fm, sat, cable or even
    > internet. But that's a "flat rate" as well.

    Thanks Sat radio is only a little antenna about the size of a pack
    of cigs and sits in the window with a clear view of the southern sky.

    OldGringo, Apr 18, 2009
  11. OldGringo

    Dave Guest

    "OldGringo" <> wrote in message
    > Living in a remote area with limited AM/FM radio signals, I am thinking of
    > getting an Internet Radio Receiver. I have done some research and read
    > reviews on units from the top of the line to the bottom of the barrel and
    > have concluded that the Logitech Squeezebox http://xrl.in/20zo
    > will best suits my needs. The question: Any hands on experience pros or
    > cons with any of the units. I already have a gangbuster sound system to
    > hook it to.
    >
    > --
    > Old Gringo
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    I'm also in Texas, you can get a 1 Watt FM transmitter ( no license needed
    for transmit strength less than 2 miles) hooked up to your sound card output
    on your PC or IPod type device.
    Email me... I'll tell tell you what I have on my setup....
    Dave, Apr 19, 2009