Internet problem over Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by C Tate, May 31, 2006.

  1. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    We have a wireless network at home which has worked ok-ish until now.
    Recently it has become very unreliable. The problem is that the Internet
    connection keeps becoming extremely slow or dropping off altogether. This
    seems to happen randomly but is especially bad after turning off the PC or
    if it has gone into hibernation.

    The network itself is basic, consisting of a single Sony-Vaio PC (to which
    we had to add a wireless network card - Dlink GW650+); a router (Dlink) and
    separate modem. We have two laptops which also access the Internet via the
    network though there is not even really any file sharing.

    I have tried a huge number of things to resolve the problem, but with no
    success. For example, I have:

    - updated the driver for the network adapter
    - updated the firmware for the router
    - used spybot and adaware to remove all spyware
    - restarted and rebooted the modem and router (several hundred times!)
    - tried to 'repair' the wireless network by right clicking on the wlan icon
    at the bottom right of the monitor

    All machines have AVG anti-virus software which is up-to-date.

    Sometimes I am able to access the Internet again by logging into the router
    software and rebooting it, then doing the same with the modem. But this does
    not always work.

    I have even un-installed and re-installed the wireless network card.

    Last night, the connection dropped off again. I was unable to ping my router
    and all of the above measures didn't work either. I eventually gave up and
    when I came back sometime later, it was all working again! Today it's down
    again.

    I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Is it a problem with the modem,
    the router, the wireless card or the PC?! Any suggestions as to how to fix
    this totally annoying problem would be much appreciated.

    C Tate, May 31, 2006

  2. Hi
    Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 31, 2006

  3. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you sent
    what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off! Some brief
    details would be much appreciated.

    C Tate, May 31, 2006
  4. C Tate

    Mike G Guest

    Have you tried looking at other wireless networks in your area, determine if
    any are also broadcasting on your channel, and if so, go into your router
    setup and change the channel number.

    Mike G, May 31, 2006
  5. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    Yes, no other networks are detectable and I also changed the channel!

    C Tate, May 31, 2006
  6. Hi
    This feature (SSID) should be On.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 31, 2006
  7. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    Well I had a good look around and I can see no feature for disabling
    broadcast of the SSID so I am assuming it's not this causing the problem.

    C Tate, Jun 1, 2006
  8. C Tate

    RalfG Guest

    D-link does have options in their routers to disable and change SSID, you
    must have missed it. What model is your router? In the router configuration
    look on the Home tab, Wireless button.

    Try setting the router to use channel 1 or 11. The default channel 6 is very
    busy. My D-link adapters amost never show the wireless networks that are
    nearby but they are certainly there causing interference.

    Hybernation will kill the wireless connection and the routing metrics could
    change while the adapter is dormant. That would require repairing the
    connection, or possibly even rebooting the computer. Additionally, not all
    devices are able to recover from hybernation, or even stand-by, so it can be
    problematic to use either of them.

    P2P programs with too many connections will corrupt the router, even so far
    as to cause it to crash or spontaneously reboot. Unless you check the router
    logs you might not even be aware of it happening. Computers may not be able
    to connect to internet or LAN afterwards unless each device is rebooted.
    Safe limit is only 2 or 3 simultaneous downloads, depending however on the
    number of open connections. Routers are also targeted for denial of service
    attacks when you connect to file sharing networks.

    Your software firewalls (if any) can interfere with network connections.

    RalfG, Jun 1, 2006
  9. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    I think the hiberation/closing down is certainly the major cause of the
    problem. Unfortunately, repairing doesn't seem to repair, however. What is
    the best solution in this case? I did try changing channels to 1 some time
    ago but it didn't seem to work. But I will try that again. The router is a
    DI-614 and I'll check again for the button you mention.

    C Tate, Jun 1, 2006
  10. C Tate

    RalfG Guest

    Quick note: D-link has an online emulator for the DI-614+ configuration. It
    shows the SSID broadcast enable/disable setting is on the Advanced Tab under
    the Peformance button.

    RalfG, Jun 1, 2006
  11. C Tate

    RalfG Guest

    Y'know, at one time or another I've had all of the symptoms you described.
    The biggest PITA overall turned out to be Norton firewall, which at various
    times did everything from putting temporary blocks on my router IP and
    permanent blocks on some LAN computers and my ISP DNS servers, to blocking
    the wireless adapter from getting an IP address altogether and hanging the
    boot sequence. The workaround for the last problem (and the last straw) was
    to unplug the USB wireless adapter before booting or rebooting, but
    uninstalling Norton got rid of all those symptoms. Some versions of Norton
    antivirus have worm protection which also acts like a firewall.
    ZoneAlarm had fewer issues with the wireless but it too would occasionally
    block LAN or internet communications.. often enough to be annoying. So far
    the Windows firewall and Kerio haven't caused much if any connection trouble
    (using each on different wireless connected computers).

    Some things to try:

    In the Internet Explorer options make sure you have Connection set to an
    always-on connection via LAN and to never dial a connection. The router
    should be handling all connections through the modem to the ISP so from your
    computers' POV the internet is always there. You don't want IE to initiate
    a connection when the modem is already connected to the ISP.

    Set the router to use channel 11 or another less busy channel. You should be
    able to use any of them.

    Set your wireless adapters to connect to infrastructure networks only.

    Use XP's Wireless Zero or the D-Link WLAN utility but not both. If using
    WLAN set Wireless Zero service to manual (or disable, but then you lose the
    repair option). If using Wireless Zero find the option in the Dlink WLAN
    utility that turns itself off, or uninstall the WLAN utility.

    If your router firmware has the option you can try setting the router to
    only connect on demand to the ISP. I didn't see it in the Emulator but you
    might have a different hardware or firmware version. If present would
    normally be one of the WAN options.

    RalfG, Jun 2, 2006
  12. C Tate

    C Tate Guest

    Many thanks. I'll try the SSID setting. Thanks for finding it for me! I
    don't have Norton or Zone Alarm, only the XP firewall. Wasn't quite sure
    what you meant by the Wireless Zero utility. I may have come across this and
    just didn't know it was called that. I've been using the DLINK utility to
    change settings. Could you clarify this please? Thanks for your help. I'll
    try your suggestions and see how things go. I seem to be able to connect ok
    for a while, then things start crawling along as though all the data is
    stuck. I'm sick fed up with it to be honest!

    C Tate, Jun 2, 2006
  13. C Tate

    RalfG Guest

    Wireless Zero is a wireless networking configuration service that is built
    into XP. It runs automatically by default. It does basically the same job
    that the Dlink WLAN utility does, so you don't want them both running at the
    same time.

    In XP you can disable/enable using (Windows)Wireless Zero to manage the
    wireless connection in the Properties for the wireless connection. The
    options might not even show up there if you are already using WLAN to manage
    the wireless connection. To stop the Wireless Zero service from
    automatically loading at boot-up you need to open the Services app in
    Administrative Tools, double click on Wireless Zero Configuration and under
    the Startup type choose Manual or Disabled.

    RalfG, Jun 2, 2006
  14. "Wireless Zero Config" (WZC) is the windows xpsp2 service which controls
    wireless networking. It controls the "View Available Networks" list as well
    as other OS features related to wireless networks and wireless network
    profiles.

    There are many (Dlink, Intel, Sony, et al) utilities which may disable this
    functionality of the operating system when you install them.

    In these cases, you will have to rely on their software and support if there
    are any problems with their utilities.

    Unless there are any specific features of these tools that you rely on, many
    times you can uninstall the tools and the WZC service will be enabled again.
    As Ralf has pointed out, you will not be able to run both the vendor's tool
    and WZC at the same time. Whichever is started second will generate an error
    as the other is already controlling the hardware. Most of the time, these
    utilities just disable WZC when they are installed.

    This means though that when using one of these tools, MSFT will not be able
    to give any instructions on how to connect or fix wireless networking in
    windows. Others in this forum may be more familiar.

    Thanks.

    --
    J.P.
    [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    J.P. Stewart [MS], Jun 5, 2006