    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Dany.
    Dany P. Wu, Dec 12, 2004

  2. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05:40 +1300, "Dany P. Wu"
    <> wrote in

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
    > that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
    > Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
    > exclusive but it's worth a try.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    The best, cheapest and only really effective form of parental control of
    internet access is called "parental involvement and supervision." There
    is NO substitute.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    ....Opening the mind can open the heart. Opening the heart can open the
    mind.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Dany P. Wu

    Thor Guest

    Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05 Dany P. Wu wittered of :

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the
    > issues that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
    > Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
    > exclusive but it's worth a try.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    Put the computer in the lounge/living room rather than the kids bedroom,
    it's amazing the amount of parental control and actual parent in the same
    room has. I mean this seriously, it's costs nothing and is 100% effective.
    Thor, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05 Dany P. Wu wittered of :
    >> Hi everyone,
    >> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the
    >> issues that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
    >> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is
    >> running Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be
    >> mutually exclusive but it's worth a try.
    >> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >> Cheers,
    >> Dany.

    > Put the computer in the lounge/living room rather than the kids bedroom,
    > it's amazing the amount of parental control and actual parent in the same
    > room has. I mean this seriously, it's costs nothing and is 100% effective.

    Thanks - we've thought about this, at the end of which they would like to
    try having software as backup.

    So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages please?

    D.
    Dany P. Wu, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Dany P. Wu

    Thor Guest

    Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:00 Dany P. Wu wittered of :

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05 Dany P. Wu wittered of :
    >>> Hi everyone,
    >>> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the
    >>> issues that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
    >>> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is
    >>> running Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be
    >>> mutually exclusive but it's worth a try.
    >>> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Dany.

    >> Put the computer in the lounge/living room rather than the kids bedroom,
    >> it's amazing the amount of parental control and actual parent in the same
    >> room has. I mean this seriously, it's costs nothing and is 100%
    >> effective.

    > Thanks - we've thought about this, at the end of which they would like to
    > try having software as backup.
    >
    > So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages
    > please?
    >
    > D.

    Don't use any, have never used any...My kids have grown up with computers, I
    know more about them than they do, have made sure I do, they know I can
    crack anything they put there. They know that if they put anything there
    that I can't crack, I'll take the easy way out and wipe their hard drive,
    never had to do it for that reason but the option is there.
    Thor, Dec 12, 2004
  6. In message <>, "Dany P.
    Wu" <> wrote:

    >So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages please?

    I've never used any, but you could start here:
    <http://www.download.com/sort/3150-2162_4-0-1-3.html?li=49>
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Dany P. Wu

    Jax Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05:40 +1300, "Dany P. Wu"
    > <> wrote in
    >

    >>Hi everyone,
    >>
    >>I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
    >>that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
    >>
    >>Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
    >>Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
    >>exclusive but it's worth a try.
    >>
    >>Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    http://dansguardian.org/

    Coupled with smoothwall or Ipcop... something like that
    Jax, Dec 12, 2004
  8. > Thanks - we've thought about this, at the end of which they would like to
    > try having software as backup.
    >
    > So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages please?

    Norton Internet Security - NIS - comes with a parental control software.
    Software controlled with auto updates from Symantec, you'll also get a
    good firewall and anti virus while having the parental control.

    By the time you add Firefox with Adware you'll have a fairly robust
    option. Plus the usual auto running SpyBot, and educating the kids to
    not click on everything they see and you should be ok. Some ISP's also
    offer parental filters on email, etc.

    As an aside, trust with kids is a big thing and works both ways.
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Dec 12, 2004
  9. Dany P. Wu

    Jax Guest

    http://www.xtra.co.nz/broadband/0,,10979-3935606-300,00.html
    Jax, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Dany P. Wu

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Thanks for all the replies guys. I think they're considering ADSL some time
    soon. The idea of IPCop with Dansguardian sounds great, especially since I
    use IPCop myself! Duh! Should've thought of that too!

    Cheers,
    Dany.
    Dany P. Wu, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Dany P. Wu said the following on 12/12/2004 9:05 p.m.:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
    > that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
    > Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
    > exclusive but it's worth a try.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    The best Parental control is hardware, A big pair of sidecutters through
    the internet connection cable

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.
    Collector»NZ, Dec 14, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 14, 2004
  14. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > The best Parental control is hardware, A big pair of sidecutters through
    > the internet connection cable

    usually scissors will do, no need for side cutters. :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Dany P. Wu

    Bret Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> The best Parental control is hardware, A big pair of sidecutters
    >> through the internet connection cable

    > usually scissors will do, no need for side cutters. :)

    An axe would be more dramatic :)
    Bret, Dec 14, 2004
  17. Dany P. Wu

    Bret Guest