    I did a virus scan and nothing was found.
    thanks,
    tim

    tim, Nov 26, 2003

  2. tim

    Pepperoni Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/wouf
    (Google search)
    A lot of folks seem to have a problem with this thing.
    The following description comes from:
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/InternetOptimizer.html
    and I cannot personally vouch for the reliability of the information.

    Pepperoni

    Description
    Internet Optimizer is an error page hijacker.

    Variants
    InternetOptimizer/Iopti: unknown-server errors, page-missing errors, server
    errors and even password-required errors are redirected to Internet
    Optimizer's controlling server at www.internet-optimizer.com.

    InternetOptimizer/Nem: as Iopti, but searches are hijacked to yoogee.com (a
    search site run by the makers of InternetOptimizer).

    InternetOptimizer/Wsem: a larger version of the software, whose purpose is
    unclear.

    InternetOptimizer/Crmrest: an ActiveX downloader control for
    InternetOptimizer.

    Also known as
    DyFuCA.

    Distribution
    May be installed by MoneyTree/DyFuCA, or the Crmrest variant. The latter
    poses as a comedy or porn video from the site movies-etc.com, and when
    allowed to install may forward a mail to all contacts in your Outlook
    address book, promoting movies-etc in your name.

    What it does
    Advertising
    Yes. The 'DyFuCA Active Alert' component can open pop-up 'alerts' when
    directed by its controlling server.

    Privacy violation
    Suspected. The EULA at Internet Optimizer's web site states the software may
    send all your browsing information back to its controllers. At the time of
    writing, however, this has not been seen to happen with the current version
    of the software.

    Security issues
    Yes. Can download and execute arbitrary unsigned code from its controlling
    server, as an update feature.

    Stability problems
    Unknown; some unclear user reports of it causing crashes.

    Removal
    Check the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs feature for 'Active Alert' and
    'Internet Optimizer'. If these entries are there, using both should result
    in InternetOptimizer's correct removal. Afterwards, ensure MoneyTree/DyFuCA
    is no longer loaded.

    Manual removal
    For the Crmrest installer variant, open the Downloaded Program Files folder
    (inside the Windows folder) and remove the 'Media Manager' entry.

    For other variants, open the Windows folder. You should be able to see a
    file 'ioptiXXX.dll' (Iopti variant), 'nemXXX.dll' (Nem variant) or
    'wsemXXX.dll' (Wsem variant). The XXX differs for different versions; common
    versions are 'iopti130.dll', 'nem207.dll' and 'wsem210.dll'.

    Open the registry (click 'Start', choose 'Run' and enter 'regedit') and find
    the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    Delete the entries 'DyFuCA' and 'DyFuCA Active Alerts'.

    Now open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories),
    and enter the following commands (for the Iopti variant):

    cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u ..\iopti130.dll
    Or, for the Nem variant:

    cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u ..\nem207.dll
    Or, for the Wsem variant:

    cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u ..\wsem210.dll
    Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the DLL from the
    Windows folder, and the 'DyFuCA', 'Internet Optimizer' or 'STWSI' folder you
    may have inside Program Files. You can also delete the subkey 'FCI' in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software to clean up if
    you like.

    Links
    Avenue Media wrote and control InternetOptimizer.

    Parasite detection & information

    "tim" <> wrote in message

    > Has anybody had an issue with "internet optimizer" ? it invaded my

    internet
    > explorer and I lost the tiltle bar which has the internet address for

    searching

    Pepperoni, Nov 26, 2003

  3. tim

    Pepperoni Guest

    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100486

    Check your virus profiles using the names
    Adware-Dyfuca, App/ViewMov-A (Sophos)

    Pepperoni, Nov 26, 2003
  4. tim

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003
  5. tim

    Guest Guest

    Pepporoni,
    Thank you so much for your response. this was really a problem and I will
    use your advice,
    tim

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003
  6. tim

    Pepperoni Guest

    Any time you have an unusual problem, the best research site available (in
    my opinion) is Google. Google not only archives newsgroup messages, it has
    a very good search function. You can't always trust the opinions of
    newsgroup posters, but they often find resources and information which is
    useful--- such as hardware problems, virus aliases, and software fixes.
    http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/deja_announcement.html

    You can also post to Usenet when your server is down, and research poster
    history.

    I hope the information was helpful.

    Pepperoni, Nov 27, 2003