    My system always logs onto the internet after booting the system up.
    How can I stop it from doing that?
    I have XP.
    GerryP, Mar 9, 2005

  2. GerryP

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "GerryP" <> wrote in message
    news:OjuXd.21888$...
    > My system always logs onto the internet after booting the system up.
    > How can I stop it from doing that?
    > I have XP.

    Find out what program wants the Internet, and disable it. Frequently, it's
    an antivirus program looking for updates, or an instant messenger service,
    or your email client is set to check the mail every xx minutes, and it's
    time to check. Or it could be spyware, or a trojan, or a virus.

    If you don't already run these, then do so:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Ad-Aware SE
    SpywareBlaster
    Download each, update it, run it. Update and run each one about once a week,
    just like your anti-virus software (you *do* have anti-virus software
    installed and updated, don't you?)

    Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1
    Http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    or http://tinyurl.com/6fuq4
    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2005

  3. GerryP

    Wizard Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "GerryP" <> wrote in message
    >> My system always logs onto the internet after booting the system up.

    > your email client is set to check the mail
    > every xx minutes, and it's time to check.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! You fucktard cuntwart.
    Wizard, Mar 9, 2005
  4. GerryP

    TheBeat999 Guest

    "GerryP" <> wrote in message
    > My system always logs onto the internet after booting the system up.
    > How can I stop it from doing that?
    > I have XP.

    One or more startups or background services requires an internet connection. You can
    prevent it by setting your internet connection to never connect, in which case
    connections must be made manually. Alternatively, establish which background services
    or startups require internet connectivity and disable them.

    Use MSCONFIG to disable all non-essential startups. None are required by Windows XP,
    but some may be required by your hardware and/or software. The remainder are purely
    optional. More information can be found here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    IMPORTANT: **DO NOT** use MSCONFIG to disable services. The Disable All button must be
    one of the most lethal buttons ever conceived. Instead, use the Administrative Tools |
    Services snap-in to disable all non-essential background services. The following list
    contains my recommended settings for all the standard Windows services. Note that only
    one service is actually required to boot Windows (the remote procedure call) but the
    system will be nothing more than a glorified typewriter with no rights and a heap of
    errors.

    Essential services (recommended setting)
    Computer browser (automatic)
    Cryptography services (automatic)
    DCOM server process start (automatic)
    DHCP client (automatic)
    Event log (automatic)
    Print spooler (automatic)
    Plug & play (automatic)
    Protected storage (automatic)
    Remote procedure call (automatic)
    Security accounts manager (automatic)
    Shell hardware detection (automatic)
    System event notification (automatic)
    Windows management instrumentation (automatic)
    Workstation service (automatic)

    Non-essential services (recommended setting)
    Alerter (disabled)
    Messenger (disabled)
    Remote registry (disabled)
    Routing and remote access (disabled)
    Telnet (disabled)

    Ease-of-use services (recommended setting)
    Automatic updates (manual)
    Security centre (off)
    Themes (manual)
    Windows firewall/ICS (manual)

    Optional services (recommended setting)
    Logical disk manager (automatic)
    Server (automatic)
    System restore service (automatic)
    Telephony (manual)
    Web client (automatic)

    NOTE: the above services may be disabled if they have no dependencies (other services
    that rely on them).

    All other non-critical services (recommended setting)
    Application layer gateway service (manual)
    Application management (manual)
    Clipbook (disabled)
    COM+ event system (manual)
    COM+ system application (manual)
    Distributed link tracking client (manual)
    Distributed transaction coordinator (manual)
    DNS client (manual)
    Error reporting service (disabled)
    Help and support (manual)
    HTTP SSL (manual)
    IPsec services (manual)
    MS software shadow copy provider (manual)
    Net logon (manual)
    Netmeeting remote desktop sharing (disabled)
    Network DDE service (disabled)
    Network DDE DSDM (disabled)
    Network connections (manual)
    Network provisioning service (manual)
    Network location awareness (manual)
    NT LM security support (manual)
    Portable media serial number server (manual)
    Qos RSVP (manual)
    Remote access autoconnection management (manual)
    Remote access connection manager (manual)
    Remote desktop help session manager (manual)
    Remote procedure call locator (manual)
    Secondary logon (manual)
    SSDP discovery service (disabled)
    TCP/IP-Netbios helper (automatic)
    Terminal services (manual)
    Uninterruptible power supply (disabled)
    Universal plug & play device host (manual)
    Volume shadow copy (manual)
    Windows audio (automatic)
    Windows image acquisition (manual)
    Windows installer (manual)
    Windows time (manual)
    Wireless zero configuration (manual)

    All other services besides the above are non-Windows services, but they may be
    required by hardware and/or software. If in doubt, set them to manual.

    More information on services can be found on the following site, including a script to
    help you quickly configure Windows services to one of several preset configurations:
    http://www.ntsvcfg.de
    TheBeat999, Mar 9, 2005
  5. GerryP

    Wizard Guest

    TheBeat999 wrote:

    > IMPORTANT: **DO NOT** use MSCONFIG to disable services. The Disable
    > All button must be one of the most lethal buttons ever conceived.

    Real meaning: "I, TheBeat999, am such a fuckwitted **** that I would not
    know what advanced clean-boot troubleshooting was even if it rammed a fist
    hard up my my arse, sent shooting pains up my spine, made my hair stand on
    end, and made my gormless eyeballs loll about on my fat, blubbery jowls."
    Wizard, Mar 9, 2005
  6. GerryP

    Brian B Guest

    "Wizard" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > TheBeat999 wrote:
    >
    >> IMPORTANT: **DO NOT** use MSCONFIG to disable services. The Disable
    >> All button must be one of the most lethal buttons ever conceived.

    > Real meaning: "I, TheBeat999, am such a fuckwitted **** that I would not

    You talk a lot about cunts.. Not getting any I asume..

    > know what advanced clean-boot troubleshooting was even if it rammed a fist
    > hard up my my arse,

    Oh, in the arse now, I see..

    Brian B, Mar 9, 2005
  7. GerryP

    Wizard Guest

    Brian B wrote:

    > Oh, in the arse now, I see..

    <crosses legs>
    Wizard, Mar 9, 2005
  8. GerryP

    Gene Abner Guest

    Right click on Your IP Icon and go to properties. There is a list of options
    there. But a dot where it says, never dial a connection. Then will dial up
    unless You doubleclick the Icon to log on.

    Gene Abner, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Gene Abner, <>, the drizzling, ossiferous coxcomb, and
    maker and repairer of fans or winnowing baskets, billowed:

    > Right click on Your IP Icon and go to properties. There is a list of
    > options there.

    eh?
    Jeno Markowski, Mar 12, 2005
  10. GerryP