    A few fellow students have noticed a wireless connection on their laptops
    that say Internet Oasis (FREE). Anyone had any experience with them? Most
    like since it is an ad-hoc connection it is a scam.

    XPerienced65, Mar 13, 2009

  2. XPerienced65

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Ad hoc that YOU did not set up with your friends spells DANGER. Stay
    clear of it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 13, 2009

  3. XPerienced65

    Mike B. Guest

    XPerienced65 wrote:
    > A few fellow students have noticed a wireless connection on their
    > laptops that say Internet Oasis (FREE). Anyone had any experience
    > with them? Most like since it is an ad-hoc connection it is a scam.

    I found a reference to them being one of the "top ten active ad-hoc
    viral infections."

    <http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS230404+09-Apr-2008+MW20080409>

    "AirTight Finds Good News and Bad News for
    Wireless Security Best Practices at RSA 2008"

    In part:
    ___________________
    "RSA is one of the largest gatherings of security professionals in the
    worlds o it is surprising to still find these professionals are not
    following best practices for wireless connectivity," said David King,
    chairman and CEO of AirTight. "It appears more than one or two
    out of ten attendees is infected by viral Wi-Fi SSID, which is alarming."

    AirTight also noted that the conference has an official WiFi site called
    "rsa2008peap" but researchers spotted another unofficial site called
    "FREE-RSA-WIFI," which is a potential Honeypot that could be luring
    attendees to it.

    AirTight security researchers found attendees:
    -- Are infected with viral SSIDs (10% to 15%) and spreading them to
    others.
    -- Are using APs with out-of-the-box default configuration at either home
    or work.
    -- Are not cleaning up profiles after using hotspot Wi-Fi networks.
    -- Are unknowingly leaking their identity.

    The top ten active ad-hoc viral infections observed at RSA on the
    first day of the event were:
    -- Free Public WiFi
    -- Hpsetup
    -- Guest Internet Access