    but regardless of how I re-program that button (including writing a batch
    file that calls IE), it doesn't work. Help?

    Thanks.

    Angie, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Hmmm. How about trying this - set the batch file to call 32-bit IE, rather
    than 64-bit? See if the behaviour is more what you expect.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Angie

    John Barnes Guest

    Interesting. Mine has worked the way yours now works in both x64 and x86.
    I personally use quicklaunch most of the time.

    John Barnes, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Hello Angie,
    Look for this setting. This may be what you are looking for.
    In Internet Explorer:
    Under the Tools menu, choose Internet Options.
    Choose the advanced Tab.
    in the browsing section, look for the option to "Reuse Windows for
    Launching Shortcuts"
    I think this setting may be what you need to change.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: Internet Keyboard with XP Pro x64 quirk
    <Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:03:54 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hmmm. How about trying this - set the batch file to call 32-bit IE,
    rather
    <than 64-bit? See if the behaviour is more what you expect.
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <Angie wrote:
    <> Hi all,
    <> Just built a brand new x64 box running XP Pro x64 (Asus A8N-E, AMD x2
    <> 4400+) and everything's working fine so far with one weird thing.
    <>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 26, 2006
  5. Angie

    Angie Guest

    Thanks for the quick responsese Darrell & Charlie.

    Darrell,
    I have changed that option to not reuse (default is yes) but it didn't make
    a difference for this problem. If my focus is on an existing browser, it
    will send me back to "home" (whatever home is set to) else, it opens a new
    instance of IE. This is the default behavior on x86 also but on the x86, if
    I modify the keyboard settings via the Control Panel applet so that it "runs
    a program" instead of executing one of the built-in actions, it will fire up
    a new instance of IE. Not so for x64.

    Charlie,
    Good suggestion; I haven't tried that yet. Will give it a shot soon as I get
    home. :)

    Thanks guys.

    aK.

    Angie, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Angie

    Angie Guest

    Hi John,
    I make it behave differently on x86 by changing the key assignment to "run a
    program" instead of the built in function to start IE. Somehow, if you tell
    the key to run IEXPLORE.EXE, it will fire up a new instance of IE when you
    push that button. At least for the x86 it did.

    aK.

    Angie, Jan 26, 2006
  7. Angie

    John Barnes Guest

    You are lucky to have keyboard support in x64. It appears my keyboard is no
    longer suppported by Microsoft. At least you can click on a spot on the
    desktop if any is visible then use your web/home key.

    John Barnes, Jan 26, 2006