Internet Exploror Error

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave C., Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
    while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
    etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.

    The message in the dialog box is:

    "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    sorry for the inconvenience."

    Clicking on more information it is related to:

    "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll

    I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
    and Comcast ISP.
    Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
    recent critical update.

    I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this newsgroup.

    Hoping for some help, Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 20, 2007

  2. Dave C.

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 20, 9:59 pm, "Dave C." <> wrote:
    > I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
    > while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
    > etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.
    >
    > The message in the dialog box is:
    >
    > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    > sorry for the inconvenience."
    >
    > Clicking on more information it is related to:
    >
    > "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll
    >
    > I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
    > and Comcast ISP.
    > Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
    > recent critical update.
    >
    > I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this newsgroup.
    >
    > Hoping for some help, Dave C.

    Dump it & use Mozilla Firefox.

    sandy58, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Dave C.

    Paul Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
    > while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
    > etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.
    >

    > The message in the dialog box is:
    >
    > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    > sorry for the inconvenience."
    >
    > Clicking on more information it is related to:
    >
    > "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll
    >
    > I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
    > and Comcast ISP.
    > Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
    > recent critical update.
    >
    > I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this newsgroup.
    >
    > Hoping for some help, Dave C.

    This one has some of the same ingredients.

    "On a Windows XP SP2-based computer that has certain cumulative security updates
    for Internet Explorer installed, Internet Explorer 6 may stop responding when
    you try to visit a Web site"

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fkeskm$cs4$...

    > This one has some of the same ingredients.
    >
    > "On a Windows XP SP2-based computer that has certain cumulative security
    > updates
    > for Internet Explorer installed, Internet Explorer 6 may stop responding
    > when
    > you try to visit a Web site"
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Paul, that bulletin describes this issue fairly closely. It mentions
    that the next update probably will have the appropriate hotfix, and I think
    I will wait for it. This is only a nuisance at the present time.

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Kind dregards,

    Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 21, 2007
  5. Dave C.

    Budgie Guest

    "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    >I used to get an occassional error message (described below) once in a
    > while, but now, I get it almost every time I try go to a web site, Google,
    > etc. After trying a couple of times, then I go on line OK.
    >

    > The message in the dialog box is:
    >
    > "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    > sorry for the inconvenience."
    >
    > Clicking on more information it is related to:
    >
    > "Error signature....iexplore.exe.....ModName:urlmon.dll
    >
    > I have a five year old Dell 8300 Dimension, P-4, factory installed XP Pro
    > and Comcast ISP.
    > Critical updates are current. This seems to be more frequent since my
    > recent critical update.
    >
    > I do not have the problem when I go on to Outlook Express or this
    > newsgroup.

    If you run XP SP2 and Explorer 6, and if you've been faithfully installing
    updates, go to Add/remove programs and remove Security Update 942615.

    I did, and it now works perfectly again.

    --
    Budgie
    NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

    Budgie, Dec 21, 2007
  6. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    "Budgie" <> wrote in message

    > If you run XP SP2 and Explorer 6, and if you've been faithfully installing
    > updates, go to Add/remove programs and remove Security Update 942615.
    >
    > I did, and it now works perfectly again.

    Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates are
    current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back it up
    with ERUNT just in case.

    Regards, Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 21, 2007
  7. Dave C.

    Budgie Guest

    "Dave C." <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates are
    > current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back it up
    > with ERUNT just in case.

    It is a known problem for Microsoft.

    There is another work-around which involves modifying the registry, which is
    in the Knowledge Base - Article ID 946627 of 19 Dec 2007.

    However, deletion seems to work just as well!

    I also had to set that particular update not to download again.

    Budgie, Dec 21, 2007
  8. Dave C.

    Paul Guest

    Budgie wrote:
    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates are
    >> current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back it up
    >> with ERUNT just in case.
    >>

    > It is a known problem for Microsoft.
    >
    > There is another work-around which involves modifying the registry, which is
    > in the Knowledge Base - Article ID 946627 of 19 Dec 2007.
    >
    > However, deletion seems to work just as well!
    >
    > I also had to set that particular update not to download again.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...93-367D-4D28-80AB-2A70139AE839&displaylang=en

    946627 is a download now. Page is dated 12/20/2007. I saw this
    mentioned in reader comments on Anandtech. So instead of
    registry hacking, now there is an executable to run.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 21, 2007
  9. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fkgojr$l4h$...
    > Budgie wrote:
    >> "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the tip, Budgie. I have XP SP2, Explorer 6 and my updates
    >>> are current. I don't know if this affects the registry, but I will back
    >>> it up with ERUNT just in case.
    >>>

    >> It is a known problem for Microsoft.
    >>
    >> There is another work-around which involves modifying the registry, which
    >> is in the Knowledge Base - Article ID 946627 of 19 Dec 2007.
    >>
    >> However, deletion seems to work just as well!
    >>
    >> I also had to set that particular update not to download again.
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...93-367D-4D28-80AB-2A70139AE839&displaylang=en
    >
    > 946627 is a download now. Page is dated 12/20/2007. I saw this
    > mentioned in reader comments on Anandtech. So instead of
    > registry hacking, now there is an executable to run.
    >
    > Paul

    Paul, just ran update from the above link with total success. I am keeping
    all the information you and Budgie in a separate file for future reference.
    I suspect (and would hope) that a future Microsoft update will include this.

    Thanks for making this information quickly available.

    Dave C.

    Dave C., Dec 21, 2007