    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 25, 2007

  2. On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:50:52 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:

    > The other day I noticed that after opening IE it took a few seconds
    > after clicking on arrow to show recently visited UEL's and that it
    > was checking something online.
    >
    > Clearing the history has solved the problem, and removed
    > any evidence to examine
    >
    > Howevr, something in the MRU list must have been able to make
    > IE go online and do something without being clicked.
    >
    > Everything is updated to the current whatever, and there are
    > no suspicious things running on the machine.
    >
    > Strange - any ideas ?

    Nothing in the MRU list should prompt Internet Explorer to use an Internet
    connection, because all of the information in the MRU list should be
    cached on your hard disk--including the site icon. However, there is no
    way to be sure that it wasn't programmed to do that; nobody can check to
    see for sure.

    Without the ability to look at it any further, though, anything is really
    nothing more than speculation.

    Is there any reason that you cannot use Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/
    for download)? It is free, community-supported, frequently updated, and
    not subject to the same insecurities as Internet Explorer. Of course, no
    piece of Internet software is absolutely "safe"--nothing on a network is.
    But at least there are people out there that actually know what it is
    doing, because it's open.

    -- Mike

    Michael B. Trausch, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:03:21 -0500, "Michael B. Trausch"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:50:52 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:
    >>
    >> The other day I noticed that after opening IE it took a few seconds
    >> after clicking on arrow to show recently visited UEL's and that it
    >> was checking something online.
    >>
    >> Clearing the history has solved the problem, and removed
    >> any evidence to examine
    >>
    >> Howevr, something in the MRU list must have been able to make
    >> IE go online and do something without being clicked.
    >>
    >> Everything is updated to the current whatever, and there are
    >> no suspicious things running on the machine.
    >>
    >> Strange - any ideas ?
    >>

    >Nothing in the MRU list should prompt Internet Explorer to use an Internet
    >connection, because all of the information in the MRU list should be
    >cached on your hard disk--including the site icon. However, there is no
    >way to be sure that it wasn't programmed to do that; nobody can check to
    >see for sure.
    >
    >Without the ability to look at it any further, though, anything is really
    >nothing more than speculation.
    >
    >Is there any reason that you cannot use Firefox

    I do use Firefox too, but for some purposes IE is
    necessary.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com