    would be deeply appreciated.
    thanks, foghat
    , Dec 25, 2004

  2. Guest

    that's an excellent idea, the only problem is I'm working with two
    computers. this one i'm using now connects to netscape, so i'm able to
    post my problem. however downloading ie6 to this one is pointless. I
    really need to be able to connect on the other one. any other ideas or
    suggestions?
    foghat
    , Dec 25, 2004

  3. Old Gringo Guest

    wrote:
    > This is my problem: if i dial up with the netscape dialer, I connect and
    > evrythings ok, if I then try to bring up ie5 all I get is an unconnected
    > page, exactly like the one that comes up if you aren't connected. all of
    > this is a result of a harddrive crash and replacing it, reloading
    > windows 98se and try to resume internet activity. I've check all the
    > setting I can think of, but nothing seems to work. Any help with this
    > would be deeply appreciated.
    > thanks, foghat

    First thing I would do is use the Netscape connection and download
    the latest version of IE then do a windows update. IE 6 will detect
    the setting.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Old Gringo George

    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Old Gringo Guest

    wrote:
    > that's an excellent idea, the only problem is I'm working with two
    > computers. this one i'm using now connects to netscape, so i'm able to
    > post my problem. however downloading ie6 to this one is pointless. I
    > really need to be able to connect on the other one. any other ideas or
    > suggestions?
    > foghat

    :) Good Luck

    Old Gringo, Dec 25, 2004
  5. Guest

    to clear this up i'm using two computers. my old one, which i'm using
    right now, has netscape and using the dialer for it i can connect to
    either netscape or ie.
    the other computer has the same dialer and it connects, but ie is a dead
    progrm. i can also use dial-up networking to make a connection, plus i
    even used ie's wizard to set up it's dialer.the result is the same,no ie
    workie! my isp is attglobal,net and i've called them repeatedly, they
    make a suggestion on changing something, i try it, it doesn't work. so
    that's where i am right now
    thanks, foghat
    , Dec 26, 2004
  6. Tony Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > that's an excellent idea, the only problem is I'm working with two
    > computers. this one i'm using now connects to netscape, so i'm able to
    > post my problem. however downloading ie6 to this one is pointless. I
    > really need to be able to connect on the other one. any other ideas or
    > suggestions?
    > foghat

    I'm getting a bit confused here. First you say you can connect by using
    netscape now you are saying that you can only connect through Netscape using
    a different PC? Will the other one connect at all?

    If you click on the internet connection in Dial Up Networking, does it dial
    out and connect?
    Tony, Dec 26, 2004
  7. Old Gringo Guest

    wrote:
    > to clear this up i'm using two computers. my old one, which i'm using
    > right now, has netscape and using the dialer for it i can connect to
    > either netscape or ie.
    > the other computer has the same dialer and it connects, but ie is a dead
    > progrm. i can also use dial-up networking to make a connection, plus i
    > even used ie's wizard to set up it's dialer.the result is the same,no ie
    > workie! my isp is attglobal,net and i've called them repeatedly, they
    > make a suggestion on changing something, i try it, it doesn't work. so
    > that's where i am right now
    > thanks, foghat

    If you are connecting via the dialup and see the icon that you are
    connected, open IE and type http://www.attglobal.net in the address
    bar and tell me what happens in detail.

    Old Gringo, Dec 26, 2004
  8. Tony Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > to clear this up i'm using two computers. my old one, which i'm using
    > right now, has netscape and using the dialer for it i can connect to
    > either netscape or ie.
    > the other computer has the same dialer and it connects, but ie is a dead
    > progrm. i can also use dial-up networking to make a connection, plus i
    > even used ie's wizard to set up it's dialer.the result is the same,no ie
    > workie! my isp is attglobal,net and i've called them repeatedly, they
    > make a suggestion on changing something, i try it, it doesn't work. so
    > that's where i am right now
    > thanks, foghat

    Are the two PC's networked? Its ages since I've dabbled with W98 but I
    vaguely recall a problem with networking that would cause a problem with
    connecting to the internet. Other things that may be causing a problem are
    a corrupt dial up or TCP/Ip file. Have you tried deleting the dial up and
    all networking TCP/IP protocols then reinstalling? Get the internet working
    before adding any networking - remove NIC as well (or if onboard disable in
    BIOS) so when you reinstall, it installs the internet first.
    Tony, Dec 26, 2004
  9. mAineAc Guest

    wrote:
    > This is my problem: if i dial up with the netscape dialer, I connect and
    > evrythings ok, if I then try to bring up ie5 all I get is an unconnected
    > page, exactly like the one that comes up if you aren't connected. all of
    > this is a result of a harddrive crash and replacing it, reloading
    > windows 98se and try to resume internet activity. I've check all the
    > setting I can think of, but nothing seems to work. Any help with this
    > would be deeply appreciated.
    > thanks, foghat

    This page tells you how to troubleshoot this issue:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241344

    mAineAc
    mAineAc, Dec 26, 2004
  10. Guest

    No the computers aren't networked. Just independent stand-alones. They
    are virtually identical. Same operating system, dialer sofware, etc..
    And yes I have removed and reinstalled dialer twice, but I still get the
    same results. Another thing is that on the computer that won't load, I
    have IE5 and a browser that I downloaded at work. Just a plain jane type
    and I get the same results on it. So maybe it's not IE after all. I'm
    going to compare settings on both systems and see if I can see something
    different.
    foghat
    , Dec 26, 2004