    delete. All other pages close normally including Outlook Express. Anyone
    have any ideas please.

    Alan
    Alan, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Alan

    Jerry G. Guest

    Have you checked out your system with Spybot, CWshredder, and Ad-Aware
    lately? Have you scanned your system with an up to date virus scanner?

    You may have something running in the background. There are many viruses,
    adware and spyware programs going around form various sites, that do all
    kinds of non-standard things to user's computers. We had a number of clients
    with very weird problems lately from some of these Trojan type programs that
    got in to their systems. We were never able to really determine how these
    got in. Our suspicion is that they came from various web pages, and maybe
    some emails.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the
    top right hand corner as usual. When I try, I get a beep sound and it won't
    close down. The only way I can close it down is by pressing control, alt and

    Jerry G., Apr 21, 2004

  3. Alan

    Plato Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the

    IE can be a pain in the arse.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Jerry

    I've scanned with everything you suggested with all software showing no
    viruses etc, but I continue to have the same problems. I would appreciate
    any further suggestion you or anyone else on the list can offer. Would a
    system restore fix this as my PC was working fine the day befor yesterday?

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Plato

    Thanks for the link, but my inexperience won't allow me to make use of it
    unless you can point me to where I should be looking, specifically, sorry.
    Can you advise me what I should be looking at and what I need to do please.

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Jerry & Plato,

    I thought you and others would find the following of some help, perhaps now
    or in the future. It solved my Internet Explorer not closing problem and
    made very interesting reading too.
    I will follow up with the address but for now the following was my solution.

    Alan.
    FIX IT HERE: unable to close the internet explorer window in win xp
    Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 4:59 pm
    Posted by ssammy (1 messages posted)
    FIX IT LIKE THIS: I wrestled with this for sometime before I finally figured
    it out -- adware and spyware, folks. Yep. I thought I had it when I finally
    got rid of a recent Windows Update to "Windows Updater" and I was seeing
    some success, and then when I updated it again, no go! #$%^ After removing
    many many updates on my client's pc, and then finally resorting to a full
    rebuild with W2KSP4 [after getting trashy with it, so I felt sure I would
    "overcome" ;^P ]... now way. OKAY... finally discovered it was a "BHO", or
    Browser Helper Object... and actually I found out the guy had about four of
    'em in there, from porno sites and such. SO HERE's THE DEAL: 1. Download
    BHODemon here: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm ...and try
    that on for size ;^) THEN, 2. Download and scan, etc, with Lavasofts Adaware
    (get it here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com ) and weed out and quarantine those
    pesky little demons... 3. Download and Run: SpywareBlaster.. get it here:
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/spywareblaster.html ...and don't forget to
    check out their very super-chilled site, and thank them... those guys have
    worked hard over the years (good people!). Alrighty... just had to do this
    because I spent so much time... and for what? Should've known better. What
    got me is you cannot find those processes running anywhere in task managers,
    cannot see 'em anywhere in your browser environment, cannot detect them with
    standard personal firewall software so you cannot tell they are busy doing
    their thing that way, and you will not overtly know how to find this stuff
    in the registry... its just really stealthy "gotcha-ware", and it just gets
    in. Hope this helps. I'm curious... I'd like to know how you do... send me a
    quicky email or something. Thank you SpyChecker, and you other adrioit
    thinking cool folks who helped ;^) Cheers, Twohawks

    Alan, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Alan

    Alan Guest

    The link as promised.

    Alan

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1052437765

    Alan, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Alan

    Dono86

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Fixed - orphan process

    I stumbled on this thread when I had the same issue with IE9 not wanting to close on the X and making a 'DING' sound instead.

    I went through all the regular anti-adware/viruse programs which seemed redundent because my system is always secured.

    What it turned out to be was there was an instance of IE stuck running in task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) found a large running iexplorer.exe process (~250,000k) closed it, no more problems.

    Simple reboot could have fixed it too x-p
    Dono86, Jul 6, 2011