    to Mozilla, Firefox and Opera in security ( e.g., the recent exploit on
    IIS servers ). My cpu repair business friend swears that it was the IT
    managers' fault that that exploit occurred. Am I missing something ?

    steve h., Jul 3, 2004

  2. Re: Internet Explorer vs. Mozilla, Firefox, Opera security...what'sthe truth ?

    steve h. wrote:
    > OK, I thought from reading the net I knew the truth: that IE is inferior
    > to Mozilla, Firefox and Opera in security ( e.g., the recent exploit on
    > IIS servers ). My cpu repair business friend swears that it was the IT
    > managers' fault that that exploit occurred. Am I missing something ?

    There's something known as "security by obscurity." Basically this
    applies to various mail applications, operating systems, browsers, etc.
    Microsoft (M$) is the "big boy" on the block in most homes simply due
    to shear marketing force. It stands to reason that attackers will seek
    to break that which can cause the most damage. It's true that M$ has
    many known security flaws in their software and they continually release
    patches to meet those threats. It's also true that other software
    vendors have security holes that go unchecked until the next version
    simply because no one is bothering to exploit said holes - or shall I
    say there aren't enough people using the software to make it worthwhile
    to exploit the holes.

    I said "etc." above because it isn't just limited to the software run on
    computers. Take a look at
    http://informationweek.securitypipeline.com/news/18902528 and learn more
    about the "big name" in routing equipment and their recent flaws.

    Later,
    Doc S.

    Dr. Strangelove, Jul 3, 2004

  3. steve h.

    Boomer Guest

    http://www.us-cert.gov/current/current_activity.html

    Boomer, Jul 3, 2004
  4. steve h.

    Steve H. Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "steve h." <> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, I thought from reading the net I knew the truth: that IE is
    >> inferior to Mozilla, Firefox and Opera in security ( e.g., the
    >> recent exploit on IIS servers ). My cpu repair business friend
    >> swears that it was the IT managers' fault that that exploit
    >> occurred. Am I missing something ?

    > http://www.us-cert.gov/current/current_activity.html

    so is it my understanding that if all those compromised IIS servers been
    properly patched with the latest MS security patches, that this exploit
    would have never happened ? I know that IE had that vulnerability in it.

    Steve H., Jul 3, 2004
  5. steve h.

    Max Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer vs. Mozilla, Firefox, Opera security...what's the truth ?

    In article <6SpFc.15778$>, steve h.
    <> wrote:

    > OK, I thought from reading the net I knew the truth: that IE is inferior
    > to Mozilla, Firefox and Opera in security ( e.g., the recent exploit on
    > IIS servers ). My cpu repair business friend swears that it was the IT
    > managers' fault that that exploit occurred. Am I missing something ?

    Most of the danger seems to be in ActiveX components. If that is true,
    then IE is more dangerous, but others also need to have ActiveX
    features disabled. That will probably be easier and more consistent in
    a non-Microsoft browser.

    If it was the fault of IT managers, it's the fault of many hundreds of
    them. These are not minor infrequent problems; they are about
    widespread dangers hidden in messages, in server software, and in web
    sites.

    So once again, what is the simplest answer? That ActiveX is a bad idea
    that should be disabled, or that administrators, browser publishers,
    web sites and hosts, server packages, and all of those users are all at
    fault for not being diligent enough?

    Max, Jul 3, 2004