Internet Explorer temp files...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jim Seavey, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Jim Seavey

    Jim Seavey Guest

    Hi,

    I don't know if this is appropriate for this list or not.

    How can I remove ALL of the temp files that IE creates? I have tried to
    do so in safe mode and I am denied - I get a message telling me that
    the files are in use.

    What to do?

    Thanks,

    Jim

    --
    Remove the .spam in my E-Mail address should you want to reply by
    E-Mail.

    NorSea Odyssey
    Around The World by BMW Motorcycle
    http://www.norseaodyssey.com
    "Yeah, I have a hair stylist. His name's helmet."
    "If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed....Oh, wait,
    he does!"

    Jim Seavey, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Jim Seavey wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know if this is appropriate for this list or not.
    >
    > How can I remove ALL of the temp files that IE creates? I have tried to
    > do so in safe mode and I am denied - I get a message telling me that
    > the files are in use.
    >
    > What to do?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim

    In IE, Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files (about halfway
    down) and click Delete Files. Hope that solves it.

    Jack Underwood, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Jim Seavey

    Wolf Halton Guest

    Jack Underwood wrote:
    > Jim Seavey wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is appropriate for this list or not.
    >>
    >> How can I remove ALL of the temp files that IE creates? I have tried to
    >> do so in safe mode and I am denied - I get a message telling me that
    >> the files are in use.
    >>
    >> What to do?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    > In IE, Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files (about halfway
    > down) and click Delete Files. Hope that solves it.

    Unless IE has changed a bunch, it won't get rid of all the files.

    On the other topic, having any files in the temp directory that cannot
    be removed in safe mode sounds like it is attached to a critical core
    service or something. What version of windows are you running?

    I have found situations where certain third-party software appears to
    put Temporary Internet Files in alternative locations. My teenager has
    been downloading all sorts of cr//.. I mean "important music files"..
    and her downloader seems to put itself in a pretty emminent position on
    the PC she uses. There is a gif in her
    /Docum1~/profile/Local1~/Tempor1~/ directory with all sorts of
    attributes that cannot be deleted even in safe mode. That machine is
    running W2K.. I have been researching it in a leisurely fashion, but
    there is nothing out there on the phenomenon (so far).

    Wolf

    Wolf Halton, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Jim Seavey

    Notan Guest

    Wolf Halton wrote:

    > Jack Underwood wrote:
    > > Jim Seavey wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I don't know if this is appropriate for this list or not.
    > >>
    > >> How can I remove ALL of the temp files that IE creates? I have tried to
    > >> do so in safe mode and I am denied - I get a message telling me that
    > >> the files are in use.
    > >>
    > >> What to do?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Jim
    > >>

    > > In IE, Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files (about halfway
    > > down) and click Delete Files. Hope that solves it.

    > Unless IE has changed a bunch, it won't get rid of all the files.
    >
    > On the other topic, having any files in the temp directory that cannot
    > be removed in safe mode sounds like it is attached to a critical core
    > service or something. What version of windows are you running?
    >
    > I have found situations where certain third-party software appears to
    > put Temporary Internet Files in alternative locations. My teenager has
    > been downloading all sorts of cr//.. I mean "important music files"..
    > and her downloader seems to put itself in a pretty emminent position on
    > the PC she uses. There is a gif in her
    > /Docum1~/profile/Local1~/Tempor1~/ directory with all sorts of
    > attributes that cannot be deleted even in safe mode. That machine is
    > running W2K.. I have been researching it in a leisurely fashion, but
    > there is nothing out there on the phenomenon (so far).

    A good rule of thumb is to only erase files prior to the current date.

    Temp files are frequently used in the current session, and erasing them,
    if possible, could lead to problems.

    Notan

    Notan, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Jim Seavey

    Kenty Guest

    "Notan" <> wrote in message
    > Wolf Halton wrote:
    >>
    >> Jack Underwood wrote:

    >> > In IE, Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files (about halfway
    >> > down) and click Delete Files. Hope that solves it.

    >> Unless IE has changed a bunch, it won't get rid of all the files.
    >>
    >> On the other topic, having any files in the temp directory that cannot
    >> be removed in safe mode sounds like it is attached to a critical core
    >> service or something. What version of windows are you running?
    >>
    >> I have found situations where certain third-party software appears to
    >> put Temporary Internet Files in alternative locations. My teenager has
    >> been downloading all sorts of cr//.. I mean "important music files"..
    >> and her downloader seems to put itself in a pretty emminent position on
    >> the PC she uses. There is a gif in her
    >> /Docum1~/profile/Local1~/Tempor1~/ directory with all sorts of
    >> attributes that cannot be deleted even in safe mode. That machine is
    >> running W2K.. I have been researching it in a leisurely fashion, but
    >> there is nothing out there on the phenomenon (so far).

    > A good rule of thumb is to only erase files prior to the current date.
    >
    > Temp files are frequently used in the current session, and erasing them,
    > if possible, could lead to problems.
    >
    > Notan

    download and run ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com , it's free and finds and
    delestes all these

    Kenty, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Jim Seavey

    Ken Ward Guest

    On 11 Jul 2005 17:49:32 GMT, "Jim Seavey"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I don't know if this is appropriate for this list or not.
    >
    >How can I remove ALL of the temp files that IE creates? I have tried to
    >do so in safe mode and I am denied - I get a message telling me that
    >the files are in use.
    >
    >What to do?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jim

    I find that Process Explorer www.sysinternals.com gives me the
    capacity to see what processes are keeping files open. You can kill
    many of these processes freeing up the files for deletion. Generally,
    temp files used by ie are also used by explorer which is your desktop.

    Steps
    Open a DOS prompt (you can't delete some of these files from Windows)
    Kill the relevent processes in Process Explorer
    Delete the files in the DOS Window [I have a bat file which deletes
    *.dat & *.txt in all the Temp directories]
    Use Process Explorer to restart things like explorer.exe.
    (Defrag the disk.)

    Ken Ward, Jul 14, 2005