    is obsolete and they no longer provide support for it. Does anyone have any
    ideas on how to fix this problem.

    Thanks, Anthony

    MrAVenez, Apr 25, 2004

  2. MrAVenez

    mark mandel Guest

    "MrAVenez" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm have a computer which runs on Windows 95 and I'm having trouble with

    my
    > internet explorer. Last night, for some reason, the internet explorer

    stopped
    > working and I can't figure out why. I have used the add/remove programs

    option
    > and I have run the automatic repair option, and still no luck. I have also
    > tried upgrading to a newer version of internet explorer but that didn't

    help
    > either. When I go to click on the internet explorer icon on my desk top,

    it
    > starts to open, and than just freezes up. I tried calling AOL for help,

    and
    > they gave me Microsofts number. The people at microsoft told me that

    Windows 95
    > is obsolete and they no longer provide support for it. Does anyone have

    any
    > ideas on how to fix this problem.
    >
    > Thanks, Anthony

    There is a program called Ieradicator which does a pretty radical removal of
    I.E. which you might try, followed by an upgrade to a newer version.
    However, you might want to get others' opinions on this BEFORE doing this
    just in case it's TOO radical an approach.

    mark mandel, Apr 25, 2004

  3. MrAVenez

    Jerry G. Guest

    From the information you are giving, there is not much that someone can work
    on. It is like saying my car stopped. What is it? There are probably
    several thousand combinations of events that can cause a software to freeze.
    These machines are fairly complex.

    I would be very curious to know why you would still be working on 95
    considering all the problems and especialy the security issues???

    If this is a machine that you use for web browsing and working, I would
    strongly suggest upgrading it to Win98. Atleast with 98 you will be able to
    keep the machine more secure, and up to date for many basic applications.
    Win 98 is also a bit more stable, and offers many more features, that are
    useful.

    Here are a few things I can think of:

    Have you looked at the resources and ram available while the computer is
    running? If the resources are low, check to see all that is running in the
    background, or as resident softwares. Also, check to see that the Internet
    temp files that are not required are cleaned up. I have seen systems not run
    IE if there were too many or corrupt temp files. You should have at least
    30% to 40% available resources to have reliability.

    It is important to see if there is adequate hard disk space available on the
    drive to run the system. Usually we recomend a minimum of about 300 mb
    available as free space on these older machines with a 2 to 4 GB drive.

    Take an evaluation of any of the softwares you installed lately on your
    computer just before this problem occured. Uninstall any suspect ones.

    Below is a solution for a common problem in Win 95 and 98 that caused IE to
    hang at times.

    Defining Wins Resolution Mode:

    Doubleclick on My Computer, doubleclick on Control Panel, doubleclick on
    Network, Doublclick on TCP/IP, and now Click on WINS Configuration.
    Look and see that there is a selection on Disable WINS Resolution.
    Sometimes when Win98/95 installs IE, this does not get automaticaly
    selected. If this is not selected, then the configuration is not defined,
    and randomly this can cause the machine to lockup, or IE to stop
    functioning.

    If you have a Resolution number assigned, then you must have the Enable
    below it to be active. This is not usualy the case for normal use.

    If this does not do the job, then a more detailed investigation of the
    problem would be required.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG