Internet Explorer Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Matty, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Matty

    Matty Guest

    Apologies for the X Post but I really need some help on this: Please scroll
    down and any thoughts please let me know!!

    "Matty" <> wrote in message

    > "harold" <> wrote in message
    > > Matty wrote:
    > > > Hi all
    > > >
    > > > A neighbours PC (PIII 500Mhz, 128MB Ram, Win98, Freeserve ISP),
    > > > internet connection is seriously playing up.
    > > >
    > > > The saga goes a friend of this neighbour tried to install a software
    > > > firewall, (I have no idea which..... maybe McAfee) but all went to
    > > > poop and the thing failed to boot normally afterwards. The friend
    > > > uninstalled the software, and got the PC to boot, now he is
    > > > unavailable!! But now when double clicking the IE icon, the freeserve
    > > > make a new connection wizard appears, (white with connect or cancel
    > > > links). When I click connect, the thing dials 0845 0796699, tells me
    > > > I am entering a secure zone so I click OK, then all I get is the page
    > > > unavailable page!! (Full screen and it needs ALT F4 to close it!)
    > > >
    > > > Now, if I click the freeserve icon, or the OE icon, either from the
    > > > desktop or C:/ProgramFiles, the same thing happens. However, clicking
    > > > through Dial Up Networking, the connection works fine, although
    > > > obviously I am unable to view any web pages, because as soon as I
    > > > start IE the freeserve connection wizard starts again!!
    > > >
    > > > I have uninstalled DUN and TCP/IP, but the same thing happens. When I
    > > > tried to make a new connection through IE properties, the PC dialled
    > > > the referral number, then connected, told me it was looking for the
    > > > available ISPs, then told me it failed to make a connection. I had no
    > > > progress on the progress bar for this point.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any clues how to cure this snag?? All I can see now
    > > > is reinstall windows. He is backing up now, for us to do at the
    > > > weekend, but I would appreciate an easier option.

    > > You could try going to :
    > > "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and deleting the "Signup" folder

    and
    > > "Welcome" file.
    > > See:
    > > http://www.ufaq.fsnet.co.uk/ and scroll down to "Miscellaneous Freeserve
    > > problems/stuck in the signup procedure"
    > > Certainly worth trying before re-installing!!!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > harold
    > >

    > Thats a great link
    >
    > Very many thanks..I will give that a go.
    >
    > Matty

    OK Did give it a go and I can now connect thanks very much.. BUT...

    Every web address I type in gives the Page Cannot be Found screen, and
    dnserror.htm at the bottom.

    I tried reinstalling DUN via the control panel, windows setup, and created a
    new connection, with no effect.

    I also tried to go through the windows wizard for setting up a connection
    but to no avail, as it says connected then where the status bar should go
    across, it then says connection could not be made.

    I have searched the microsoft knowedge base and found this,

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293402

    and this,

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;219004

    Any thoughts before I tackle it again tomorrow???

    Many thanks in advance

    Matty

    Matty, Sep 5, 2003