    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 20, 2005

  2. "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >I have a problem with Internet Explorer. It's to do with the company's
    > philosophical ... just kidding. This one's a technical problem. IE6
    > Service Pack 2 works with https, ftp, just not http. Sits there,
    > hangs. Does nothing. Tried reinstalling to no avail. I refuse to
    > reinstall the *whole* operating system just to fix the browser, so I
    > don't mind switching to Firefox permanantly, but IE's nice. I like it.
    > Any ideas/suggestions?
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    Hi Waylon,
    If this happened after installing Windows XP SP2 then please give Microsoft
    Services a call on 0800 800-004 and log a support call with them.
    SP2-related installation glitches like this are supported free-of-charge.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Waylon Kenning

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:01:34 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >I have a problem with Internet Explorer. It's to do with the company's
    >philosophical ... just kidding. This one's a technical problem. IE6
    >Service Pack 2 works with https, ftp, just not http. Sits there,
    >hangs. Does nothing. Tried reinstalling to no avail. I refuse to
    >reinstall the *whole* operating system just to fix the browser, so I
    >don't mind switching to Firefox permanantly, but IE's nice. I like it.
    >Any ideas/suggestions?

    Tried Firefox yet?

    GraB, Sep 20, 2005
  4. T'was the Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:10:45 +1200 when I remembered GraB
    <> saying something like this:

    >I refuse to
    >>reinstall the *whole* operating system just to fix the browser, so I
    >>don't mind switching to Firefox permanantly, but IE's nice. I like it.
    >>Any ideas/suggestions?

    >Tried Firefox yet?

    Yup, just the fiance's comfortable with IE6 and doesn't want to push
    the envelope as much as say, myself:) Tabbed browsing, integrated
    google search, mouse gestures, ad blocking, it's awesome. Not as
    nicely integrated as IE with Windows yet though.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Waylon Kenning

    Harry Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > I have a problem with Internet Explorer. It's to do with the company's
    > philosophical ... just kidding. This one's a technical problem. IE6
    > Service Pack 2 works with https, ftp, just not http. Sits there,
    > hangs. Does nothing. Tried reinstalling to no avail. I refuse to
    > reinstall the *whole* operating system just to fix the browser, so I
    > don't mind switching to Firefox permanantly, but IE's nice. I like it.
    > Any ideas/suggestions?
    > --

    Check your firewall.

    Harry, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Harry wrote:
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >

    >>I have a problem with Internet Explorer. It's to do with the company's
    >>philosophical ... just kidding. This one's a technical problem. IE6
    >>Service Pack 2 works with https, ftp, just not http. Sits there,
    >>hangs. Does nothing. Tried reinstalling to no avail. I refuse to
    >>reinstall the *whole* operating system just to fix the browser, so I
    >>don't mind switching to Firefox permanantly, but IE's nice. I like it.
    >>Any ideas/suggestions?
    >>--

    > Check your firewall.

    and the proxy server settings

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 20, 2005
  7. T'was the Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:24:00 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    <> saying something like this:

    >Check your firewall.

    No problems, http works through Firefox.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 20, 2005
  8. T'was the Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:45:18 +1200 when I remembered Nathan
    Mercer <> saying something like this:

    >> Check your firewall.

    >and the proxy server settings

    None, no settings. What I'll do is reinstall service pack 2, and if it
    still doesn't work, I give up.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 20, 2005
  9. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:45:18 +1200 when I remembered Nathan
    > Mercer <> saying something like this:
    >

    >>>Check your firewall.

    >>and the proxy server settings

    > None, no settings. What I'll do is reinstall service pack 2, and if it
    > still doesn't work, I give up.

    Waylon, try IE7 beta1 - its runs on XPSP2 too, its available from the
    download location when you signed up for the Vista beta

    CHeers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Waylon Kenning

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:35:19 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >T'was the Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:24:00 +1000 when I remembered Harry
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Check your firewall.

    >No problems, http works through Firefox.

    What firewall are you running? Some firewalls - like my (insert rude
    comment here) Norton PFW are *application specific*. If the exe
    changes in any way (ie. via an update) I sometimes have to manually
    tell PFW to re-make the rule.

    Adam.

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Waylon Kenning

    pclogger Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > I have a problem with Internet Explorer. IE6
    > Service Pack 2 works with https, ftp, just not http. Sits there,
    > hangs. Does nothing.

    If https is working, then port 443 is ok. http uses port 80 (but you
    have already said that firefox is working). But I would expect that IE
    would eventually timeout and give you an error. Are you sure there is
    no timeout error?

    One more test for the road; run these on the DOS prompt although I can
    guess that they will both work fine.

    ping www.google.com
    telnet www.google.com 80

    Looks more likely that you have an incorrect or stuffed protocol
    handler? Did you check your hijackthis log?

    pclogger, Sep 21, 2005
  12. T'was the 21 Sep 2005 05:11:56 -0700 when I remembered "pclogger"
    <> saying something like this:

    >ping www.google.com
    >telnet www.google.com 80
    >
    >Looks more likely that you have an incorrect or stuffed protocol
    >handler? Did you check your hijackthis log?

    They both work fine. It's a weird problem, IE just sits there like
    it's trying to load something, i.e. the little window icon in the top
    right corner moves, just it doesn't attempt to access the network to
    load something, that's why I'm thinking it's an IE fault.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 21, 2005