    --
    REMOVE BOLTS to reply
    Victoria Concordia Crescit

    KerplunKuK, Jun 24, 2004

  2. KerplunKuK

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:56:20 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a problem when I use internet explorer. I will just first state I am
    >using Win XP, have all updates, no viruses, and no spyware. Today images
    >stopped appearing on my webpages and words in [ad-here] started to appear.
    >When I proceed to use IE, all of a sudden my PC shuts down. No warning, or
    >anything. Prior to this problem the PC was running fine, and I have not
    >changed any hardware or software.
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    to open the Startup and Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
    failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).

    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    As for the IE problem:
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options
    Click the "General" tab, Under "Temporary Internet Files", click the "Delete
    Files" button, check the box, "Delete all offline content", "OK". After it
    finishes, click the "Settings" button and lower the amount of disk space to
    use to 20 Meg. Click "OK", "Apply". That will increase your hard drive
    space by how much was in that folder. I've seen it well over a gig. Folders
    that big are prone to crosslinked files. Clear it weekly, or sooner,
    especially if IE starts acting funny.

    Also click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Security", and check the box,
    "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed", click
    "Apply", "OK"

    How Internet Explorer Cache Settings Affect Web Browsing
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263070

    Unk, Jun 24, 2004

  3. KerplunKuK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:56:20 +0100, in
    <>
    KerplunKuK scrawled:

    >I have a problem when I use internet explorer. I will just first state I am
    >using Win XP, have all updates, no viruses, and no spyware. Today images
    >stopped appearing on my webpages and words in [ad-here] started to appear.
    >When I proceed to use IE, all of a sudden my PC shuts down. No warning, or
    >anything. Prior to this problem the PC was running fine, and I have not
    >changed any hardware or software.
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2004
  4. KerplunKuK

    KerplunKuK Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:56:20 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a problem when I use internet explorer. I will just first state I

    am
    > >using Win XP, have all updates, no viruses, and no spyware. Today images
    > >stopped appearing on my webpages and words in [ad-here] started to

    appear.
    > >When I proceed to use IE, all of a sudden my PC shuts down. No warning,

    or
    > >anything. Prior to this problem the PC was running fine, and I have not
    > >changed any hardware or software.
    > >Any ideas?
    > >
    > >Thanks

    > Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"
    >
    > Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    > Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    > sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    > of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    > error record to see the details of the error.
    >
    > You can change this restart behavior if you want.
    >
    > Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
    >
    > In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    > to open the Startup and Recovery window.
    >
    > In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    > Click "Apply", "OK"
    >
    > After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
    > failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    > Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    > a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    > switch).
    >
    > But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    > as to the underlying cause of the problem.
    >

    > As for the IE problem:
    > Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options
    > Click the "General" tab, Under "Temporary Internet Files", click the

    > Files" button, check the box, "Delete all offline content", "OK". After

    it
    > finishes, click the "Settings" button and lower the amount of disk space

    > use to 20 Meg. Click "OK", "Apply". That will increase your hard drive
    > space by how much was in that folder. I've seen it well over a gig.

    Folders
    > that big are prone to crosslinked files. Clear it weekly, or sooner,
    > especially if IE starts acting funny.
    >
    > Also click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Security", and check the

    box,
    > "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed", click
    > "Apply", "OK"
    >
    > How Internet Explorer Cache Settings Affect Web Browsing
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263070

    Thanks for all that info, I'm now giving it a try.

    KerplunKuK, Jun 24, 2004
  5. KerplunKuK

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jun 24, 2004