    keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    them.

    David Butler, Sep 20, 2004

  2. David Butler

    EMB Guest

    David Butler wrote:
    > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things that
    > keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    > blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    > them.

    Use Firefox. It doesn't have the security holes in it and it blocks
    popups just fine.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Sep 20, 2004

  3. David Butler

    Stewy Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > David Butler wrote:
    >> Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things that
    >> keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    >> blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    >> them.

    > Use Firefox. It doesn't have the security holes in it and it blocks
    > popups just fine.

    I agree with EMB

    Stewy, Sep 20, 2004
  4. David Butler

    steve Guest

    David Butler wrote:

    > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things that
    > keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    > blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    > them.

    I know you want an MS IE answer......and maybe there is one...but
    seriously.....Mozilla 1.7x or Firebird 0.9x on WinXP will do what you want.

    .....and be more secure.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Sep 20, 2004
  5. David Butler

    Dorado Guest

    David Butler wrote:
    > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things
    > that keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google
    > popup blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do
    > not stop them.

    It might be that you have some spyware installed on your system. Try doing a
    scan using Spybot or similar

    Dorado, Sep 20, 2004
  6. David Butler

    MarkH Guest

    "David Butler" <> wrote in

    > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things
    > that keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google
    > popup blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do
    > not stop them.

    I suggest Mozilla (www.mozilla.org).

    Edit - preferences - Privacy & Security - Popup Windows - Tick the option
    to block unrequested popup windows.

    Internet Explorer is not good, not good at all!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Sep 20, 2004
  7. David Butler

    cobs Guest

    David Butler wrote:
    > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things that
    > keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    > blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    > them.

    Several of the AV and firewall vendors have popup blockers in their pay
    / deluxe versions.

    Switching to Mozilla xXx would help, or check:
    http://www.popuptest.com/

    Apart from a list of free blockers, they have a couple of tests to
    benchmark whatever blocker you choose.

    Another option might be to look at running a filtering proxy, like:

    http://www.webwasher.com/client/download/index.html
    I used this for a while, easy to setup, mostly effective. Old version is
    free for personal use, though I a have a vague recollection of some nagging.

    http://www.proxomitron.info/
    Now mostly dead unfortunately. Bit harder to setup, very effective.

    http://www.privoxy.org/
    Bit harder to setup. What I was using before finding I didn't really
    need it after changing browsers.

    You want to ensure that whatever you choose has the right balance
    between visible block notification, and annoyance. If you use an
    upstream filtering proxy, you may not want it running in 'iD' mode,
    where it shoots any active content just because it moved, leaving you
    with a mess to try and translate in the browser window. If you find
    you're always needing to turn it off just to check, try another one.

    HTH

    cobs, Sep 20, 2004
  8. In article <ciltcu$2m6$>, says...
    > David Butler wrote:
    > > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things that
    > > keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    > > blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    > > them.

    > Use Firefox. It doesn't have the security holes in it and it blocks
    > popups just fine.

    It rocks. Pretty much does all webpages with no hassles.
    Perfect for those people who browse Spyware/Exploit-ridden sites..
    and I find it hard to browse without tabs these days.

    wogers nemesis, Sep 20, 2004
  9. "David Butler" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things that
    > keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google popup
    > blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do not stop
    > them.

    Hi David,
    based on personal experience with regard to WinXP SP2's popup blocker (i.e.
    I don't get popups on any of my PC's) I would suggest that Dorado's
    suggestion above may be worthy of further investigation irrespective of
    which browser you choose to go with. Adaware Personal does a good job of
    finding the spyware nasties and can be downloaded from:

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Sep 20, 2004
  10. Hi there,

    EMB wrote:
    > David Butler wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things
    >> that keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google
    >> popup blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do
    >> not stop them.

    > Use Firefox. It doesn't have the security holes in it and it blocks
    > popups just fine.

    I also agree. Firefox is a good choice...

    I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    IE...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 21, 2004
  11. David Butler

    theseus Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    > whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    > reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    > IE...

    So who put it there then ?

    theseus, Sep 21, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 21 Sep
    2004 16:48:06 +1200, Chris Wilkinson <>
    says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > EMB wrote:
    > > David Butler wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi guys, how do I stop all of the annoying 'save!' and search things
    > >> that keep popping up when I use internet explorer. I have the google
    > >> popup blocker and the windows XP pop up blocker installed but they do
    > >> not stop them.

    > > Use Firefox. It doesn't have the security holes in it and it blocks
    > > popups just fine.

    > I also agree. Firefox is a good choice...
    >
    > I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    > whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    > reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    > IE...

    It's in SP2

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 21, 2004
  13. Hi there,

    theseus wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    >>whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    >>reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    >>IE...

    > So who put it there then ?

    Only in SP2, as Patrick has informed me. How many people using XP are
    actually downloading and installing SP2? I'd be curious to know the
    correct answer for this...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 22, 2004
  14. Hi there,

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 21 Sep
    > 2004 16:48:06 +1200, Chris Wilkinson <>
    > says...
    >
    >>I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    >>whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    >>reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    >>IE...

    > It's in SP2

    ....and how many of the myriads of XP users out there are actually
    downloading and installing that? Truthful answers please, not just
    speculation now...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 22, 2004
  15. David Butler

    > Hi there,
    >
    > theseus wrote:
    >> "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    >>>whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    >>>reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    >>>IE...

    >> So who put it there then ?

    > Only in SP2, as Patrick has informed me. How many people using XP are
    > actually downloading and installing SP2? I'd be curious to know the
    > correct answer for this...

    Well thats how I knew they didn't forget it.

    theseus, Sep 22, 2004
  16. David Butler

    David Butler Guest

    I've installed SP2 on three of about 15 machines that we use, it has not
    caused any problems on only one of them, one takes so long to shutdown and
    the other is being bombarded by the save! and adsl offer popups everytime
    you load IE.

    I wouldn't bother installing it to anymore. It's popblocker causes more
    popups that it stops as per the original post.

    David Butler, Sep 22, 2004
  17. David Butler

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > theseus wrote:
    >> "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I often wonder if M$ are in bed with advertisers who use popups, and
    >>> whether they get a cut from sales generated from those. Stands to
    >>> reason since they continually 'forget' to add a popup-blocker to
    >>> IE...

    >> So who put it there then ?

    > Only in SP2, as Patrick has informed me. How many people using XP are
    > actually downloading and installing SP2? I'd be curious to know the
    > correct answer for this...

    I didn't download SP2, I got one copy from MS and the another from The PC
    World. We have three machines running XP here and I've only installed it on
    the one that faces the internet. So far it doesn't seem to have broken
    anything although I only installed it last night.

    One annoyance; it has re-enabled those annoying 'speech-bubble' thingys from
    the systray and I don't remember how to disable them. Help?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2004
  18. David Butler

    David Butler Guest

    O.K. i've ditched IE and gone with mozilla, it's great

    David Butler, Sep 24, 2004