    explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    Thank you,
    Jody Vilandre
    Jody Vilandre, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Jody Vilandre

    Lyndon F Guest

    "Jody Vilandre" <> stated:

    > I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to
    > install service pack two and I have read about many problems
    > with it. I am wondering if it would just be easier to use
    > Firefox and not use Internet explorer at all. Any thoughts on
    > this?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jody Vilandre

    Found this...
    "13 Reasons To Use Firefox Over IE"
    http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=32
    Lyndon F, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Jody Vilandre

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:01:22 GMT, "Jody Vilandre" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    >service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    >wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use Internet
    >explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    I just use Mozilla (The full suite, but don't use the newsreader, yuck!). The e-mail
    spam controls are pretty good too.
    Keep IE just in case, but only use it on *very* trusted sites.
    Shel-hed, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Jody Vilandre

    WormWood Guest

    "Jody Vilandre" <> wrote in message
    |I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    | service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    | wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use
    Internet
    | explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?
    |
    | Thank you,
    | Jody Vilandre

    Go ahead and install Service Pack 2. Many of those who have trouble with
    it most likely have many other problems with their software attributable
    to a lack of maintenance on their machine and other misuse.

    I just uninstalled Mozilla after a more than fair one week testing. It
    kept losing the settings for no apparent reason and I doubt it was
    caused by SP2. I'll probably go back to Netscape 4.7 as it has been very
    good to me.
    WormWood, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Jody Vilandre

    sethra Guest

    "Jody Vilandre" <> wrote in

    > I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to
    > install service pack two and I have read about many problems with it.
    > I am wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use
    > Internet explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    Firefox can do everything IE can do provided you have it configured
    correctly or have a proper extension installed.

    Firefox also *won't*, by default, do a lot of the things that IE *will*
    do, unless you turn them off, if you're concerned about
    security/privacy.

    Regardless, I will NOT use IE unless I have to (only a couple sites I
    visit regularly are just plain broken w/o IE -- but that's noncompliant
    and bad HTML programming, not Firefox's fault, such as windowsupdate)
    without first turning javascript and activeX off, and running the damn
    thing through an HTML proxy -- The Proxomitron.

    The Russian keylogger fiasco was the last straw for me regarding IE.

    Cheers,
    ~sethra
    sethra, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Jody Vilandre

    Smoker Guest

    > I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    > service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    > wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use Internet
    > explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    You're better off waiting on SP2 until they get all the bugs out of it.
    Typically it messes with your Internet connection and settings and
    especially if you are using IE6. It's always better to wait when something
    is new in computerland. I like Firefox and use it, but there are still a few
    annoyances.
    Smoker, Sep 17, 2004
  7. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    17 Sep 2004 05:01:22 GMT, "Jody Vilandre" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    >service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    >wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use Internet
    >explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    They're both prone to security bugs. I just updated both Firefox and
    Thunderbird (the e-mail client) because of security concerns. I
    imagine there will be more to come with both browsers.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 17, 2004
  8. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    17 Sep 2004 05:30:01 GMT, Shel-hed
    <> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    >On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:01:22 GMT, "Jody Vilandre" <> wrote in
    >24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >>I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    >>service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    >>wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use Internet
    >>explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    >I just use Mozilla (The full suite, but don't use the newsreader, yuck!). The e-mail
    >spam controls are pretty good too.
    >Keep IE just in case, but only use it on *very* trusted sites.

    You better update Mozilla or Firefox because they, and the e-mail
    client has their own set of exploits. Is nothing sacred anymore?

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Jody Vilandre

    Gregg Fowler Guest

    I installed SP2 and lost my cable connection and was unable to even use back
    up dial up. Also had to reactivate XP with Microsoft. Couldn't readily find
    my network problem so rolled back to SP1 and no problems at all. I did like
    the control panel better with SP2, but I have no patience for "fixing" the
    screw ups. The maintenance on my computer is in top shape. By the way Opera
    is a nice little browser.

    Gregg

    Gregg Fowler, Sep 17, 2004
  10. Jody Vilandre

    Jamco Guest

    probably needed to disable the firewall

    Jamco, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Jody Vilandre

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Jody Vilandre" <> wrote in news:Ccu2d.599918$Gx4.583992
    @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    > service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    > wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use Internet
    > explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    We upgraded over 200 machines to SP2 and there haven't been any serious
    problems. Other browsers are becoming more popular and in turn new
    vulnerabilities are being found in them:

    The latest release of Mozilla and Firefox fixes 10 security flaws in those
    browsers:

    http://news.com.com/2102-1002_3-5368397.html?tag=st.util.print

    I anticipate more will be found soon.

    I believe you will still require IE to access WindowsUpdate.

    My advice is to find a well supported browser you like (well supported
    meaning regular updates are available), keep it up to date and locked down
    and stay away from questionable sites and links.
    Fuzzy Logic, Sep 17, 2004
  12. Jody Vilandre

    anthonyberet Guest

    > I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    > service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    > wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use Internet
    > explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?

    Firefox is great for the tabbed browsing etc, but I haven't been able to get
    it to run animated sites like flash and shockwave stuff. In these cases I
    right-click and select "view page in IE".
    This is ideal as I am now free from pop-ups, annoying ads etc.
    Go for it - but don't forget to read up on the Firefox plugins as you need
    to install the extra functionality you want.
    anthonyberet, Sep 17, 2004
  13. Lyndon F wrote:

    > "Jody Vilandre" <> stated:
    >
    >> I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to
    >> install service pack two and I have read about many problems
    >> with it. I am wondering if it would just be easier to use
    >> Firefox and not use Internet explorer at all. Any thoughts on
    >> this?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Jody Vilandre

    > Found this...
    > "13 Reasons To Use Firefox Over IE"
    > http://www.xxxxxxxxxx.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=32

    SPAM
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    www.howtofixcomputers.com.is.bogus.horseshit
    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 17, 2004
  14. Jody Vilandre

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "anthonyberet" <> wrote in

    > "Jody Vilandre" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a question, or rather, I need an opinion. It is time to install
    >> service pack two and I have read about many problems with it. I am
    >> wondering if it would just be easier to use Firefox and not use
    >> Internet explorer at all. Any thoughts on this?
    >>

    > Firefox is great for the tabbed browsing etc, but I haven't been able to
    > get it to run animated sites like flash and shockwave stuff. In these
    > cases I right-click and select "view page in IE".
    > This is ideal as I am now free from pop-ups, annoying ads etc.
    > Go for it - but don't forget to read up on the Firefox plugins as you
    > need to install the extra functionality you want.

    Take a look at Avant which is a small (<1MB) shell that uses IE and has a
    pop-up blocker, ad-blocker, tabbed browsing and much more. It's freeware and
    highly configurable:

    www.avantbrowser.com
    Fuzzy Logic, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Jody Vilandre

    Devildog Guest

    I downloaded the WinXP SP2 onto two computers a couple of weeks ago. I have
    not had any of the problems that I have heard about from it. I have been
    using Firfox for about 6 months, and I wont go back to IE unless I need to
    go to Windows Update or Microsoft Office Update. Firefox is the only way to
    go as far as browsers.

    Devildog, Sep 18, 2004