Internet Explorer IE7 hangs when I close a Tab

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bruce KAY, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. Bruce KAY

    Bruce KAY Guest

    Hi there,

    At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed del.icio.us
    plug-in the problem happens all the time.

    Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.

    I have ALL the latest Windows Update patches etc. My operating system is
    Windows XP Professional (again with ALL the Service Packs and patches)

    It means I cannot work. If I search the Internet to find something, then go
    off to look at something else whilst wanting to still keep a window open for
    the 1st page I'm bound to lose the window / tab before I come back.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,

    Bruce from Edinburgh

    Bruce KAY, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Bruce KAY wrote:

    > At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed
    > del.icio.us plug-in the problem happens all the time.

    <snip>
    > Any ideas?

    Uninstall this unidentified plugin? From your unidentified browser?

    Google for: del.icio.us plugin
    returns about 16 million hits.

    Try a different browser? http://www.opera.com/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Bruce KAY

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed
    > del.icio.us plug-in the problem happens all the time.
    >
    > Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    > browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    > process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.
    >
    > I have ALL the latest Windows Update patches etc. My operating system is
    > Windows XP Professional (again with ALL the Service Packs and patches)
    >
    > It means I cannot work. If I search the Internet to find something, then
    > go off to look at something else whilst wanting to still keep a window
    > open for the 1st page I'm bound to lose the window / tab before I come
    > back.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Your logical thing to do is get rid of the plug-in. since it seems to be the
    source of your problem when you introduced it.

    Mr. Arnold, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Bruce KAY

    Bruce KAY Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed
    >> del.icio.us plug-in the problem happens all the time.
    >>
    >> Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    >> browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    >> process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.
    >>
    >> I have ALL the latest Windows Update patches etc. My operating system is
    >> Windows XP Professional (again with ALL the Service Packs and patches)
    >>
    >> It means I cannot work. If I search the Internet to find something, then
    >> go off to look at something else whilst wanting to still keep a window
    >> open for the 1st page I'm bound to lose the window / tab before I come
    >> back.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Your logical thing to do is get rid of the plug-in. since it seems to be
    > the source of your problem when you introduced it.

    Yes, I know I could do that. I actually tested that, but the del.icio.us
    plug-in didn't introduce the problem. It just made it worse.

    besides.... I really want to use del.icio.us. :cool:

    Thanks for both your replies, and especially for not giving me the, "get rid
    of IE and change to Firefox" stuff.

    Much appreciated.
    Bruce

    Bruce KAY, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Bruce KAY

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed
    >>> del.icio.us plug-in the problem happens all the time.
    >>>
    >>> Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    >>> browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    >>> process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.
    >>>
    >>> I have ALL the latest Windows Update patches etc. My operating system is
    >>> Windows XP Professional (again with ALL the Service Packs and patches)
    >>>
    >>> It means I cannot work. If I search the Internet to find something, then
    >>> go off to look at something else whilst wanting to still keep a window
    >>> open for the 1st page I'm bound to lose the window / tab before I come
    >>> back.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Your logical thing to do is get rid of the plug-in. since it seems to be
    >> the source of your problem when you introduced it.
    >>

    > Yes, I know I could do that. I actually tested that, but the del.icio.us
    > plug-in didn't introduce the problem. It just made it worse.
    >
    > besides.... I really want to use del.icio.us. :cool:
    >
    > Thanks for both your replies, and especially for not giving me the, "get
    > rid of IE and change to Firefox" stuff.

    Maybe, you introduced another plug-in that started it.

    Mr. Arnold, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Bruce KAY

    > "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message

    >>> Your logical thing to do is get rid of the plug-in. since it seems to be
    >>> the source of your problem when you introduced it.
    >>>

    >> Yes, I know I could do that. I actually tested that, but the del.icio.us
    >> plug-in didn't introduce the problem. It just made it worse.
    >>
    >> besides.... I really want to use del.icio.us. :cool:
    >>
    >> Thanks for both your replies, and especially for not giving me the, "get
    >> rid of IE and change to Firefox" stuff.
    >>

    > Maybe, you introduced another plug-in that started it.

    I'll check that out.
    Thanks
    Bruce

    Bruce KAY, Oct 20, 2007
  7. Bruce KAY

    Bruce KAY Guest

    "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    >>> Yes, I know I could do that. I actually tested that, but the del.icio.us
    >>> plug-in didn't introduce the problem. It just made it worse.
    >>>
    >>> besides.... I really want to use del.icio.us. :cool:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for both your replies, and especially for not giving me the, "get
    >>> rid of IE and change to Firefox" stuff.
    >>>

    >> Maybe, you introduced another plug-in that started it.

    Da da! problem solved!
    I disabled the plug-ins for Skype (I never use Skype from inside my browser
    anyway.)

    I remembered that I allowed Skype to download an update a month or so ago.

    Thanks for your help
    Bruce

    Bruce KAY, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Bruce KAY

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message

    > "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bruce KAY" <> wrote in message

    >>> Maybe, you introduced another plug-in that started it.

    > Da da! problem solved!
    > I disabled the plug-ins for Skype (I never use Skype from inside my
    > browser anyway.)
    >
    > I remembered that I allowed Skype to download an update a month or so ago.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > Bruce

    You're welcomed. :)

    Mr. Arnold, Oct 20, 2007
  9. Bruce KAY

    Guest

    "Bruce KAY" <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed del.icio.us
    >plug-in the problem happens all the time.
    >
    >Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    >browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    >process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.

    Still running IE7, might be this:
    IE users beware: RealPlayer zero-day flaw under attack
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=599
    "NASA, have reportedly banned the use of Internet Explorer"
    --

    Suicide by flare gun - "I told you I was hardcore".
    www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/northernsuburbs/story/187578.html

    , Oct 20, 2007
  10. Bruce KAY

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Bruce KAY" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed
    >>del.icio.us
    >>plug-in the problem happens all the time.
    >>
    >>Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    >>browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    >>process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.

    > Still running IE7, might be this:
    > IE users beware: RealPlayer zero-day flaw under attack
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=599
    > "NASA, have reportedly banned the use of Internet Explorer"

    Did you read the tread or what? :)

    Mr. Arnold, Oct 20, 2007
  11. Bruce KAY

    Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Bruce KAY" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi there,
    >>>
    >>>At first I had an intermittent problem but now since I installed
    >>>del.icio.us
    >>>plug-in the problem happens all the time.
    >>>
    >>>Whenever I close a tab, or a browser window, or even a pop-up window my
    >>>browser hangs with a "Not Responding" message. I have to kill off the
    >>>process with Task Manager to unlock my computer.

    >> Still running IE7, might be this:
    >> IE users beware: RealPlayer zero-day flaw under attack
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=599
    >> "NASA, have reportedly banned the use of Internet Explorer"

    >Did you read the tread or what? :)

    Tried to delete it too :) set a cancel Just in case.

    He's was having problems, it could of been caused by running real
    player at sometime, it was a guess.

    As for the thread it was very informative.
    --

    The Exploding Whale
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4

    , Oct 21, 2007