    had so many popups and this website came up when I was on a baby picture
    contest website of all things! I want it gone! Please help me. TIA ...
    Nancy
    Ennc, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Ennc

    Alex B Guest

    Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and download Ad-aware. It's free, and will get
    rid of loads of stuff you don't want / probably didn't know was on your
    system. Make sure to update it after the install to make sure you have the
    latest reference file before you scan the system.

    Alex B, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Ennc

    °Mike° Guest

    Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/vx2cleaner.shtml
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/vx2cleaner.shtml
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:25:14 -0400, in
    <>
    Ennc scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Ennc

    Ennc Guest

    This has me totally shook up. If I had Netscape would this have happened to
    me?

    How can I setup Netscape on my computer for my comcast email program?

    Ennc, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Ennc

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:52:48 -0400, in
    <>
    Ennc scrawled:

    >This has me totally shook up.

    Don't let it shake you up; just use common sense, and
    good, safe hex:

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/security/general/guide/overview.htm

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    >If I had Netscape would this have happened to me?

    Netscape can be hijacked, too -- Internet Explorer is just
    more widespread, and so attracts more exploits.

    >How can I setup Netscape on my computer for my comcast
    >email program?

    I'm not a Netscape person, and I know nothing about
    Comcast, sorry.

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Download, update and use ALL of the following

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Ennc

    Alex B Guest

    You might want to consider the Opera web browser as well - www.opera.com -
    very nice bit of software (with built in news / email / pop up blocker etc).

    Alex B, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Ennc

    Ennc Guest

    Are these programs going to cost me money?

    Ennc, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Ennc

    °Mike° Guest

    No. Everything I have linked for you is either
    information or free programs.

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:58:29 -0400, in
    <>
    Ennc scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Ennc

    TechNews Guest

    Ennc wrote:

    > When I now open my Internet Explorer it comes up with a home page I never
    > elected to have on there. When I go to my "tools", "internet options", I
    > no
    > longer have the option to change my home page. It is greyed out. How can
    > fix this? The website that automatically comes up is obnoxious to me. I
    > had so many popups and this website came up when I was on a baby picture
    > contest website of all things! I want it gone! Please help me. TIA ...
    > Nancy

    Do not use IE anymore to browse the Internet.

    Instead, use Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, or Netscape.

    --
    Security:Reliability:Speed
    TechNews, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Ennc

    Boomer Guest

    "Ennc" <> wrote:

    > Are these programs going to cost me money?

    Freeware. Read the homepages on the links Mike gave you on the other
    message.

    And you might want to try Mozilla. Lot's of nice features. :)

    Boomer, Jul 8, 2004
  11. Ennc

    Ennc Guest

    Now I see that someone says the adware does not go well with cable internet.
    What other options do I have?

    Ennc, Jul 8, 2004
  12. Ennc

    Jerry G. Guest

    Download the recomendations that were given to you. If you are using ME,
    2000, or XP, you will have to turn off the recovery option before using
    these utilities.

    It is very important that you run a good virus scanner, and also do the
    security updates.

    I have used CWshredder and Ad-Aware with great success. There are free
    version offered.

    As for the Netscape browser, I have seen this one get hijacked also.

    Check this link on the MS site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/honeycutt_spyware.mspx

    Search done from this page:
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=browser hijack

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Jul 8, 2004
  13. Ennc

    Boomer Guest

    "Ennc" <> wrote:

    > Now I see that someone says the adware does not go well with
    > cable internet.

    Who said that?

    > What other options do I have?

    [snip]

    Click on both of these below. Read. Do.

    Boomer, Jul 8, 2004
  14. Ennc

    Ennc Guest

    I'm working on all of this (spybot found 502 of the pests) but still have my
    original problem of a hyjacked home page. I see what you meant by good safe
    hex ... just visited the website which is chock full of information that is
    excellent.

    Please tell me this. Is Mozilla synonymous with Netscape? I am a bit
    confused on that one.

    Nancy

    Ennc, Jul 8, 2004
  15. Ennc

    Boomer Guest

    "Ennc" <> wrote:

    > I'm working on all of this (spybot found 502 of the pests) but
    > still have my original problem of a hyjacked home page. I see
    > what you meant by good safe hex ... just visited the website
    > which is chock full of information that is excellent.
    >
    > Please tell me this. Is Mozilla synonymous with Netscape? I am
    > a bit confused on that one.

    > Nancy

    No. Go to Mozilla.org and read about Moz.
    Go to Netscape and read about their browser.

    Or at any one of their news groups.

    I love Mozilla and all its extra features.

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:52:48 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Ennc scrawled:
    >>
    >> >This has me totally shook up.

    >> Don't let it shake you up; just use common sense, and
    >> good, safe hex:

    [snip]
    Boomer, Jul 9, 2004
  16. Ennc

    Ennc Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > "Ennc" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Now I see that someone says the adware does not go well with
    > > cable internet.

    > Who said that?

    It is one of the posters on the comments of the software. There were only
    19% negative comments and the rest were good though.

    > > What other options do I have?

    > [snip]
    >
    > Click on both of these below. Read. Do.

    Workin' on it. I have a bad track record with installing things lately.
    Must be the luck o' the Irish ... or German ... or whatever. :)
    Ennc, Jul 9, 2004
  17. Ennc

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:57:30 -0400, in
    <>
    Ennc scrawled:

    >I'm working on all of this (spybot found 502 of the pests) but
    >still have my original problem of a hyjacked home page.

    SpyBot S&D has an option to lock/unlock the IE home page,
    as does SpywareBlaster. In SpyBot, choose 'Mode / Advanced'.
    Go to the Tools pane and click on 'IE Tweaks'. Uncheck
    'Lock IE start page....'

    >I see what you meant by good safe hex ... just visited the
    >website which is chock full of information that is excellent.

    Yes, it's important that you read it until it sinks in, and
    becomes second nature.

    >Please tell me this. Is Mozilla synonymous with Netscape?
    >I am a bit confused on that one.

    They are not the same, but Netscape is based on the
    same (Gecko) engine as Mozilla. Personally, I hate
    Netscape (I find it unstable), I can tollerate Mozilla
    Firefox (barely), but it doesn't suit my needs, and the
    bookmarks leave a LOT to be desired. For all of it's
    faults, I still prefere Internet Explorer, but enhanced
    with SlimBrowser (free):
    http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2004
  18. Ennc

    t gilb Guest

    > IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention

    When trying to install the "hosts" file I've downloaded in the above
    mentioned procedure to the default location: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    I get a prompt saying that a "host" file already exists there and asks if I
    want to replace it. Should I?
    t gilb, Jul 9, 2004
  19. Ennc

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:14:07 GMT, in
    <3zkHc.7378$>
    t gilb scrawled:

    >> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    >> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
    >>

    >When trying to install the "hosts" file I've downloaded in the
    >above mentioned procedure to the default location:
    >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    >I get a prompt saying that a "host" file already exists there
    >and asks if I want to replace it. Should I?

    If you never put the hosts file there yourself, then yes.
    Otherwise, open the existing one and after checking
    that it is kosher, either replace it, or copy/paste the
    contents of one into the other. If you need help with
    the existing hosts file, post the contents of it here.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2004
  20. Ennc

    TechNews Guest

    Ennc wrote:

    > When I now open my Internet Explorer it comes up with a home page I never
    > elected to have on there. When I go to my "tools", "internet options", I
    > no
    > longer have the option to change my home page. It is greyed out. How can
    > fix this? The website that automatically comes up is obnoxious to me. I
    > had so many popups and this website came up when I was on a baby picture
    > contest website of all things! I want it gone! Please help me. TIA ...
    > Nancy

    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=537951

    By Charles Arthur, Technology Editor

    ... following a stark security warning from a senior panel of internet
    experts who say it opens the door to online criminals.

    They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the
    browser because they say it is vulnerable to hackers and credit card
    fraudsters.

    Security:Reliability:Speed
    TechNews, Jul 9, 2004