Internet Explorer Error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cuanto, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Cuanto

    Cuanto Guest

    Hey All,

    I have a computer in the shop that when you click on Internet Explorer or
    any other web browser (I tried to install netscape), we get the following
    error message. "Iexplore caused a divide error in module <unknown> at
    0000:00d40d5" and we also get a "invalid page fault in module unknown"
    error messages. Here is what I have tried already, searched the MSFT KB,
    there were some articles on this, had to do with some accelerator programs,
    these were not on this computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows
    98 SE, Internet Explorer, and TCP/IP. The computer will connect to the
    internet, but when I go to a command prompt and try to ping an address, ie.
    www.yahoo.com, it comes back unknown host. I can however, ping the IP
    address. Reformatting and reloading from scratch would be my preference,
    but the customer does not want to do this and I'd like to figure out what's
    going on with it. I appreciate any and all replies!

    Sincerely,

    JMC
    Jasper Computer Repair

    www.jaspercomp.com

    Cuanto, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Cuanto

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In news:,
    Cuanto <> typed:
    > Hey All,
    >
    > I have a computer in the shop that when you click on Internet
    > Explorer or any other web browser (I tried to install netscape), we
    > get the following error message. "Iexplore caused a divide error in
    > module <unknown> at 0000:00d40d5" and we also get a "invalid page
    > fault in module unknown" error messages. Here is what I have tried
    > already, searched the MSFT KB, there were some articles on this, had
    > to do with some accelerator programs, these were not on this
    > computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows 98 SE, Internet
    > Explorer, and TCP/IP. The computer will connect to the internet, but
    > when I go to a command prompt and try to ping an address, ie.
    > www.yahoo.com, it comes back unknown host. I can however, ping the
    > IP address. Reformatting and reloading from scratch would be my
    > preference, but the customer does not want to do this and I'd like to
    > figure out what's going on with it. I appreciate any and all
    > replies!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > JMC

    If reformatting and reloading from scratch is your preference but the
    customer doesn't want that, tell him to take his machine elsewhere. Then
    you can concentrate on trying to make a profit.

    Juan Pérez, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Cuanto

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Cuanto said:

    > Hey All,
    >
    > I have a computer in the shop that when you click on Internet Explorer or
    > any other web browser (I tried to install netscape), we get the following
    > error message. "Iexplore caused a divide error in module <unknown> at
    > 0000:00d40d5" and we also get a "invalid page fault in module unknown"
    > error messages. Here is what I have tried already, searched the MSFT KB,
    > there were some articles on this, had to do with some accelerator programs,
    > these were not on this computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows
    > 98 SE, Internet Explorer, and TCP/IP. The computer will connect to the
    > internet, but when I go to a command prompt and try to ping an address, ie.
    > www.yahoo.com, it comes back unknown host. I can however, ping the IP
    > address. Reformatting and reloading from scratch would be my preference,
    > but the customer does not want to do this and I'd like to figure out what's
    > going on with it. I appreciate any and all replies!

    yahoo.com eh?
    Are you not aware of the qhosts issue?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Cuanto

    Cuanto Guest

    Yahoo was an example, I also tried other website addresses.

    Cuanto, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Cuanto

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Cuanto said:

    > Yahoo was an example, I also tried other website addresses.

    Yes, but have you checked for qhosts virus?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Cuanto

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:42:04 -0600, in
    <>
    Cuanto scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Cuanto

    Ralph Mann Guest

    °Mike° said:

    > Basic computer maintenance
    > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmaintenance.html
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Spyware Blaster
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of spamming.
    You are placing your own web site/page before other sites totally unconnected to
    you, and better suited to tackle the OP's issue(s).

    Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people know it is your
    personal page?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  8. Cuanto

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:39:37 -0000, in
    <EPTnb.3804$>
    Ralph Mann scrawled:

    >°Mike° said:
    >
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    <mutilated url restored>

    >> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware
    >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>
    >> Spyware Blaster
    >> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    >>

    >Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of
    >spamming.

    You're a funny man, Ralph, do you know that?

    >You are placing your own web site/page before other sites
    >totally unconnected to you, and better suited to tackle the OP's
    >issue(s).

    I only place my maintenance page in a reply if I think it
    is relevant to the problem posted - in this case it is.

    >Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people
    >know it is your personal page?

    Has somebody rattled your cage, Ralph?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Cuanto

    Ralph Mann Guest

    °Mike° said:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:39:37 -0000, in
    > <EPTnb.3804$>
    > Ralph Mann scrawled:
    >
    >> °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> Basic computer maintenance
    >>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmaintenance.html

    > <mutilated url restored>

    Restored url re-mutilated

    >>> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >>> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >>> http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>>
    >>> Ad-Aware
    >>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>>
    >>> Spyware Blaster
    >>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    >>>
    >>> HijackThis
    >>> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    >>>

    >> Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of
    >> spamming.

    > You're a funny man, Ralph, do you know that?

    Yes.

    >> You are placing your own web site/page before other sites
    >> totally unconnected to you, and better suited to tackle the OP's
    >> issue(s).

    > I only place my maintenance page in a reply if I think it
    > is relevant to the problem posted - in this case it is.

    But you place it as the first link to visit as if it is more important than the
    links below it.

    >> Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people
    >> know it is your personal page?

    > Has somebody rattled your cage, Ralph?

    No, I am just treating people in the same way they treat others.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  10. Cuanto

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:02:24 -0000, in
    <%8Unb.3831$>
    Ralph Mann scrawled:

    >°Mike° said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:39:37 -0000, in
    >> <EPTnb.3804$>
    >> Ralph Mann scrawled:
    >>
    >>> °Mike° said:

    <childishness snipped>

    >>> Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of
    >>> spamming.

    >> You're a funny man, Ralph, do you know that?

    >Yes.

    Snicker!

    >>> You are placing your own web site/page before other sites
    >>> totally unconnected to you, and better suited to tackle the OP's
    >>> issue(s).

    >> I only place my maintenance page in a reply if I think it
    >> is relevant to the problem posted - in this case it is.

    >But you place it as the first link to visit as if it is more important
    >than the links below it.

    I placed it as the first link because it is the first step in
    troubleshooting the problem. It has nothing to do with
    import; it has everything to do with the fact that you
    now have a bee in your bonnet.

    >>> Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people
    >>> know it is your personal page?

    >> Has somebody rattled your cage, Ralph?

    >No, I am just treating people in the same way they treat others.

    You have a bruised ego, Ralph, and it's showing.
    HAND.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Cuanto

    Ralph Mann Guest

    °Mike° said:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:02:24 -0000, in
    > <%8Unb.3831$>
    > Ralph Mann scrawled:
    >
    >> °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:39:37 -0000, in
    >>> <EPTnb.3804$>
    >>> Ralph Mann scrawled:

    > <childishness snipped>

    Why oh why do you always have to resort to name calling?
    Why not just type <snip> and leave it at that?

    >>> You're a funny man, Ralph, do you know that?

    >> Yes.

    > Snicker!

    Little girls "snicker", and apart from that, in the UK the word is snigger, not
    snicker.

    >>> I only place my maintenance page in a reply if I think it
    >>> is relevant to the problem posted - in this case it is.

    >> But you place it as the first link to visit as if it is more important
    >> than the links below it.

    > I placed it as the first link because it is the first step in
    > troubleshooting the problem. It has nothing to do with

    Bullshit, how does your page deal with the OP's problem?

    > import; it has everything to do with the fact that you
    > now have a bee in your bonnet.

    No I don't.

    >>> Has somebody rattled your cage, Ralph?

    >> No, I am just treating people in the same way they treat others.

    > You have a bruised ego, Ralph, and it's showing.

    No I don't, boy you really are full of yourself, aren't you?
    Do you kiss your reflection when you look in the mirror?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  12. Cuanto

    trout Guest

    Ralph Mann wrote:

    > °Mike° said:
    >
    >> Basic computer maintenance
    >>
    >> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware
    >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>
    >> Spyware Blaster
    >> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    >>

    > Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of spamming.
    > You are placing your own web site/page before other sites totally
    > unconnected to you, and better suited to tackle the OP's issue(s).
    >
    > Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people know it
    > is your personal page?

    The placement reflects that maintenance should be done (including
    the use of the programs mentioned on the page), for the issue for which
    an inquiry was made, before the other recommended programs should be
    used. This was nothing even vaguely resembling spam. But you know this.
    What it is; is further, mounting evidence that you are a sulking,
    childish, petulant dimwit that will resort to any cheap tactic to
    attempt to strike back at those that point out your more obvious
    buffoonery.
    Your posting history clearly shows a pattern of misinformation,
    weaseling, obfuscation and back-pedalling; and it's hardly surprising
    that you are considered a potentially-dangerous incompetent.
    --
    "On top of all this; now you're just tedious."

    trout, Oct 29, 2003
  13. Cuanto

    Ralph Mann Guest

    trout said:

    > Your posting history clearly shows a pattern of misinformation,
    > weaseling, obfuscation and back-pedalling; and it's hardly surprising
    > that you are considered a potentially-dangerous incompetent.

    lol

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  14. Cuanto

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:26:08 -0800, in
    <bnp48n$148usj$-berlin.de>
    trout scrawled:

    >Ralph Mann wrote:
    >
    >> °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> Basic computer maintenance
    >>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >>>
    >>> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >>> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >>> http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>>
    >>> Ad-Aware
    >>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>>
    >>> Spyware Blaster
    >>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    >>>
    >>> HijackThis
    >>> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    >>>

    >> Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of spamming.
    >> You are placing your own web site/page before other sites totally
    >> unconnected to you, and better suited to tackle the OP's issue(s).
    >>
    >> Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people know it
    >> is your personal page?

    > The placement reflects that maintenance should be done (including
    >the use of the programs mentioned on the page), for the issue for which
    >an inquiry was made, before the other recommended programs should be
    >used. This was nothing even vaguely resembling spam. But you know this.
    > What it is; is further, mounting evidence that you are a sulking,
    >childish, petulant dimwit that will resort to any cheap tactic to
    >attempt to strike back at those that point out your more obvious
    >buffoonery.
    > Your posting history clearly shows a pattern of misinformation,
    >weaseling, obfuscation and back-pedalling; and it's hardly surprising
    >that you are considered a potentially-dangerous incompetent.

    Well said sir.

    --
    "Articulate as ever."

    °Mike°, Oct 29, 2003
  15. Cuanto

    Daeron Guest

    Cuanto wrote:

    > Hey All,
    >
    > I have a computer in the shop that when you click on Internet
    > Explorer or any other web browser (I tried to install netscape), we
    > get the following error message. "Iexplore caused a divide error in
    > module <unknown> at 0000:00d40d5" and we also get a "invalid page
    > fault in module unknown" error messages. Here is what I have tried
    > already, searched the MSFT KB, there were some articles on this, had
    > to do with some accelerator programs, these were not on this
    > computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows 98 SE, Internet
    > Explorer, and TCP/IP. ...

    working from memory: There are some DLLs that get corrupt. These are not
    removed when you uninstall. You have to rename them to something else
    *after* you uninstall, wininet.dll and winsock.dll. Also uninstall
    DialUp Networking as well as the entire 'Network' settings in
    ControlPanel. Reboot and then install from scratch.
    -

    Sometimes running an 'upgrade' version of Win98 cures the problem.
    Of course this upgrade *has* to be newer than the one on the machine.

    Sometimes after running the 'upgrade' version on the corrupt one. You do
    get back a working Windows but all the icons are on the left and cannot
    be moved. There is a cure for this but it escapes me for the moment.

    Hope this has been of some help. Has your customer considered upgrading
    to Linux ?

    Daeron, Oct 29, 2003
  16. Cuanto

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:26:08 -0800, trout wrote:

    >Ralph Mann wrote:
    >
    >> °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> Basic computer maintenance
    >>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >>>
    >>> Spybot Search & Destroy
    >>> http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >>> http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>>
    >>> Ad-Aware
    >>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>>
    >>> Spyware Blaster
    >>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    >>>
    >>> HijackThis
    >>> http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    >>>

    >> Now I can better understand why people are accusing you of spamming.
    >> You are placing your own web site/page before other sites totally
    >> unconnected to you, and better suited to tackle the OP's issue(s).
    >>
    >> Why not just leave it as an entry in your sig so that people know it
    >> is your personal page?

    > The placement reflects that maintenance should be done (including
    >the use of the programs mentioned on the page), for the issue for which
    >an inquiry was made, before the other recommended programs should be
    >used. This was nothing even vaguely resembling spam. But you know this.
    > What it is; is further, mounting evidence that you are a sulking,
    >childish, petulant dimwit that will resort to any cheap tactic to
    >attempt to strike back at those that point out your more obvious
    >buffoonery.
    > Your posting history clearly shows a pattern of misinformation,
    >weaseling, obfuscation and back-pedalling; and it's hardly surprising
    >that you are considered a potentially-dangerous incompetent.
    >--
    >"On top of all this; now you're just tedious."

    Well done! Well done indeed. :)

    "An excellent summation. I should Knight you for this, but it's hard to imagine
    a fish kneeling."

    --Sam Brown

    Mara, Oct 29, 2003
  17. Cuanto

    Shep© Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:42:04 -0600, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Cuanto"
    <> wrote :

    >Hey All,
    >
    >I have a computer in the shop that when you click on Internet Explorer or
    >any other web browser (I tried to install netscape), we get the following
    >error message. "Iexplore caused a divide error in module <unknown> at
    >0000:00d40d5" and we also get a "invalid page fault in module unknown"
    >error messages. Here is what I have tried already, searched the MSFT KB,
    >there were some articles on this, had to do with some accelerator programs,
    >these were not on this computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows
    >98 SE, Internet Explorer, and TCP/IP. The computer will connect to the
    >internet, but when I go to a command prompt and try to ping an address, ie.
    >www.yahoo.com, it comes back unknown host. I can however, ping the IP
    >address. Reformatting and reloading from scratch would be my preference,
    >but the customer does not want to do this and I'd like to figure out what's
    >going on with it. I appreciate any and all replies!
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >
    >JMC
    >Jasper Computer Repair
    >
    >www.jaspercomp.com

    Try here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/repair.html
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/clean.html
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Oct 29, 2003
  18. Cuanto

    Cuanto Guest

    Hey All,

    I got it going finally! Turned out to be a multitude of problems, no qhost
    virus though. Anyways, Thanks for the few replys that were intelligent and
    helpful, I think it's obvious which one's were good and which were just
    blowing smoke cause they had no clue. But ah well, such is IT. Thanks!

    JMC

    Cuanto, Oct 31, 2003