internet explorer doesn't work on 2003 server 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by news, Jan 1, 2009.

  1. news

    news Guest

    hello,
    whenever I try to start IE on win2k3 64bit it fails to start.
    The event viewer shows eventID 1000 with application error from
    iexplorer. It shows urlmon.dll fails.

    I was getting RPC errors from terminal server clients (this server is
    setup as a term. server).

    It had SP2 and I saw several posts saying the RPC errors were due to
    SP2. I removed SP2 and the RPC errors went away.

    However, now I can't get IE to work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Oskar

    news, Jan 1, 2009

  2. The solution is almost never to roll back a service pack. There were some
    issues with SP2 and _some_ network cards. The solution was to disable TCP
    Chimney offload, ReceiveSideScaling (RSS) and jumbo frames.

    Further, you don't specify which version of IE (32bit or 64bit).

    I would reapply the SP, reset IE to it's default settings, and change the
    settings on your network card(s) to disable the advanced features that are
    causing the issues.
    (HKLM:\system\CurrentControlSet\services\tcpip\Parameters\, then:
    * DisableTaskOffload =1
    * EnableRSS=0
    * EnableTCPA=0
    * EnableTCPChimney=0

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 1, 2009

  3. news

    news Guest

    Hi Charlie,
    this is the most detailed explanation I've ever seen for why SP2 caused
    the RPC problems! Thank you :)

    I've reset IE (both 32 and 64 bit were failing with same errors) and
    disabled third party plugins.

    I'll do as you suggest and post the results.

    Thank you!!

    Oskar

    news, Jan 1, 2009
  4. news

    news Guest

    HI Charlie,
    I've reinstalled SP2 and did the registry changes as you suggested.
    too bad I'm still getting the same problem (IE won't start and get
    urlmon.dll error)

    I did notice one thing. After I installed SP2 (but before I did the
    registry changes you suggested) IE would crash as soon as I logged in
    and the login was slow.

    After I did the registry changes and rebooted, the login was fast. IE
    wouldn't crash during login but only when I tried to start it (32 or 64bit).

    Thanks,

    Oskar

    news, Jan 2, 2009
  5. news

    cptjer88

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I just experienced this exact issue. more careful review of event viewer showed event 1005, windows cannot access "..documents and settings\...\content.ie5\index.dat. Created alternate admin account, logged in and long story short, deleted \\(profile)\temporary internet folder logged back in as administrator and presto!! everything works!!

    before figuring this out, converted out of terminal server mode. After, turned terminal server back on and problem did not come back!

    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    cptjer88, Jul 21, 2010