    Explorer Setup. Setup will now close." So apparently, IE did not finish installing at one point or another, and now is stuck in this state. Yes, I have edited the registry about a billion times, and nothing. I've called Microsoft support, and they have led me to nowhere. I do not remember how this happened, but I literally tried EVERYTHING. Yes, I have also done sfc /scannow and that did not find a thing. I used Registry Mechanic to try to repair the registry, that did not change anything at all. I have downloaded WinSockFix, which did nothing. I have downloaded the IEFix and LSPFix, which did nothing either. At one point, I thought that one of the windows updates might have killed my IE. I uninstalled all the updated that have been installed recently, and by recently I mean about 3-4 months. As you can tell, I am very frustrated. :banghead:

    So PLEASE, if anybody has something ELSE besides the fixes above (because that's about all I could find online) I would GREATLY appreciate it.

    Konstantin
    dimension89, Oct 2, 2006

  2. dimension89

    shrinkwrap

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Eradicating IE

    There's a great freebie called IEradicator.
    IEradicator is a tiny (~25k), free utility to strip IE4 and IE5 from unmodified Windows98 or Windows98SE installations without requiring any additional files.

    I have found that it does a good job of removing many files with IE9 and IE10
    in WinXP too.

    Download it from:
    Code:
    http://www.litepc.com/ier_lic.html

    Then, of course, reboot and reinstall IE of your choice.
    Good luck.
    :listen:
    shrinkwrap, Oct 21, 2006