Internet Explorer Broken After Windows Update (Can't access Internet Tools, Security Zones Gone)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Night Owl, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Night Owl

    Night Owl Guest

    I used Internet Explorer to apply some updates to my system (Win2K,
    SP3). A while after re booting I started the browser up again and
    found that it was broken. The symptoms are as follows:

    1. From within IE
    Doesn't browse anywhere; the file / open menu won't respond, URLs can
    be entered into the address bar but browser won't attempt. Also, when
    selecting the /Tools/Internet Options menu, nothing happens. NO error
    messages are displayed.

    2. When starting Internet Options from within the Control Panel
    The security Zones are gone. When I look at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Zones, I see 5 sub-keys, each with a slew of entries.

    I have tried re-booting the system and finding a solution for this but
    haven't been successful. Any help would be appreciated.

    Night Owl, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Night Owl wrote:

    > I used Internet Explorer to apply some updates to my system (Win2K,
    > SP3). A while after re booting I started the browser up again and
    > found that it was broken. The symptoms are as follows:
    >
    > 1. From within IE
    > Doesn't browse anywhere; the file / open menu won't respond, URLs can
    > be entered into the address bar but browser won't attempt. Also, when
    > selecting the /Tools/Internet Options menu, nothing happens. NO error
    > messages are displayed.
    >
    > 2. When starting Internet Options from within the Control Panel
    > The security Zones are gone. When I look at
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\Zones, I see 5 sub-keys, each with a slew of entries.
    >
    > I have tried re-booting the system and finding a solution for this but
    > haven't been successful. Any help would be appreciated.

    Since 2K originally came with IE5.5, the IE you have must be an upgrade and
    should have the "repair/uninstall" entry in control panel/software list. Or
    at least you can take IE6SP1 from one of the magazine cds and install it
    over.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Night Owl

    Night Owl Guest

    It looks like my problems go deeper than IE. When I double click (or
    single click and hit enter on) Add/Remove Programs, nothing happens;
    the app. won't load and no error messages are displayed.

    Night Owl, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Night Owl

    Night Owl Guest

    Ok, I grabbed IE using a working PC (as opposed to mine which doesn't
    work anymore). The procedure used was what is posted here:
    http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

    I then copied the install (Downloads) directory over to my system and
    started the installation.

    I can launch the installer and accept the license agreement, but the I
    get the following error message:

    The procedure entry point <some non printable characters here>
    UrlCombineA could not be located in the dynamic link library ole
    32.dll.

    I click on ok (only option) and get presented with an error message
    from Windows Update.

    I've tried booting into safe mode to see if the previously described
    problems would not appear in safe mode but they did. I also found out
    the WMV files no longer play (same error as the IE installer). I
    didn't try running the IE installer in safe mode.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Night Owl, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Night Owl wrote:

    > I can launch the installer and accept the license agreement, but the I
    > get the following error message:
    >
    > The procedure entry point <some non printable characters here>
    > UrlCombineA could not be located in the dynamic link library ole
    > 32.dll.
    >
    > I click on ok (only option) and get presented with an error message
    > from Windows Update.
    >
    > I've tried booting into safe mode to see if the previously described
    > problems would not appear in safe mode but they did. I also found out
    > the WMV files no longer play (same error as the IE installer). I
    > didn't try running the IE installer in safe mode.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Damn. Noone else?
    Appears it's time for a format (don't think a repair install will heal the
    registry, but try first). If you need to format, consider making about 10G
    free for a full-featured linux distribution. You will feel as helpless as
    with your windows now, at a first glance, but there are rather supportive
    newsgroups and maybe even a LUG near your location. And with linux you are
    never really lost.
    At least do yourself the favor and try out a live cd: www.distrowatch.com

    Now forgive my linux advertising, but I am a happy camper for 2 years. No
    virus, no spyware, no registry :)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Night Owl

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Night Owl wrote:
    > Damn. Noone else?
    > Appears it's time for a format (don't think a repair install will heal the
    > registry, but try first). If you need to format, consider making about 10G
    > free for a full-featured linux distribution. You will feel as helpless as
    > with your windows now, at a first glance, but there are rather supportive
    > newsgroups and maybe even a LUG near your location. And with linux you are
    > never really lost.
    > At least do yourself the favor and try out a live cd: www.distrowatch.com

    What a complete crock of shit.

    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Night Owl

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Night Owl" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I grabbed IE using a working PC (as opposed to mine which doesn't
    > work anymore). The procedure used was what is posted here:
    > http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

    That was stupid. And prone to errors.

    > I then copied the install (Downloads) directory over to my system and
    > started the installation.
    >
    > I can launch the installer and accept the license agreement, but the I
    > get the following error message:
    >
    > The procedure entry point <some non printable characters here>
    > UrlCombineA could not be located in the dynamic link library ole
    > 32.dll.
    >
    > I click on ok (only option) and get presented with an error message
    > from Windows Update.
    >
    > I've tried booting into safe mode to see if the previously described
    > problems would not appear in safe mode but they did. I also found out
    > the WMV files no longer play (same error as the IE installer). I
    > didn't try running the IE installer in safe mode.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    You need to uninstall what you've done and install from a cd. And BTW, Win2K
    did not come originally with IE 5.5 like some other idiot mentioned.
    If you dont won't to wait for MS to mail you a CD , find anyone who has
    purchased a retail boxed modem in the last year or so, and borrow the disk
    that came with it. You'll find a copy of IE 6 there.

    ImhoTech, Dec 7, 2004
  8. Night Owl

    Night Owl Guest

    The reason why I didn't simply start over is that I didn't want to be
    bothered and was hoping for a quick fix. But, all good things must
    come to an end. I got a good run out of this box and decided that it
    is time to move on. The HW isn't exactly state of the art anymore so
    I'll be buying a new system for a new start and transfer my data over.

    I'll be re-using the old box as a server, probably with Linux (maybe
    even as a terminal server; it has enough horsepower). I've used
    various Linux distros on and off for the last 4 years or so and have
    seen tremendous progress there. I plan on doing multi-boot and maybe
    some VM stuff on my new system; I've posted the config I'm considering
    in a thread titled "Request for help to validate a new PC hardware
    configuration". I'm interested in constructive comments on these
    choices.

    Thank you for your help.

    Night Owl, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Night Owl wrote:

    > The reason why I didn't simply start over is that I didn't want to be
    > bothered and was hoping for a quick fix. But, all good things must
    > come to an end. I got a good run out of this box and decided that it
    > is time to move on. The HW isn't exactly state of the art anymore so
    > I'll be buying a new system for a new start and transfer my data over.

    Nice idea, and Christmas is near :)

    > I'll be re-using the old box as a server, probably with Linux (maybe
    > even as a terminal server; it has enough horsepower). I've used
    > various Linux distros on and off for the last 4 years or so and have
    > seen tremendous progress there. I plan on doing multi-boot and maybe
    > some VM stuff on my new system; I've posted the config I'm considering
    > in a thread titled "Request for help to validate a new PC hardware
    > configuration". I'm interested in constructive comments on these
    > choices.
    >
    > Thank you for your help.

    You are welcome :)
    Honestly, I earn my living mostly from the existence of windows, and most of
    the time (after tweaking some apps registry settings to work as non-admin,
    or adjusting some permissions for datafiles some programs still place in
    system folders) it works. In a corporate environment, behind a strong (unix
    powered) firewall and proxy, that is. NOT "in the wild" directly connected
    to the internet. So if you make a NAT router out of your "old" pc, with
    linux/iptables, you could feel a bit more safe behind that one. But then,
    there is still spyware and e-mail viruses. Both not yet a threat for linux.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 8, 2004
  10. ImhoTech wrote:

    > What a complete crock of shit.

    Does this help the OP?
    *PLONK*
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Night Owl

    ImhoTech Guest

    ImhoTech, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Night Owl

    > You are welcome :)
    > Honestly, I earn my living mostly from the existence of windows, and most
    > of
    > the time (after tweaking some apps registry settings to work as non-admin,

    Blah Blah Blah...You didnt GIVE him any help numbnurts.

    ImhoTech, Dec 8, 2004